Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / IPaq and Handheld computers.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a look at these little computers today, and I thought about buying one, but I don't know what they can do. Can you download a DB program onto them? I want to download my Greyhound Dog racing predictor onto one, and take it into the bookies! Can I do that?

Pincho.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:03
it depends...what kind of "handheld cumputer" if you mean PDA then i don't think so...

ooh ooh i got this great idea master yoda we could make a game! and the game's story line would be...
"Your wife is death. How? NO idea. But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think they are PDA, what does it mean?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:10
my mates got one that can play sim city 2000 i'd imagine you could get one running dbc games, no idea how though...

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
WEll VB would be OK. If I could use DB to make a list of numbers, then use VB to sort the list on the PDA.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:14
No, they use different files then .exes and they dont have DX. Yes, Its a PDA.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:15
what operating system do these "Handheld computers" have?

ooh ooh i got this great idea master yoda we could make a game! and the game's story line would be...
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:16
once again, my mates has got windows(xp? maybe..) didn't know they didn't use .exe's though

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, It doesn't sound like they are going to be any use to me then.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:22
The IPaq runs windows ce and doesnt use .exes
(at least the one i have)

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:23
Quote: "what operating system do these "Handheld computers" have?"

BTW i mean the one that "pincho paxton" is considering buying...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that these were some of the ones that I saw today.

http://www.handheldcomputerdepot.com/compaqhandheldcomputers.html

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:35
The last ones are what I have more or less.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
PDA = Personal Digital Assistant...thats right? right?

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:36
Quote: "The IPaq runs windows ce and doesnt use .exes
(at least the one i have)"

Bah. My phone runs Windows smartphones and has exes and DLLs just like every mobile MS device

Pincho, you can download eMbedded Visual Studio for free, including VB for Pocket PCs.

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:39 Edited at: 29th Mar 2004 23:40
[edit]

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:39 Edited at: 29th Mar 2004 23:40
Quote: "you can download eMbedded Visual Studio for free, including VB for Pocket PCs"

That's free? Is it the same as standard VB? I have VB 5.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 23:40
Quote: "Pincho, you can download eMbedded Visual Studio for free, including VB for Pocket PCs."

where do you get that?

comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 05:37 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 05:39
search on google, you can download it somewhere on microsoft web site.You make the programs on PC and then trade it your handheld

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 10:10 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 10:11
eVb 3.0 is more like VBScript. Still pretty good though. But is interpreted. You need runtime files on your PDA. All is available from MS for free, and can even run with the 2003 OS (with a new runtime). Look on Amazon for some cool books (I have 3 of them). eVb comes with eVC++ too BTW, I just haven't looked at that much. But it can do compiled code.

Unfortuantly it doesn't run straight to the 2003 OS (you need to compile then install, instead of running through debug). Is mainly because the 2003 OS doesn't work with eVb (the 2003 SDK states this pretty plainly after a very large download). ie. they have completely dropped eVb, and you have to use .NET (ie. now you pay for it). F**king MS basically....

eVC++ 4.0 does exist though (still free), and works for 2003 OS. Annoying though, as I love VB (use it in work), and never really
used C++.

Still can use eVb 3.0 on 2003 OS though, just cannot run straight through debugger, or with emulation. Unless someone can point to a fix, but searching the web appears with lots of dead ends.

Oh, and I have the IPAQ 4150. Lovely piece of kit.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 11:25
Dazzag - I'm seriously considering buying the IPAQ 4150 - simply because of the built in wifi

I don't really have any use for it though - can you think of any other than silly app development?

...and the rest is f-l-y
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't find eVB 3 on Microsoft site.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 12:07
The Compaq ones are pretty good - you can get embedded VC (and VB) - I used to have one (before it was nicked by my brother) - and I did a 2D sprite system for it.

