Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Amp settings for songs...(guitar)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 03:54
Hmm well Im toying around with my amp, and trying to find out some nice effects (Vintager AC 112 Amp..70 Built in effects )

Im wondering if anyone could recommend some good Bass + Treble + Mid settings for the guitar sound in the very beggining of the nirvana sound "Smells like Teen Spirit" The rest is just heavy distortion, but I love how the guitar sounds in the first part.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Red Trans Finish all Gold Hardware btw...just this is just me bragging

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 07:18
try centering the Bass
put treb at about 3/4
and then play with Midrange. You'll note that with mid under .5 the sound gets "thick" like Metallica so I suggest .5 or higher until it gets a little twangy. i don't know what effects you have so I cant suggest any but besides some distortion there is another effect in there almost like a warble of some sort, maybe a digital tremolo really tapered tight.

the best answer is to say experiment with different mixtures of effects and settings. You might want to keep Bass Mid and High centered until you find the correct effect/effects then mess with the tones afterward.

when your done with Nirvana, try finding the mixture of effects used on Plush-Stone Temple Pilots...that's a toughie.

Also the net has data sheets on what effects are used incertain songs though they are usually put out by guitarists and not by anyone in the tru "know"

good luck

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Nirvana rocks! to bad they arnt around anymore they could be huge.

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 09:55
they were, and are still, huge.
kinda hard to jam with your head missing - oh well
only good thing to come of Kurt's death was that Dave got out from behind the drums (and Kurt's overrated shadow) to form the Foo Fighters.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 15:50
It's just trebble and a touch of mid if you ask me. Turn the bass right down to nothing (I mean listen to it - there is zero bass in there), crank the trebble up high and go between zero and half on the mid range.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 18:06
Right..I currently have my amp set to...

Bass - 5
Mid - 4
Treble - 10 (yea theres lots of it in there!)

For all the main riffs I put my amp on overdrive and its set like this
Gain - 10 (its wicked distorted)
Bass - 8
Mid - 7
Treble - 10

For the solo I switch my guitar to both pickups or the back pickup to get that sorta...'flutey' sound? I dunno how to explain it. I do the same thing when playing the solo of The White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army'

Ive learned most of that song, the solo is easy enough I just gotta practice it more. Im now trying to learn The Darkness's 'I Believe in a thing Called Love' Heres how I play that

Amp on Overdrive
Gain - 10 (its wicked distorted)
Bass - 8
Mid - 7
Treble - 10

Pickups - Both (My guitar has three settings, 2 pickups. The settings are neck, both and back. I set it on both)

Effects - Studio - Its an effect that mimics the effect of a sound being in a room, which I have set to be large due to the fact that the guitar sounds to be a long ways.

For the solo(s) - I switch off the effect and switch my guitar to my neck pickup.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 18:09
HAHA, now all you need is a really high-pitched girly voice

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 18:20

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 18:25
Ya Whenever I hear that song I think "poor guy..."

Man do I hate it when I drive thru the drive thru and they say "Mam" GRR!!

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 19:56
The start is a 3/4 teb. and 1/2 bass. clean (guess, cant listen to it or play it right now, on vacation) i cant help with dist. part, maybe when i get back

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:54:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:54:34