Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Distributing DarkBasic Pro Applications

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2004 23:50
I have a partially developed game that I want to send to some friends so they can have a look - the game has several graphic and sound files to complement it, and I was wondering how best to go about getting it to them.

What I don't want is for people to have access to these files - is there a way of having them "bound" to the game, either as one large exe file or as a supplemental data file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2004 23:59
look in the dbp IDE, there is a way to embed the media into the exe

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 00:00
Well, you could check the option "Include Media", and "Encypt", "Compress Media". They are still accessable, however, because DBP just extracts them to a temp directory. The only real way of doing it is to make your own formats. While its not perfect, since its theoretically possible for someone to figure out the file format, it makes it much harder.

Another way to do it is convert the media to a memblock, then save the memblock, then later load the memblock, and convert back to media.

You could also use some simple encryption routines such as replacement, XOR, or shifting.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 00:41
I must admit I find the level of documentation you get with DarkBasic Professional both in printed version and the IDE in-built help woefully inadequate - I'm not exactly new to programming (I do it for a living in fact) and I struggle with it.

I cannot find anything at all in the help that explains the process of creating the different types of EXE file it gives you with any usefulness.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

I'm not having a dig at the product itself as I think it's a cracking language to work with but the help leaves a lot to be desired.
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 00:49
Actually, i dont think there is any documentation on that. Just on commands.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 03:57
The RGT ZIP plugin allows you to unzip to a memblock with passwords. That would probably be the most secure method.
--
TAZ

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 15:56
Thanks for the replies - the protecting of images e.t.c. was really secondary to the shipping of the media with the application.

I might go down the InstallShield route and simply get that to place the media into the folders where it is required - at least then I know it's going to work - then look at the other methods when I understand them more.

Thanks again.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 17:43
Inno Setup

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 03:54
Erm what is that exactly - I don't post in the beginner's section for nothing you know
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 04:37
If I understand you correctly, yo want to be able to ditribute your game with media (encrypted or not/embedded or not) in the correct pathing scheme for an installer, correct?

If so then look into a free program called Inno Setup. It's absolutely awesome and 100% configurable, and 100% professional.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 14:50
Nice one I'll give that a look when I get home from work - thanks a million.
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 02:17
I used it and I have to say it's a great little application - thanks a lot for recommending it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:40:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:40:39