Trouble is they tend to be rather expensive.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 18:32
I expect that PDAs, like normal computers come with a variety of operating systems. Of course, if you wanted DB running you would need windows. (well there may be a way to make it work on other OS's but I haven't bothered to find out.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 19:49 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 19:50
My 4150 was about £450-500 in Dixons. I got it for less than £250 online at www.savastore.com

Erm, apart from making silly apps, then you download quite a lot of cool apps. Forget DB, but some nice emulators are out there. The 4150 has 400Mhz and some decent graphics chip apparently, so is ideal for emulation. Has Bluetooth and Wifi, so is pretty cool. Just need a nice horizontal web browser (vertical is a bit naff, but usable). Apparently the next update of 2003 (or 2004) will have horizontal functionality built in. Hopefully can then update like Messenger (get that with it too).

Oh, and we will be getting Sat Nav soon. Thats pretty cool (Tomtom seems the best).

It's a highly priced gadget basically. Top stuff!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f663bf48-31ee-4cbe-aac5-0affd5fb27dd&displaylang=en
Thats the 2002 embedded tools. If you have a 2003 device then you need the runtime... erm... try this... http://www.ive-software.com/runtime-for-applications.php3

As I said, eVb 3.0 doesn't work with the 2003 SDK (which I didn't include above cos I lost my link somewheres) as they have stopped developing it. eVC++ 4.0 is downloadable elsewhere (again haven't used this) and this does work with the 2003 SDK. As does .NET (including VB.NET). You can still develop in eVb 3.0, but you will need to build the install program then run the install program to do so (and run the above 2003 runtime). It basically shows a little VB form icon in the installed folder. Nice. Not so nice if you want a full application, but apparently you can write a eVC++ wrapper that basically executes the form (so nice icon).

Or buy .NET (or learn a whole new language with eVC++ 4.0). F**king MS.....

Don't forget though that the syntax is more like vbScript, and quite a few things don't work. Error handling for example is rubbish (labels don't work; no forward referencing as it's just a simple interpretted thing).

Or buy NSBasic (or something like that). Which at about £150 is still quite a high price. I read somewhere that you may be able to use the started version of VB.NET (at £80 is more reasonable), but obviously you won't be able to sell anything. But VB.NET is a lot better with PDA's, and runs straight from visual studio (I know because I have a work installation). Maybe I'll upgrade my VS6 to VS.NET after all.... credit card is starting to get hot

Cheers

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 19:55
Oh yeah, and I stumbled across some GPS code for eVC++ a few weeks ago. Don't know if it works, as I haven't bought sat nav yet, but how cool is that? Erm. I'm pretty sure it's pretty cool. Esp with a load of data freely available on the net. Such as the location of about 3000 speed cameras in the UK (you can download it in xls format for Tomtom, but is just GPS grid reference)..... hmmmm...

Cheers

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 20:15
i've found some intersting news about game developement for PDA
there:
http://www.pocketgamer.org/homeindex.php?pagenumber=155

Quote: "Creating games as if by magic

As spotted on PDArcade, Clickteam has released a beta version of the Pocket PC 2002 Platform Pack for Jamagic, a royalty-free 3D games "creation system." Any interested developers had better start downloading today as there is a note stating that "this beta will expire on August 30th, but generated executables will continue to run." The beta version of the Pocket PC 2002 Platform Pack allows the creation of titles for ARM-based Pocket PC 2002 devices, and is intended for testing purposes only.
"

Sounds interesting, what do you think?

Team EOD: Programmer :: 3D artist
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
All of this Pocket PC stuff seems to be for Windows 2000.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 19:43
What do you mean? The Pocket PC OS, or the computer you program on? Personally I have the 2003 OS on my Pocket PC, and WinXP Pro on the computer I program. Fair enough that XP comes from the whole 2000/NT core background, so I haven't the foggiest if it runs on a 9X machine. My old 9X machines are lazily not configured on my KVM switch upstairs... oh ang on... could try it on Win98 using Virtual PC on me laptop....

Although I've had UT2004 sitting on a shelf, still wrapped, for about a week now. Only really time to do one or the other in the next couple of days.... sorry, need the shooting, killing 'n stuff...

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it won't even install without Windows2000 or XP, it tells you to upgrade. Darn it.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 01:19
Annoying. Try NSBasic trial. Supposed to be pretty good. And several times faster than eVb. Can't remember the full price, but about $99 I believe.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:38:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:38:03