Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A little new to darkbasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 05:36
I have darkbasic 1.12 and I want to make a trading card game, (for those people who have to have every detail... yes the card game is on darkbasic) and I just wanted to know where I should start.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 05:44 Edited at: 31st Mar 2004 05:45
Try making a pong game if your new....

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
Cairne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 05:56
ok... ill try that... bout how long will that take?
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 06:22
Do a foeum search there was a really long one about making a pong type game.I can't remember what it was called though.

BTW Itcan be sorta confusing cause a lot of folks posted the same code.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 07:01
You can have a nice plan laid out. First do a game that does not require intense graphics or complicated rules but requires some work with physics, then make your tcg (or maybe a simplified one) that is rather graphically-intensive and is prone to complicated rules and intricate AI, then you will have the basic skills for a really decent game.

When you get to working on the tcg first step: write it down on paper, every bit of it, or on a word DOC, doesn't matter. Make an example deck or two out of index cards, and play with them often to balance the game.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Cairne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 07:07
Honestly, I didnt intend on using many graphics for the TCG thing until after i got the base down, also im kinda stuck on the pong thing... i have the sprites set but i cant figure out how to move things.
Cairne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 07:09
I forgot to mention... the TCG was to test some cards because I have an idea for a card game that i may try to make in the near future, and honestly i would prefer having the TCG already prepared on Dark Basic
kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 22:40
dowload some tutorials and change around some of the things inside. thats what i do and i learn a lot of things that way(like what things do)

what is the differnece between a box and a cube?
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 00:39
err... isnt a cube 3D and a box is 2D? but yes, download the tutorials, they help. Or just forum search for "pong"

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 00:48
There is a 3D box object (cuboid) as well. The difference is that you can specify all three dimensions for "box" but for cube, all dimensions are the same.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 02:28
Boxes are 2d or 3d. But cubes are exclusively 3d, and squares are exclusive 2d.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Cairne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 04:10
I realized what i was doing wrong when i checked out the pong post... i was trying to do the game 2D, and that REALLY didnt work out too well... i finished the pong thing and i really learned quite a bit... but not much i can use.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 17:46 Edited at: 1st Apr 2004 17:47
You're building a core set of knowledge. One project may not have a direct impact on the next, but you are learning where commands are located, how to search the help files, how structured programming workds, etc. Programming only really sinks in after you have got a working knowledge base of program syntax and experience using the tools.
--
TAZ

Now, you move on to more advanced things: break out, arkanoid, or maybe a bouncing baby game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:37:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:37:24