Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nvidia's Melody tool.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 00:11
Its finally here. Nvidia's Melody tool for generating normal maps and progressive meshes has arrived. You can get it here at:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/melody_home.html

The things that this tool can do are downright impressive. I've seen a 100,000 poly model reduced to 500 that look almost identical to the 100,000 poly model due to a combination LOD and normal mapping with this tool. The only visible difference was the edges were slightly sharper than the original. You would only really notice it if you were really looking for the difference. This tool is definately worth taking a look at.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 08:01 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 08:02
Nobody's interested? *blinks*

Come on. This is an excellent tool for generating LOD meshes. There has got to be someone interested in at least that if not the normal mapping feature.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 11:15
I dont see much point to it - there are already programs to reduce the number of polygons (all of which only require one model).

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 11:18
That is very cool. Trouble is I'm not a very good low poly modeller, let alone a high poly modeller Should give games a definate professional edge tho

@TCA - I'm possibly stating the obvious, but you don't seem to acknowledge in your post that it's not just a poly reduction kit.

...and the rest is f-l-y
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 12:06
Exactly what would make my day a hell of a lot easier, now if only my graphics card supported Pixel Shader 2.0 then I would be able to open it.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 12:36
Same problem here would have been nice for them to mention it on the site
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 13:23 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 13:24
The LOD system just seems to be a by product... That part may be useful if/when DBPro's terrain system is beefed up a lot.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 19:24
@TCA

"I dont see much point to it - there are already programs to reduce the number of polygons (all of which only require one model)."

The Reference model and the Working model can be the same model so it can operate with only one model.

Second Post:

"The LOD system just seems to be a by product... That part may be useful if/when DBPro's terrain system is beefed up a lot."

Its usefull for people who want to implement a LOD system themselves with their models. This tool does a remarkable job of creating the best looking low-poly model out of a high poly model.

@Exeat

"Exactly what would make my day a hell of a lot easier, now if only my graphics card supported Pixel Shader 2.0 then I would be able to open it."

I know. That is an annoyance that is totally unnecessary. At least there is a command line version that will(hopefully) allow you to by pass this little hinderance.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:30:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:30:53