Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Half-Life 1.5?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 16:36
Everyone is aware of the total screw up that happened at Valve a few months back what turned into the biggest gaming media circus in history.
[personally i'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't a publicity stunt]

however Hackers, Crackers and all sorts of dark bedroom genius have now had access to the HL2 "source" for almost 5months now.
This should've been plenty of time to release something which was in this source.

As i understand the underground has 'working' versions of HL2, but they're not perfect, nor are they really easily available.
However the SDK had something in it that quite frankly, i'm interested in knowing if anyone has released or got fully working.

It had something in it called Half-Life 1.5 ...
now this was basically a total rewrite of the HL engine, using the new Source Engine. Basically HL with HL2 graphics and stuff.
I could get the exe working and everything, however the directory setup alway bitched at me. So all i could ever get working was the runtime demos.

I now have an urge [don't ask why] to play HL again from start to end... and i want to do it using this engine upgrade.
Quite frankly I don't want to wait 6months and have to buy a game i don't particularly even want to play something that should've been out by now.
Sure HL2's content and source was leaked and that was a tragedy for HL2 fans... but the HL content has been available for 7years now.
I don't and i know alot of other fans of the original don't give a damn about hackers getting into our engine source, as quite frankly I don't plan to play HL online; i just want to play the single player experience in the best context i can!

I want a copy of the 1.5 update. And for the life of me i can't see how the hell your suppose to buy anything through steam as there is no bloody shop on it. Not that it is even on there.

So could someone kindly find me a copy of this that someone has rebuilt or put the word out that this is actually wanted.
It's times like this i kinda wish i knew people in the underground scene lol

wonder... is this considered a request for pirated software? cause from what i can tell the engine won't be the same as the leaked, and there is no media.
So it is only being built from stolen source, which i'm not asking for; just the end result compile. [upto you Rich]

guess if no, i'll see if i can get the source out of backup and have another bash at it.

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 16:50
There is a pirate HL2 which is like a collection of demonstrations (playable) using source engine. If you are desperate they are around the asian/russian areas. as far as I know (i dont have the pirate copy) it is playable maybe Kazaa or Ares will help.

00-----====JaCkPoT====-----00
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 16:50
The SDK contained a game?

What I read was that someone ran all the HL .bsp's through the new engine to make HL that looked like HL2 - I've seen screenshots of it. That sounds like what you mean (the original game with amazing graphics). But a lot of the levels don't work properly, the physics makes some of them uncompleteable, but I guess by now it could have been tinkered.

I saw it on Bittorrent a few times.

Coming Soon...
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
At least it was not the Doom 3 source.

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR, Windos XP home edition.
-----------------------And a Katana.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 16:53
Alright.... everybody stay cool....

Coming Soon...
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 17:33
Sorry Raven but your request is illegal and inappropriate. You shouldn't be asking for assistance with pirated software of any sort.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah well HL2 and Doom3 i plan to get them both muwahahahah

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 17:50
Put it whatever context you like Raven, I agree with Phil, whatever state the source/media is in when you receive a "compile" of it, the whole things stems from an illegal act - the stolen source code. You can say whatever you want, and try and sugar coat this whatever way, you are perpetuating lying, cheating and thievery. You are advocating software piracy. You have onec again shown your true colors. I believe you have violated not only unwritten human standards but the rules of these message boards and you deserved to be banned. You are as bad as CMC.

hope to not see you real soon.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 18:40
Oki i'll make this clear for you, this is a grey area of a request.

point 1] the stolen source - yes the source is stolen to be created from... however a binary created is the property of THAT individual/company, not of those who developed the source.

point 2] no media or source is being requested. i am not asking for anything actually illegal itself, i understand the means to create it is. I own a legal copy of Half-Life 1 (infact i own 3 copies for some reason), so this is purely the binary.

point 3] no editing must be done to the source to create the binary from the source; infact it's a simple case of running the batch compile and then putting the files in the right directories.
So i'm not even asking for something that would mean legally tampering or making the source no longer valves... this is a request because Valve WILL NOT be releasing the upgrade not even as part of HL2. (which means ONCE AGAIN the fans are screwed over!)

the request is valid, but wether is it appropriot is up to Rich.
what i would be downloading wouldn't be illegal, and i'm not asking anyone here to create it. i am simply asking where it is, as surely someone has created it by now.

HL 1.5 is HL engine reprogrammed into Source engine. It is NOT the HL2 engine (don't make that mistake, as they're different), it contains nothing but an upgrade for HL 1.

It is up to you how to look at it. Quite frankly i'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that the source isn't out there.
Cause it is, and it has caused HL2 to be delayed almost 6months. You think i'm happy about that? Hell no.
But if this bloody source is going to be out there, someone can atleast do something useful for the fans!

