Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Best Selling Game of All Time!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 15:14
I didn't like Emperor at all. I tried it some in single player and I found it very unbalanced between units, don't know about different sides as I only played a few maps with Artreides. There was this walking tank that fired rockets or something really fast and teaming a big group of them with some repair tanks was all I needed to take out anything in my way.

Best regular strategy game I ever played must be Empire Earth though it had some annoying things and is a little thin compared to AoE it had lots of things that made it easy to play. WC3 was great and beautiful with a great story but don't have much strategy to talk about and base building got really boring when you almost had to start from ground up every level.

The Myth series are the greatest when talking strategy but they differ so much from other strategy games that I wanna put them outside the genre =) Myth3 looked amazing and they all had great stories.

DigAw.com
Game in developement: The Magic Land
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 18:22
"The figures I have are the actual sales figures which have been released by EA projection reports"

Okay, calling bluff again. Are they actual sales figures or are they [b]projection reports[/]. And why would EA be inclined to be any more honest than anyone else? Half LIfe is Sierra, and their published numbers are under 2 million, and even Myst sold 4 million copies (http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/q3dmhellchick/small/). We haven't even started counting the FF series, which as of 1999 had already sold over 6 million copies (http://squaresoft.com/web/news/press/press25.html). Then of course there is Bond for N64 with sales in excess of 8 million units (http://www.komotv.com/microsoft/story.asp?ID=20509).

So, I gotsta know where you got your numbers from! The link, mate, the link!

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 18:24
oops...forgot the [/b].

ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 18:29
not to rub salt in the wound, but as of May 2002 the Sims had only sold 6.5 million units worldwide:
http://www.ceangal.com/gaming/statistics.html

another interesting stat is this:
(May 2001) units of Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver sold worldwide to date, according to Nintendo: 48 million

...far more than 22 million (which is really just 6.5 million)

ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 18:38
go chipone, go chipone, go!

mario all time sales: over 30 million units.
http://mb.vgdirectory.com/topten2.htm

i am a stat machine!

...this is me, waiting to hear RV say he was wrong

oh, will i have stories for simple heheheh. rtflmao

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 19:11
This is a direct copy/paste from the Guiness World Records's website.

-The Nintendo game Super Mario Brothers has sold a total of 40.23 million copies worldwide. The 26 games featuring Mario, the character who first appeared in the arcade game Donkey Kong in 1982, have sold more than 152 million copies in total since 1983. More than 40% of US households own a Nintendo game system.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 19:36
erm... oki
gotta say i don't really care, but erm ... thanks for sharing.

I can rest easier knowing about the consoles
Games projections don't take them into account for us, i kinda figured that was a no brainer - but why to waste all your free time that probably deserves some kinda erm something.

Well anyways EA are getting the award because of TheSims as are Maxis. So erm ... if it wasn't really the best selling then surely the award wouldn't goto them?

(^_^) well thats something to ponder.

Oh and I'm aware not many peeps liked Emperor, but then the team who made that was the RA2 team hehee.
We've simply stolen thier engine and tweaked it, actually most of it is recoded especially the netcode which still won't require a broadband - and it won't help alot nither.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 21:29
But RA2 is the best Westwood strategy game ever =)

DigAw.com
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 21:30
thanks for the clarification, actarus...looks like the site that I had as reference only listed the best of the selling games...not all Mario titles made it into that list.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 21:37
RA2 was piss poor... in my own opinion, Tiberium Sun made far better use of the engine.
And Red Alert was the best out of the entire series

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 23:35
In a strategy game there are nothing that is more important then gameplay and RA2 had tons. TS was really horrible to play =)

DigAw.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 02:32
Nope from my perspective RA2 demanded too much from the system and required a pretty high res to actually see anything ... it also suffered from and annoying freeze play bug and the units were horribly unbalanced.
Aside from this the menus were akward to control (definatly not in the new one) ... even the RA2 team thought the gameplay was just terrible, trying to make a quick fix kinda of game adding too many new features.

