Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Picture of my latest project / advice needed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm currently making a space sim. Note it is at a very basic stage at the moment.

I only have the trial version at the moment, so I lack any tutourials so future questions may seem silly.

Basically, what I have at the moment, is a ship object (just a quick model I did in 5 mins to use as an example), with some frictionless physics (but I added a bit of friction to make it easier to test)... where you can thrust in one direction and the ship drifts on that way regardless of where you turn... I'm hoping to (when I find out how) add a free look around camera so you can orbit the ship with the camera... At the moment there's a large sphere with a semi space texture that moves with the ship... so your always in the center of it. However if u rotate the sphere doesn't...

Here is a pic - note this is work in progress and at a very early stage (my ship is a rough model and badly textured)...

The problem is, with the matrix turned off, there is no way to tell you are moving at all. So what would be a simple way of creating some sort of 'particle' that flies past your ship when your moving depending on your direction perhaps?

Also how can I make any engine trail effects that are left behind (once again so I can work out which way I'm moving) - But note, this would mean - if I thrust one way then spin 180 - the particals will fire out the back of my ship not, in the direction I'm flying, if you get what I mean.

Another thing I wondered about is how people add that shiny effect to some ships? do they do it when creating the model or is there a function inside DBpro?

Linked in with this, how do I add light sources - for example if I build a sun in space... How can I make it emit a light onto the ship so one side is lit up and the other side is dark... and since I wouldn't want the side to be pitch black - is it possible to have a slight ambient light?

Thanks people, I hope this goes well... I would ideally like to create a game I've been thinking about for ages (in my head) called 'Explora' - where the aim of the game is to explore. So many space games now aday's have the goal of fighting mainly.

In real life however how many of our space ships actually have weapons

Thanks,

Paul J
Shining Moonblade
Years of Service
User Offline
If you texture the backdrop you can put in a Starfield or something like it. Just scroll it with the speed that you're moving, and it makes it look like you're moving. Hope this helps.

Shining Blade of the Night
Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
cheers, here's an updated picture of it so far...

the only prob with a moving backdrop is - it'd mainly be ideal for a 2D based thing and as u can see in the 2nd pic - mine is very much 3d

thanks anyway,

Paul J

Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
oops, wrong link for that pic...

there you go

P.S does anyone know a easy way of reseting a particle effect - so when I switch off my engine, and it hide's (which is what it does now), when I switch it back on - it'll be back at the start, rather than where it was last time.

Thanks,

Paul J

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 00:16
I use the set particle emissions command to start and stop engines, when you set it to zero, no more particles are emitted but the ones still alive keep going. Then when you set it to a higher value again they start from the beginning.

Because a sun is so large you are only likely to be on one side of it, I'd use a directional light for the sun to make the shadows, it's faster than using point or spot lights, and will probably work better.

The shiny effect on ships is done using specular mapping, but I don't think that can be done in DBP yet. You could use sphere mapping to get a similar effect, but not as good. That's assuming you just want a shiny finish on the ship, to get it to actually reflect stuff, use sphere or cube mapping.

To get a motion effect, use a starfield effect. I'm sure I've put code for that somewhere, but I'll try and remember it.

You might have to multiply the x and y by some constant, depending on how good it looks. Change the variables until you are happy. To turn, you'll need to alter it slightly to get the turning effect.
Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your reply, I really appriciate it!

the set particle emissions thing you said, is just the effect I was looking for. Now it goes on and fades off again! its great!

However, (and this happened before) - my particles seem to create the spray of small particles that fade on and off, and then some massive ones like the ones in this pic...

Where the small particles disapear after a few seconds (great for the engine trail) - the large ones, just keep on flying! Why? and what can I do to kill these ones

For example, I'll thrust my engine and then cut it... and it'll fade off the small particles but these ones will continue - makes the effect look odd with loads of long strands following behind...

Thanks again. lol I've only just noticed that in the help file there are descriptions of the commands. I don't know why but the text was appearing white (so I couldn't see it) - I just happened to click and drag over it by accident and discovered a load of text underneathe. heh.

I've added a slight sphere mapping (can't really see it in this pic), but it gives it a more metallic feel.

Any chance of pointing me towards a post about creating and displaying HUDs?

