Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Shallow Grave...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 17:19
Very good movie I must've seen it 30 times...I'm taping it for it's on tonight. héhé

Anyone else liked it?
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 17:55
I have it on video - it is fantastic. You must like those gritty Scottish movies ehh Act?. The thing I like about them is it's like they could'nt care less about what makes a movie successful and they make the movie they want. The makers of Trainspotting we're shocked at how well recieved it was in other countries.

My favourite part in Shallow Grave is when they're interviewing the potential flatmates, and the geeky guy comes in (won't spoil anything, shhhh).

There are a few films like that, similar style, here's a couple you should check out if you get the chance:

Small Faces.
The Acid House.
Local Hero.

There was a series called 'Looking after Jo-Jo', starred Robert Carlyle who played Begbie in Transpotting. It was really good, but I don't know if you could get it anywhere.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:21
Yeah I like simplicity and everyday life in movies,doesn't mean I hate SW though.

You'd be surprised how popular European culture is in Canada and especially in Quebec.

I'll check those movies out,especially the one from Irvine Welsh .

Local hero sounds familiar I think my local Video store's got it.

Unfortunately,I can't recommend you much movies from here for you'd have to understand spoken French and beyond...Since even people from france have hard times understanding us too.

If you want to try though or just laugh at our 'heads' just go there for a few vids:

http://www.quebechumour.com/elvis/videos/index.html

That movie's a national treasure..lmao check out the beer-belly on the bottom of the page!

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 19:36
Trainspotting got immediately criticised in the UK for 'promoting' drugs.

WTF?

It's all about the horrible things drugs do to you! Some people are really dull!

Well, at least we all can say that we're not so narrow minded, right?

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 19:59
Ever seen Cannabis 101?

People criticized it eventhough it does only feature one harmless drug.Well now will come the debate of will it get you to use harder stuff...Depends on you,not it!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 20:31
Here here Act - my sentiments exactly. They should ban every British soap opera, cos they promote alcohol - every single character is in the pub at lunchtime and at night!.

Van-B
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 22:31
51st State!

You gotta see it.

Expecially when the guy in the VIP box at a liverpool match gets blown up just as Liverpool score.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 23:07
?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 00:49
Most if not all British soap operas suck anyway. Their humour is so low I can't imagine how they're so popular. Oh wait, the general public likes it.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
american soap operas suck. they're always so unlikely and the acting is so horrible and the plot is always like "jessica just had tom's evil twin's son's baby, but is it really hers or was it swapped for brandy's daughter at the hospital by the blind nurse?"

mexican soap operas are know for being even hokier and worse acting, which is pretty hard to do

i'm looking at yooooou!
Dynamo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 05:01
Yeah, but the Mexican soap opera stars are really good looking, so I'd watch them despite not being able to understand a word of Spanish.

The only foriegn show I watch is a German news show that I tape occaisionally so I can stay exposed to the language. Can't go forgetting it now can I?

A cloud! I found out he's a cloud!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 09:21
american soap operas suck. they're always so unlikely and the acting is so horrible and the plot is always like "jessica just had tom's evil twin's son's baby, but is it really hers or was it swapped for brandy's daughter at the hospital by the blind nurse?"

mexican soap operas are know for being even hokier and worse acting, which is pretty hard to do

you forgot that the picture is way to clear... O_O i dont know why... i think all other shows dim it ... brighten it ... or blur it... but soap operas... crystal clear... =P it adds to the cheap poor quality effect...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 22:37
American soap...

Fred walks in

(everyone cheers)

Fred says "hello" to John

(everyone laughs)

John says "I'm going home, cya later"

(everyone says "oooohhhhhh")

Fred says "ok, bye"

(everyone says "aaaawwwwwwww")

Well, with exaggeration exempt, that's what it's like.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:24