I'm sick and tired of being screwed over because some lil hacker wants to joyride through some damn server or release some game prematurely.

The game this would be released for is 7years old...
The update won't work unless you have a current HL 1 copy...
No doubt it will still require the CD-Key which means it isn't for advocating piracy...
No media is being requested...

I just want the god damn update for HL1 that quite frankly, WE ARE OWE!
You might be content with this source being put into the background and everyone pretending that the 1/3rd rewrite that Valve are doing (hell lets face it 1/3rd means it isn't even going to be the same bloody engine!), and for once perhaps the fans can actually get something worth while from it.

I mean FGS, mod developers should have the SDK development tools like updated WorldCraft w.HL2 format exporting.
There should be a level tester...
There should be a model exporter for Maya/Max/XSI...

but now... even though THESE elements aren't going to chance, Valve are still not releasing these because of the theft.
I don't want a bloody game, i just want an update that quite frankly is owe!

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 19:07 Edited at: 21st Mar 2004 19:12
It sounds illegal to me. You are asking for stolen goods. The backup debate doesn't include stolen goods. I own Half Life, but I am not allowed to own stolen Half Life games just because I own the original.

Quote: "(which means ONCE AGAIN the fans are screwed over!)"

That quote is pure nonesense. Fans aren't screwed over by a game upgrade that doesn't exist. You don't have automatic rights to all of their media. It sounds a bit of a spoiled attitude.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 19:08
Quote: "HL 1.5 is HL engine reprogrammed into Source engine. It is NOT the HL2 engine (don't make that mistake, as they're different), it contains nothing but an upgrade for HL 1."

Then who made this upgraded version?
Was it valve? if so, then they have reasons for not realising it.

If not, who? and did they still something from valve?

if the answer is yes, then it is inapproprate for this forum.

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 20:17
I suggest anyone with any doubts go back and read the halflife 1.5 EULA. I am sure that nowhere in it mentions:

"If you are unhappy due to the fact that we havent released a patch/upgrade/new game in a timely manner deemed by you, you have the right to create it for yourself predicated on stolen code"

get real

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 20:53
The source is Valves... they're not releasing it, this was not only stated during a recently interview about what HL2 will hold; but alot of people who have emailed about it were told that this never even existed (even during the leak they said that it DID exist!!).
Somewhere along the line, WE are being screwed.

No doubt the reason would be they'd need to recode HL 1.5 to suit the new Source engine. Personally I don't give a damn thier reasons, all i know is there is something that we were originally planned which we ain't gonna see now.

This has nothing to do with any extra media or anything...
Having HL doesn't entitle me to a new game; but if they have created a working update... then that I AM entitled to.
Particularly if there doesn't appear to be any reason for not releasing that they are just catagorically denying it's existance.

I know this is out there; i just want to know where.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 20:58
Tell you what i'll put it in terms you guys will understand...
if the source for DB Std found it's way into someones hands and in that source was a planned 1.2 update will added user defined typing and type casting into DB Std/Ehd; yet TGC didn't release it, not because it wasn't ready but to make sure that DB Pro was uniqué to having these features.

And this patch had been built... and you knew that DB Pro was still a good 3months away and that you'd have to spend say $50/£30 just to upgrade to a new system just for these features.

What exactly would you be thinking?
Oh well let's wait for something, that honestly i don't want to buy; or would you want to get that unreleased update?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 21:01 Edited at: 21st Mar 2004 21:01
Quote: "Tell you what i'll put it in terms you guys will understand..."

this is where you continually go wrong and why no one has any respect for you.

Tell it to a wall, you'll have better results.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 21:10 Edited at: 21st Mar 2004 21:11
Quote: "What exactly would you be thinking?"

It's their code, they are free to sell it, delete it, pretend it doesn't exist, not release it to make another product look better, whatever they want. Just because I want it does not give me the right to infringe their copyright to get it.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
the windows source code is also stealed

Éljen Magyarország! Jawoll
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Tell you what i'll put it in terms you guys will understand...
if the source for DB Std found it's way into someones hands and in that source was a planned 1.2 update will added user defined typing and type casting into DB Std/Ehd; yet TGC didn't release it, not because it wasn't ready but to make sure that DB Pro was uniqué to having these features.
"

It's not the same. Should read...If it were stolen from TGC, causing pirating of its source. Then a re-release were made available underground.

Then you would post on Blitz, and ask for it?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 00:01
The decision to release source code is completely up to the owners - in this case Valve. The fact that they have decided not to release publically does not mean that having a copy from someone else is not piracy - just the opposite in fact.

You are not being screwed. Let me repeat that ... You are not being screwed.

You have not paid for this source or the binary. In fact, since Valve developers spent time developing this software, they are carrying the cost themselves with no income to offset it - they are only screwing themselves.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:26:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:26:11