I tried your starfield example, but I don't think it'd work in this situation. Since I have already made several camera modes for it (fixed to ship user controlled, drop camera and point at ship, fly by camera, internal) it may work in one view, but when in a 3d view like fly by, where it tracks the ship it didn't seem quite right, thanks anyway.

Paul J

Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
So far, I have several camera modes...

one where its fixed, one where it drops the camera and points at the space ship, one where it drops the camera - points at the ship and supposedly snaps back infront (to give a flyby effect), one internal one (First person view) and one that bascially is controlled by mouse and u orbit the ship... By moving the mouse left and right it spins around its y axis... by moving it up and down it moves around the horizontal axis and by holding mouse button while moving up and down with mouse it zooms in and out

Sadly the particles are giving me a lot of grief and this may mean I'll have to reduce the effect greatly with some small particle effects.

I'm still trying to figure out a way of showing that I'm moving (when engine is off and I'm not in a fly by camera view), I don't know how easy it would be to do - but perhaps there's a simple way I can create a few small white particles randomly in a area around my ship... these dots stay stationary and when I get a certain distance away from them they are deleted... but at the same time - more are being created infront of me...

therefore showing you are moving, but how easy this would be to do and more importantly how fast it would run after it's done is another matter all together.

If you have any ideas, I'd appriciate them.

Once I've perhaps done a bit more, I might be able to release a beta...

Thanks,
Paul J

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 02:08
I'm sure it would be fairly easy to create a bunch of fixed dust particles that are deleted and created as the ship moves, the way to do this would be to check the distance of the particles behind the ship, when they move out of range then place them at a random x,y point on the plane ahead of the ship, I might write some code for this later. Only problem is, if you are really paying attention to the particles and are moving dead slow, you could reverse and notice that the particles aren't in the same place... I'm sure that won't matter.

This code demonstrates the principle of scrolling dust, it is by no means perfect. The dust is in a 'dust box' which scrolls around as the player moves. Click the mouse to move.
Paul J
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, cheers for your help - I'll see what I can do... I think I might have an idea with what you said... I simply make a large invisible sphere around my ship and say if dust is not colliding with sphere - delete and create at random point...

but the only thing with putting the bits infront of my ship is its hard to work out exactly where the ship is facing etc.

I just tried your example in my world... something must be conflicting with my program because after a short run it ends up crashing...

also, the other prob is that - its ok if when u turn your actually turning... but in my sim - when u turn you carry on drifting in whatever direction you are going... its only if u thrust in the opposite direction that u start changing direction...

however, I think it's given me an idea...

Thanks for you reply!

Note there's another thread somewhere with a lot more up to date pictures on this forum.

Paul J

Wufflez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 03:42
I'm a TOTAL noob to DB, tried it like 2 years ago, gave up =P

But while browsing the forums for tips and stuff, I did have a suggestion for you:

Instead of particles, can you create a thrust effect at all? If you know what a blowtorch is, when the flame goes blue.... or when a space shuttle is taking off.... I think you know what I mean.

Animating would be easier, just a couple of frames or so. One slightly bigger then the other, the first being "idle thrust" with the second (bigger) being for "forward thrust".

Like I said, I'm a noob, and this might not be possible, but am I barking up the wrong polygon?

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 00:24
To change the turning, then just move the dust when you move the ship, when you use x#=x#+xvelocity# or whatever, make the dust move in the opposite direction,

for i=0 to noofdust#-1
dust#(i,0)=dust#(i,0)-xvelocity#
dust#(i,2)=dust#(i,2)-zvelocity#
next i

You could possibly create a flame effect using plains at right angles to each other with flame animations on, which scale to match the thrust applied. Actually, in the first game I made (moonlander 3d) I used a scaleable cone with scrolling fire texture to create the engine effects.
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
I am working on a simillar project myself, but my concept is slightly different in that mine is supposed to have simillar physics, but totaly unreal weoponry. We could exchange code if you are interested, email me on hilmi_al_kindy@hotmail.com

There is not much when it comes to graphics, but I think I have the physics all layed out right.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I like that rocket flame, reminds me of those flash gordon black and white episodes

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:29
OMG what kind of drive can expel that much mass for the size of the emitter. lol

Looks great!

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 18:38
looks great for seting the ship on fire

Skid

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:47:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:47:43