Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What to buy? DBPro vs. DB. Which bundle pack is best?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 18:03
Ok, so I'm considering buying a DB bundle pack since this all looks great but whats the best option?

The DBPro with DMatter and 3D Canvas Pro, Texture Maker, Geoscape 3D, and Cartography Shop $300

-or-

DB, DarkMatter, The 3D Gamemaker and Cartography Shop $142

I can afford both but I'll be broke if I get the DBPro package... I'm open to suggestions for other bundles but what is the best choice in your opinions? Is DBPro worth the extra cash? Am I missing much w/o The 3D Gamemaker?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice =)

Also, If I get this can I load it up on some of my friend's computers so we can all work on it to make a game?

Ask not for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for ye!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 18:24
I don't know about the bundles or whatever but definitely get DBPro over DBC, however you have to do it. You won't be sorry. If you buy dbc you'll just end up outgrowing it and buying pro anyway so save yourself the headache/time/$

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 18:25
DBpro... you might not need all the other packages right away; they are nice to have.

The ones I recommend are Cartography shop, Texturemaker, and perhaps 3d canvas. (if you can, you can probraby do without dark matter or Geoscape 3D).

I suggest you download All of the trial versions to test out which ones you like the best.

But above all you should get DBpro not DB.

Amist the Blue Skies...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 18:48
I'll second that vote. There are a ton of free/cheap tools out there that you can make your own media for or you can form a team to help you fill in the gaps. Dark Basic Pro puts you on the leading edge of DB game programming.
--
TAZ

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 18:53
In respect to your other question, no you cant load it up on your mates PCs. It'll load, it'll run, but its not legal and after the compile limit kicks in, they'll need to reinsert the CD to compile anymore.

It'll work if you live close by and can nip down the road to lend them the CD, otherwise it'll be a ball ache. Not gonna mention the hacks and cracks.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 20:26
ur not missing anything with the 3d game maker you don't want it, and it's useless to your programming indenture

The Unofficial DarkBASIC Magazine : http://www.dbspot.com/j2dstudios/
Rick the Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 14:46
Thanks for answering my questions .

About the loading up on several comps.. we dont have enough cash to buy several DBPros.. not even close.. and we all want to work on the same game. Are we allowed to have it on several comps if we are just working on the same thing?

Ask not for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for ye!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 15:01
No.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
RAMBO_PM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 15:18 Edited at: 24th Mar 2004 15:32
No...
Almost no commercial License Agreements allow you to do that.

But anyway, if you and your friends really want to put everything in your project, well, you could buy the extra licenses when it's completed... anyway it would be illegal, but not "a bad thing" in my opinion.

In a legal way, you could divide your team, so someone makes the graphics and sounds, and the programmers could write the programs (e.g. in a .TXT) and send to you to compile (using ICQ, MSN Messenger would really help to make it at realtime). It would be really annoying but considering the motivations, you would not regret it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:32:03