Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Flaming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:07
I have a suggestion to make to moderators of this forum, with reference to the Sharpening Skills thread in the 3d room, which was a victim of some ignorant people trying to start a flame war: Create a new forum room called "Flames" or something of the likes, and when in any thread flaming starts, pick out the messages in question and put them in "Flames". This way, the thread in question can go on about whatever they were on about (tongue twister), leaving the owner of the thread, in this case Vegeta, continuing the thread, and getting the violator(s) (no names mentioned, though very obvious), continuing in the other room, leaving others to laugh at the flamers ignorance. If this post becomes a flamebait (which it probably will), I suggest putting this as the example in the new room.
Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:12
That's a great idea Kenatree, give Vegeta his own room.

His comments were the most inflamatory on that post, I suggest you read the post thoroughly - it's Vegeta that's making this an issue nobody else, that post had run it's course - no RGT 'Refugees' are keeping this going, we'd rather have a normal forum.

As far as I can see, there's only 1 RGT Refugee here, and he was here long before RGT went down.

Van-B
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:19
Told ya, this thread is gonna become a flamebait

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:29
Also, I dont agree on this thread becoming a debate for/against Vegeta, but about the general topic of flames.

I'm not gonna mix in flames between "one group vs the other group", as I have already stated that flaming is ignorant, no matter who commences in it, and there's no point in banning it since too many people enjoy it.
So - make a separate room for people who like to flame and keep the rest of the forum out of it.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:55
But the most constructive place for flames is in the bin.

If you consider a flame as a personal insult towards someone, I've never flamed here, in fact I don't flame. I'm being honest here, that is how I see it, I don't think any less of anyone after the past few days, and if anyone thinks any less of me because of what I've posted, then tough.

Van-B
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 17:10
I try to stay neutral: There's nobody on this forum I've got a vendetta against (that I know of ), and I wont change opinions about anyone just because they say something wrong.
Personally, I got a thick skin. I dont care what other people say about me, and I think that kind of attitude would do a lot of people good. However, there are always people who dont like to be insulted (understandably), and people doing so, for whatever reasons should be shunned.

Critique is good. If there were no critics nobody would improve in anything. However, there's a faint line between critique and insult, and many people fail to distinguish it either way. Some see critique as an insult, some might see their own insults as well-meant critique.
My opinion is, if somebody gives critique, but doesnt lash out at you in the way "you're stupid", its well meant. If
the people dont care they wouldnt bother to give critique.

(Today must be my annual "long post day" )

Anybody who agrees or disagrees, please post, and show people it can be done without flaming

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 17:16
I'm the same Kenatree, I'm not easily offended, except when people are vendictive towards us, like the recent spam script moron.

Van-B
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 17:34
Glad you agree . (I wonder if this thread is gonna end up as a 2 man discussion?)

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 22:50
"That's a great idea Kenatree, give Vegeta his own room." - Van B

He he, you remind me of Dungeon Keeper.

One strategy I used to do was when I got my Horned Reaper, I'd create his own little apartment so he'd never fight with any of the other creatures (they were notorious for doing that.)

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 23:02
Hehee... wow i get the same mental piccy too
I do have my own forum ya know, i could always flame erm... me on there

(^_^) gotta remember most flames i make is to reitterate a point that someone still hasn't got... always an underlying theme - pitty they're not got and so i have to explain myself over and over and over.

Gets boring ya know guys
Kinda why most of them stop, i've notice you guys can flame for days - some of you like wives, bringing up points that have no flipping relevance what so ever ... (why do they do that? )
But i just loose interest, i mean if someone can understand something simple when spelt out in plain english, french, spanish, german, japanese, russian, etc, etc... I think there really is no point because all they want to do is flame

How can you argue with someone who doesn't actually have a point? Where's the fun in that?
They're just arguing to hurt you - not really any point at all

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 23:05
oh and Van ... wasn't an Refugee myself, mainly because I wasn't here because I couldn't receive my password.

Took almost 3months to get it working
I still had problem for two weeks when i finally got in as it signed in once and wouldn't sign in again.

Only reason i wasn't here ... was also on DB.net for a while too - but i dunno was kinda boring to me.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 23:12
"bringing up points that have no flipping relevance what so ever" - Raven Vegeta

That's what a flame war is, no matter what you're saying. I for one will not surrender to the flames.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:40:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:40:02