Came out as a horrible mess in alot of peoples eyes here, they're working on a new game - can't say what it is, but i hope this time they do better.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 08:59
Well, my experience what the exact oposite. I had no bugs, I loved the units and the menues was great =)

DigAw.com
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 02:23
I like RA2 But I had not much time to play it much Oh... I thought Tanya was so cute

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 05:16
well as far as i'm conserned the only thing that actually saved it was the Yuri's Revenge from Alpha
If you bought the twin pack then you probably didn't notice the bugs because most were fixx for a majority of systems. Tiberium Sun had alot of the same problems, but were as noticeable because the engine was under used alot.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 16:45
I've not seen any bugs on RA2 , I even thought the install intro was kinda cool, and so it was on C&C Renegade . The short cuts made with keyboard were cool with buttons one and two to make difents groups. I think it was a great game really, diferently from many others, as LOTR

Oh yeah, I game I cannot stop playing ever is Diablo/Diablo2/LOD. They have sold a lot too for sure

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
GuySavoie
Years of Service
User Offline
The original Tetris sold over 40 million copies.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 21:59
I must cast my vote for the best game of all time: Final Fantasy 3- most gameplay by far out of all FFs. I played that game until each and every character was at lvl 99, knew all magic and everything. It is physically impossible for my party to lose in a battle against any single monster in that game. Its fun

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 22:02
Well, for all the Elite2 or FFE lovers (i am one, greatest game of all times, no matter how much it sold) there is a version (FFE) which runs under windows out now..
http://www.jaj22.demon.co.uk/

And .....E2 (Frontier) doesn't have a Thargoid ship ( so forget about the prize)
FFE has thargoid ships and system
(You don't seem to browse much on dedicated sites)
Waiting for E4 to come out and still wondering what David Braben is waiting for to give it a go...Maybe he hates money?
Cheers
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh I hate the sims, even if it sold a lot.

Best selling game of all time is the one I will release soon .

Well to be serious, I'm not sure but Zelda (series) was my favorite of all time.

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 02:54
smells like vegetable is completely wrong Again.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 03:04
Sniff ! sniff !! yup, you could be right

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
tmk
Years of Service
User Offline
shenmue cost 28 mil not 50 ;-p <<<<<<shenmue freak trust me i know everything about shenmue series

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 06:20
No there was one Thargoid Ship hidden near the center of the galaxy ... David released the statment himself and quite a heafty reward to anyone who found it.

I'd doubt that he'd make a claim if it couldn't be backed up - the proof is that people have edited Elite2 and actually made the ship available from a starting point save, but to actually get it would be awesome!

As for best sales... you can't count games which were packaged - as they actually add to sales but aren't real sales.
Yes tetris and mario games have sold ALOT of copies, but those actually willingly purchased arn't that great ... add to this there is a 10:1 Console to PC user ratio.

Even against all that TheSims have still beat all other games in technical sales across all platforms.
well upto you, but I'm still gonna challange and ask if this is incorrect then why are EA getting the award for it, surely the award should goto Nintendo?
I'm gonna believe the people who do nothing but compile these figures all day over ... well you guys

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 06:25
How silly of me to assume that vegeta isnt a professional analyst with computer game sales.

grow up kid

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 07:20
lol baka! i'm not the one who compiled the results i'm simply reading the

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 07:56
3rd party information?

parrot also

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 12:58
Vegeta:
I never played Yuri's Revenge =) A frind of mine bought RA2 when it came and we never patched it or anything and I have played almost through the whole Allied SP (never beated the last map) and lots of MP against my friend. Until he got tired of me always winning =) I never saw a bug in the whole game.

Now I have played Age of Mythology and so far it's really cool. I miss the auto scout option that Empire Earth has but exept for that it seems to be better then EE. I think I'm gonna buy the EE expansion though.

DigAw.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 15:23
well thats cool to know DG ... there was one bug that really put me off it which was the momentary pause of the game, caused by the render pipeline and program catchup because one was faster than the other apparently.
Perhaps on faster processors its not noticeable or just equals out.
I only got to play it on a Pentium3 500 so hehee wasn't much joy especially with alot of units onscreen.

Yeah i think AoE is pretty cool, useless at it but is good to unwind to
we've been experiencing alot of kids in TSO recently, as it goes gold next week ... i'm kinda worried that the whole world is gonna be turned into something insane with kids just trying to swear and like doin' all those things we can't cancel due to lag.
ho well - i'm gonna wait until the january when the beta time runs out to see if i wanna install the actual game.

