Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows hiding CDA files, the annoying ....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 14:13
Anyone know how to force windows to display the CD Audio files on an Audio CD when PC related media is present?

What I mean is, normally when you stick your audio CD in your CD drive, you can play it. If you open it up under My Computer, you can see the CDA digital audio files (Track01, Track02 etc.) I've noticed that if you have a standard audio CD, which has a few files for an interactive bit (i.e. a flash movie, or a few MPEGs, or basically some interactive content for PC users) then it hides the CDA files, and I can't find a way of getting access to them.

Basically I want to rip this new CD I bought to my MP3 player, but I cant even play it in Media Player because this frikken interactive crap (which is actually crap and a complete waste of my time) causes he CDA files to be hidden. I know there are proggies that will rip the CD to MP3 for me, but I've got a professional program to do it, which uses AAA MP3 encoding, and I shouldn't have to go off and download some shareware program just to be able to see a few files in windows.

Any ideas? I've gone through all the folder view options. I cant figure out how to make the bastards visible.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 14:42
Ok, well my software has a special function which helps resolve the problem, but I'm still at a loss as to why windows has to completely hide the CD audio and make it unaccessable to normal programs (including its own Windows Media Player). Anyone got any work arounds?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 14:57 Edited at: 26th Mar 2004 15:08
If you have nero you can download multimounter. Right-click on the drive in my computer and it adds a volumes tap to the properties. You can then select which session you want to be active.

You can get it from http://www.nero.com/en/631940720275822.html but you need nero unfortunatly.

edit: I just tried it and it isn't working, It used to work under win98 perhaps win2k only lets it view the sessions not change them.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 16:36
Cheers for the thoughts. It's not really a big problem. It's just another one of those little things that frustrates you, makes no sense, and makes you want to get even with Bill Gates.

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 17:13
I think it's because Windows doesn't see it as an Audio CD. It sees Windows Files and Directories, so it shows them. It can't show both.

I don't think Bill Gates did it to bother you.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 17:59
It's an operating system. It can show both if its coded properly.

Bill Gates didnt do it to bother me tho, agreed. He didnt do it because he doesnt properly test and bug fix his software before its released into his global OS monopoly.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 19:26
Quote: "He didnt do it because he doesnt properly test and bug fix his software before its released into his global OS monopoly."

It really annoys me when people say this. Im pretty sure that MS knows about most of its bugs and they would fix them if they had the time. You see, it would have taken XP years of delays to get finished if they wanted to fix every single bug.

Tracking down just one single bug becomes a time consuming task that even the most hardend programmers loath doing. And when you have a deadline, things become a little stressful; should I finish this componet or track down that bug? The program builds, compiles, and links, but there is still that damn bug. You don't know whether its someone elses code or yours...

Cut them some slack, they made a very good OS that is still very very stable.

Amist the Blue Skies...
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 19:42
*sigh* this is windows hatred gone too far..

I dont like it(well I do and I dont its the same with every OS though) but i dont blame every little annoyance on the fact they cant "Bug Fix"

You can use a program call CDex. "search for it on google" it does a pretty decent job of what you want and its free

http://www.counterfeitcriminal.co.uk <--- Sons Of Angels Supports the fridge project.... Do you?
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 21:02
This is not a bug.

How can it show both the CD Audio Data and the Windows Files/directories in the same list?

There really are no such thing as "CDA" files.

Think about it. CD's came out in the 80's, way before Windows. Back then, when they made CD's, they weren't all sitting around and saying "Hey, let's call these CDA files." No, they are called CD Audio Data. They're not PC files in the traditional sense. They are something totally different than normal windows data files (EXE, TXT, MP3, etc).

Since they are not files, how then can Windows show them in the list of files? Yes, Microsoft tries to show them as these made-up "CDA" files, but if you look at a "CDA" file, you will notice that it is only 44 BYTES - It's what Windows uses to show you that there are songs on the CD. They are not really files!!!!! In fact, here is what one looks like:

As you can see, it's not MUSIC! You can't put MUSIC in 44 BYTES!!! I don't care what kind of compression you are using.

This is not a bug.
newbi 2 basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2004 21:30
Its a feature

Yes I agree I think thats CDA file might show CD info like where it is on the CD I aint too sure...

http://www.counterfeitcriminal.co.uk <--- Sons Of Angels Supports the fridge project.... Do you?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:32:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:32:25