Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Splash Plastic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 23:13
Just like to draw young peoples attention to this. Or anyone really. I think its UK exclusive but im unsure.

check out http://www.splashplastic.com

A new, supposedly secure method for people to purchase online similar to the way you top up your mobile phone. You activate your card, then go to your nearest shop that does top ups for splashplastic, give them the card and how much money you want putting on, then its swiped and the amount goes into your account.

Quite a few online shops support it but they all seem to be geared at young people and crap like that, question is will RobK/nuclearglory/TGC or anyone with DB related products ever support this? I hope it takes off because it could solve a lot of young peoples problems, especially those who dont have access to credit cards.

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 12:35
We're actually signed-up for this I believe, we just haven't implemented it yet because (as you pointed out) it's UK only at the moment and most of our customers aren't.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 13:11
Its quite ironic really - a British company having mostly American customers

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 15:33
Wow - I never thought Id hear that Rich. And yes, thats strange that most customers are American. Maybe its something to do with the way its marketed over there?

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 15:54
And the fact that most UK programmers would prefere to buy VB5 to enable them to do some of their coursework. Actually any person doing programming at colege (which i suppose is th target age for dark basci) wwould buy VB as it is the language of choice for nearly all programming courses. And now that M$ has decided (in their wisdom) to drop the home user licencing system (i.e. The Student Licence and non commercial licences) means tyhan UK students need as much money as they can get before even thinking about going into games.

Although i dpo have aproblem is M$ and the licencing of its .net range, i would like to see schools and college teach students about C++ and the smaller languages, and VBA, would mean much better pospects as you dont have to learn a completly new language when you go to uni!!!!

Ok, Rant over, as you were.....

Whats so good about living anywho?
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 15:55
Sorry about spelling as the computer here at college is going in slow mode , so i have to wait 3 minutes every time i type a few lines for the text to slowly come out of the buffer!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 16:02
That'd be all the VB written software on it Martyn

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 18:31
I would have thought the split be more 50/50.

Ah, MS Student Licensing. The good days, when I got Visual Studio Pro 6 for £60 :p

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 19:34
lol,

I use VB casue using C++ for serial communication is harder than most would think!

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 21:45
There was a similar scheme to this not so long ago, about 2 years i think, but it whent belly up after a few months - not enough people suported it.

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 19:18
We don't market our products in the US any differently to in Europe to be honest, it's just there are a hell of a lot more of you

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:28:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:28:27