Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why can't I texture my objects correctly?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 22:50 Edited at: 21st Mar 2004 22:59
I made some object with 3DStudio Max 5, converted them to .X (some with Deep Exploration and some with the converter that comes with Dark Basic) and worte a simple program to see how they'd look textured in Dark Basic (I use Dark Basic Classic). The problem is, they look all messed up! Is there something wrong with them?
If someone is willing to help, you can download the code snippet and some objects at http://devilmaster.supereva.it/test.zip
I thank you in advance.

P.S.
In case you need a reference, my INTENTION was to give the "synthoid" object a golden body and a blue head (but instead it's a complete mess), and the "boulder" texture was supposed to be spread evenly on all the object (but instead it doesn't even show up)!
Video Boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't anyone have a clue?
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 21:51
open MAX and take a screeny of your model with texture (print-screen, paste in mspaint, save as JPG, go to www.posergallery.com and upload it.)

Open darkbasic and make a screeny aswell, so we can SEE the problem

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Video Boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "open MAX and take a screeny of your model with texture"

Uh-oh, so THAT's why the textures won't apply correctly in Dark Basic... I haven't textured the object in 3DS!
I don't even know how to do, I need someone to explain me step by step how to texture an object in 3DStudio Max!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 21:12
Quote: "The problem is, they look all messed up!"

Patch 5.2 has a VERY nasty bug where it will display un-triangulated .X models as a semi-imploded disaster. Fixes:

1. Remove all the quads in your model by triangulation. or...
2. Use a different model format (only the .X parser is hosed.) or...
3. Uninstall DBP and install back up to patch 5.1.
--
TAZ

Video Boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Patch 5.2 has a VERY nasty bug where it will display un-triangulated .X models as a semi-imploded disaster. Fixes:

1. Remove all the quads in your model by triangulation. or...
2. Use a different model format (only the .X parser is hosed.) or...
3. Uninstall DBP and install back up to patch 5.1.
--"

What???
I said I use Dark Basic Classic, not DBPro! And the models themselves look fine, I just can't texture them! For example, here is how the "synthoid" object looks in my program:

Instead my intention was to make its body solid gold and its head solid blue!
But again, I don't know how to apply textures in 3DStudio Max, so I need someone to teach me that...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 22:13
I think theres some tutorials on UV Mapping the object in 3DS that come on one of the CDs..forgot which one...sorry Theres always the internet

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 23:26 Edited at: 24th Mar 2004 23:27
My bad, I missed the fact that you were using DBC.

If you don't know how to set the UV coordinates in 3DS Max, just read the manual.
--
TAZ

Video Boy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm back after reading the manual and understanding the basics of texture mapping. I've been able to texture some of my objects the way I intended to, but I have another question. Does something like "one-way planar mapping" exist?
As you can see here

I gave this object a planar mapping. The front (on the left) looks the way I intend to, but the back is just a reversed version of the front! Instead, I need it to be plain gray, like the outermost pixels of the texture are! Is it possible?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 20:41 Edited at: 28th Mar 2004 20:42
At least with tools like Metasequoia and Milkshape 3D, you can select half of the faces and assign them to one texture and planar map them. You can then select the other faces, assign them a different texture like solid gray.

If you select ALL faces, it will always create that reverse back images like you have now.

Nice model, BTW.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:35:44