Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / UT2004...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 14:25
...is great, well worth the money.

As for the rebate, you get £7.50 off if you had UT2003 (had is the correct term as you have to send CD1 back to a PO BOX number (which on the form doesn't list the postcode) - so unless you've got a no CD crack, you cant play 2003 anymore). I have, of course, sent mine off. Now to wait the customary 28 days...

I'm on an experienced level (and it is hard), so most people would probably have to use a lower setting - I'm thinking of changing to a lower one myself...

The new assult modes look interesting - I'm still trying to complete the first one (in one player mode)...

Does anyone else find the bombing run game a bore ?

Haven't tried any of the new special weapons yet - mainly 'cos I haven't found them...

I brought this over Farcry, mainly because I felt the the latter game was awful (nice scenery, but enemy movement (especially the animation) was a joke), and weaponary fire over a distance seemed too inaccurate.

I would like to get EA's Battlefield Vietnam (or whatever its called) - that does look good.

Aside from the games previously mentioned, I dont feel that there is anything worth buying much this year. HL2 & Doom 3 may be out at the end of year, but as I didn't think much of the original HL, I haven't decided whether to get it or not, especially with the Steam system.

Finally, does anyone know if Halo 2 will be converted to the PC, and if so, will we still have the rather long wait for it ?

The place for all great plug-ins.
Department Head of keeping it Unreal.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 14:34
I also have UT2004, I didn't send in my old copy of 2003 though as I didn't feel it was worth losing the original of a great game. I found 2004 more of a buffed version of 2003, better graphics, more levels and the addition of vehicles. It's still an awesome game though, playing on the 'skilled' difficulty isn't too hard, you still have the few matches that you don't win first go, but it's still beatable.

Unfortunately we didn't see the return of the old Assault maps (like my favourite WWII beach landing one) however, we do see some of the CTF and DM maps from the very original making a comeback with new graphics, but essentially, still the same. One of my very favourites, Face (Classic) is back which I'm very greatful for, it sure beats Face 2 and Face 3 (from 2003 and 2004 respectively).

The only special weapon I've found so far is the grenade launcher which is sub-standard, IMHO. Probably the poorest weapon so far in the game, I probably just don't know how to use it yet though.

Oh, I've always been a great fan of bombing run and still am, it's also great to see some completely new modes included, like Mutant and Invasion. Invasion is especially fun, trying to hold out against swarms of alien/monsters that come in waves. It lasts a good half an hour in most cases, although it really depends on how many waves you have.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 14:39
TCA, Patch 2225 removes the CD check in UT2003
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 14:39
UT2004 is great but to be honest the only game mode I even bother playing is Onslaught, the rest just don't hold a candle to the brilliance of that.

I'll get HL2 because I pre-ordered it when it was first announced and am still waiting

Doom3 will be good too and also Quake2 Remix.

Far Cry looks stunning, but I've not got the time to invest in it so won't be buying. At the moment the only games I'm playing are Baldurs Gate 2 and PuyoPuyoPop, both on the PS2. I will definitely get Battlefield Vietnam though.

Nothing else much happening really, Driver3 looks nice though.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 15:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2004 15:28
Quote: "TCA, Patch 2225 removes the CD check in UT2003 "

Hmm yes, I know, plus there are various other ways of, ummm, doing that... But there's no point in having UT2003 & 2004 anyway - besides, being the capitalist that I am, I want my money (back)...

2004 runs very well both the laptop and my desktop machine (which has a 5600 nVidia card & all the detail turned up to maximum). The laptop has to have slightly less detail, but its certainly not noticable, and probably only needed for multiplayer (and when using a wireless network system).

Quote: "like my favourite WWII beach landing one"

That was a good one, athough I prefered the boat.

I've never liked the bombing run game. You always end up spending 15 minutes fighting in the centre of the playing area.

Oh, and one thing - like GTA:Vice City, it has immense problems with USB joysticks, in particular Logitec's gamepad - you loose control of movement and firing at random times. I disable all USB ports before playing.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 15:56
The original UT had great Assault levels, like the beach for instance, I could sit and snipe all day on that level . Personally I was a bit dissapointed with UT2003 and don't have a PC capable of running UT2004 - so I'm waiting patiently for Unreal2 on the XBox. They changed the weapons far too much - like that excuse for a sniper rifle - what was so wrong with the original!.

My favourite incarnation was UT on the Dreamcast though - simply awesome with 3 players v 3 CPU on the hardest difficulty - and the ripper, shrapnel and sniper rifle were great fun.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 16:27
Bombing Run frustrates me, but I get addicted! It's a lot harder on low gravity maps.

I've still to find a map that beats the original UT maps. Yes, they are very good eye candy, but there doesn't seem to be anything "different" about them.

Give me the DarkCity map any day.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 17:18
i downloaded the demo for URT 2004 and it ran reaaalllyyy slow\jerky...
my specs-
Pentium IIII -1.5 GHZ
512 MB Ram
Nvidia geforce 4 mx420
(XP)

"Your wife is death. How? NO idea. But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 17:22 Edited at: 31st Mar 2004 17:26
And the reason for your surprise is ? A Geforce 4MX is very, very, very slow...
Try reducing the detail a lot... And disable all antialiasing settings and set the performance slider to high performance. Finally, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 17:36 Edited at: 31st Mar 2004 17:36
i wasn't suprised that it ran slow just dissapointed... ...my graphics card has run great on other graphic intense games (oh and incase it's important it's a PCI slot (not VGA))

i deleted the demo but maybe i'll re download it (DSL) and try it again with lower settings (didn't look at the settings before...)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 18:20
I presume you mean AGP (and not VGA)...

