Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DBPro, OS X and alternatives

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I have been using DBPro for over a year on my windows PC but have recently purchased a mac. I have a copy of Virtual PC running Windows 98 but I get an error message as soon as I try to install DBPro. Does anyone know if it is possible to run DB under Virtual PC?
If it is not possible, does anyone know of a similar programming language that is mac native? Is there any chance of a port to the mac of DBPro?

Many thanks,
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 00:11
the only two basic game development languages i know for macs are metal and tntbasic. metal is free and tntbasic costs a little money.
metal is not a full 3d native language but can be rasterised to appear to be 3d.

METAL BASIC can be found here
http://www.iit.edu/~sarimar/GDS/

what direct x version do you have installed on your VPC?

MacAddict
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info Indi. I tried both with XP Home (which I think has DX8 by default) and I installed DX8.1 onto windows 98 from the DBPro CD - installed fine. As soon as I click the link to install DB I get an error message and the installshield quits. Any idea why? I appreciate that even if I can get it to work I shouldn't expect much in the way of performance but I really just want to write some simple 2D apps.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 11:35
Quote: "DB under Virtual PC"

Its very doubtful - probably the protection system isn't working 'correctly'.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 12:23 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2004 12:25
if you have upgraded to DBP with patches u may require dx9.0b.

use metal basic for simple 2d apps if you cant get DBP to run.. the code is kinda similar since they share a basic syntax.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:45:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:45:00