Oh has anyone seen Black'n'White2 yet, like properly?
It's more of an update on the original, but the Ai has been improved further still - so you can get pretty damn'd intelligent lil critters.
Gonna be a much longer game, and you get to build up like AoE so making war buildings and improvements and such. Should be pretty awesome and can't wait for it

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 15:45
BnW was prety boring thanks to a few things. Are you saying that BnW will have armies? That would make the game much better =)

AoE(2) is great playing 2vs2 cause you get all the gold by trading like crazy and your buddy can cover your back/base when your army march for attack. Once I played as Teutons and their knights are really great thanks to heavy armor (best armor any unit/building had in the game), their speed are really low though so a buddy with lots of horses defeding both bases covered by cannontowers and lots of big fortified walls are great =)

DigAw.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 16:22
yeah... from what i've seen in the latest tech demos it's being made more like a semi-rts

i mean you're villagers will still tinker about like idiots but you'll be able to enlist them and have them attack enemies creatures and such.
All sounds a bit like its getting some good aspects from Population3 which was a pretty good Strat title

ya ... pitty i don't have much times for games these days (^_^) kinda ironic, i love games so i make them, but now i am i don't have time to play them hahaa

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 16:33
BTW, I played RA2 on a Duron 850 =)

Oh and I just started playing Need for Speed Hot Pursiut 2, it's the most entertaining car game I ever played. Sure Driver was more story based and had lots of really cool suff and damage etc that was fun but it didn't have the same speed. Sure Motorhead was beautiful (for it's time) and had really good driving music and interesting maps but some of the levels was so hard to drive through and that made the game a little boring and no cops. Sure Collin McRaee was a lot of fun driving but without cars, cops and music.

I haven't played many NFS games as none of the few I have tried played as nicely as the original but this one is really cool. Some things could have been better like more visual damage to the cars. More cop levels and more interesting cop levels. You gotta love the super cop car, it's amazing =) The roadblocks are pathetic. The cops should acnowledge defeat more often and should not give up and step on the breaks while I'm looking at them and sometimes they saw "please acnowledge" and there is no reply. There is a bug that spawns cars right in front of obstacles and the AI keeps driving into it. Other then that it's a lot of fun. I should install my wheel and padals soon but it's so fun playing that I don't have time =)

DigAw.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:33
hehee... yeah i liked Hot Pursuit, not got to play 2 yet - but that game and Porsche Challenge were just outstanding physics engines, and a true joy to play no matter doin' 30mph down a moutain road or 190mph on a highway chase
Not a perfect game, but certainly is my favourite driving game - Driver would be a very close second, i think they should take the Stuntman engine and actually make Driver3 because I loved the cities and the unreal physics made it more fun ... they were more arcady weren't they?

Collin McRae man, now thats a game of beauty - anyone got to play 3 yet. That game makes me drool as it is a graphical masterpiece
Plus it has the gameplay to back it up. Codemasters certainly know thier gear, and it looks like they're only gonna go forward especially with that new damage system.

can't list car games though without the infamous Carmageddon series ... gotta say they're my most enjoyable games of all time - so much carnage

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:38
Hmmmm, there's just one game that I hate to play for it's bug... Half-Life. I always hated that game, but I liked CS ( not anymore but I can play with friends sometimes ). I hated cause any thing poped up in the screen, made me lose the surfaces and the sound of it. If u run under Direct3D then, u probaly cannot restore the surfaces, but u can under OpenGL. U may be stuck in elevators ( specially if u jump when they're moving ), on load screen ( if u come into a Now Loading Area and u are too close to a wall ). The game sold hell of copies, it's latest patch is over 80 megas and still does not fix these 4-5 years old bug... I just hate HL and the CRAPPY N00B SUPPORT OF THE CREATORS...
That's why u can download from me freely from Kazaa... I made an iso just to the peoples download it for free... It's a shame that I payed for it...

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:58
lol... hey rouge wanna know a secwet?
Valve broke from Microsoft games back in 1996

yes sirrie bob Valve are all Ex-Microsoft employee's - think its actually extremely amusing that they're usless with the technology they actually helped to develop

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 23:51
hehehe True
What amazes me most is... in Valve homepage they say Half-Life was made using a little of Quake and Quake 2 engine, a mix of them both... And none of those games has those weird bugs... shame.

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 06:49
ya that amused me too ... mostly Quake1, from an interveiw that was done for PGCUK they said they had Quake2 engine but didn't really use it much.

Though personally from earlier screenshots i'd of disagree'd that - especially when you use the SDK its got a very quake2 feel to it

I think what was more distinctive about it though was the Ai and interaction level with an immersive story.
when i first played it i had a Cyrix166+ (hardly a games machine hehee) ... and the speed was relatively slow compared to Quake2 with poorer graphics, but the Ai was quite cool - i mean you shoot at Glatiators and they'll just stop for a second for the damage animation and then keep running.
Grunts in Half-Life would duck for cover and take you on, pitty there is no teamwork within the Ai that would have made it awesome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:25:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:25:31