I always adjust the display first on any new game, and then leave it like that...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 18:57
Quote: "I presume you mean AGP (and not VGA)...
"

oh ya...hehe oops...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 19:39
Cool. Is the assault mode anywhere near as good as the original UT? That was tops, and probably the biggest letdown of UT2003.

Interestingly I have the unopened UT2004 right behind me, just haven't the time to play it. Sigh....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 22:32
From my (limited) view of them, then yes, I think they are better.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "UT2004 is great but to be honest the only game mode I even bother playing is Onslaught, the rest just don't hold a candle to the brilliance of that."

Are you kidding? Onslaught is a great addition but it doesn't compare to good ol' Capture the Flag.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 00:40
Van B, I can't remember where I got it from, but a UT2003 Assault mod does exist..
I'll leave it up to you to find it, but if you can't, just say and I can send you it.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "UT2003 Assault mod does exist"

The Epic Bonus back, methinks.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 10:59
True but 2004 is here so there's no need for it now lol.

The original sniper rifle was apparently too good a weapon, it could kill with one shot and fire multiple times in rapid succession. Not to mention its zoom meant you could hide away and knock off people from a distance without them ever finding you. The solution was to create the 'lightning gun' for 2003 and drop the sniper rifle completely, of course, the lightning gun is just a pain in the ass, takes a long time to reload and points you out fairly easily.

I guess they realised this so in 2004 the original sniper rifle has made its return, the slight modification made to it is it now releases a puff of smoke so your vision is clouded for a split second after a shot is fired and it also makes you easier to see. I'm happy with that though, means it's still a good weapon but not too good.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 11:28
Yes, it is a very nice weapon...

I managed to complete my first assault level last night - bankrupted my team in the process (due to the number of retries).
I dont like the team managment system that much - if you run out of money you've got to do a previous level in order to get more money instead of just retrying the level.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 23:48
I've written my likes about the game in the first UT2k4 post (the one I made)-- but there are a couple things I'd like to vent on.

The sniper rifle was handled poorly. Nobody really liked the lightning gun as a sniper weapon, it showed where you were way too clearly and the lightning trail lasted way too long (the good old tactic of a smoke trail from the sniper bullet is great because your average observer has to check both directions to see who got hit and who was shooting, but the lightning gun offers no such depth). The ideal balance for 2k4 would have been to make the lightning gun be the perfect anti-vehicular sniping weapon: it's eletrical damage, it makes sense, and it would have balanced the weapon out (mediocrity in one field, decent use in another instead of being purely mediocre.) And the sniper rifle would have been perfect against human foes but useless against vehicles. That would have been perfect, but instead it's one sniper weapon for each map... poor design, I say!

That said the rest of the game kicks ass.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 23:50
I've spent 38 minutes doing a bombing run. My, that was boring

Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 23:57
The new BR maps aren't much fun. And it's useless against bots, only fun in multiplayer. In its element it's a great game mode though .

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 08:54
Agreed, it's especially annoying when you're about to take out an opponent when one of those stupid bots passes you the ball, gah! Aside from that though, if you have a good team I find bombing run to be quite a bit of fun.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 10:32
Bombing run always annoyed me - just seemed like you just grabbed the ball and ran for it instead of relying on your team mates to help you out. If you had the ball then your team came along and supported you it might have been a lot better. There is one really cool bombing run level on the X-Box version, it's like a snowy landscape with structures at opposite ends - but lots of sniper spots and going outside usuall leads to a huge battle because the enemy usually respawns from outside the structure, I like playing that level. The X-Box version is too easy though, 30-1 kills on the hardest level on team deathmatch.

Another thing I noticed yesterday about 2003 was how equal the weapons were, it's like you can kill the enemy in the same amount of time with each weapon - might be good to have equally strong weaponary but for me that sorta detrements the whole 'gotta go find a decent gun' aspect that was very evident in the first UT.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 11:29 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2004 11:30
Yes, the AI is pretty stupid for bombing run - the other problem is that I'm continually firing (until I run out of ammo anyway), so if I'm passed the ball the flippin' thing shoots off in some direction. It would be nice to be warned beforehand if I'm about to be passed the ball.

The other problem is jumping - it shouldn't be allowed really (much like the sidestep) - it gets too annoying.

I've got two bombing runs to go - I bet its going to get really boring...

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 17:20
UT2003
Bombing Run +
Ice map shaped like a giant M +
Zoom instagib +
1 score limit +
3v3 people =

2 HOURS OF NON-STOP GAMING AND FUN (and sore hands)

Current Project: Interactive DBPro Showcase Example
Project Status: Game Engine 90%
http://www.w3th.tk <-- Soon to have some content
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 22:52
I was thinking of trying UT4...last UT I played was the original not long after it came out. Maybe I'll buy it, I own only one game anyway (Enter The Matrix...SHUT UP) so it would be a nice addition.

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 04:19 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 04:20
Quote: "Another thing I noticed yesterday about 2003 was how equal the weapons were, it's like you can kill the enemy in the same amount of time with each weapon - might be good to have equally strong weaponary but for me that sorta detrements the whole 'gotta go find a decent gun' aspect that was very evident in the first UT."

In UT the guns were less balanced, which I agree, added a lot to the game. The enforcer was generally a lot less powerful than the minigun for example. But all the 'weak' weapons were always good in certain situations-- a good shot with an enforcer can pick off a miniguner across a large room in four shots! That way, you had to go for a good gun instead of picking anything, but at the same time, no matter how big your weapon, you could never let your guard down. One of the reasons I still play UT classic.

On top of that, in UT, the weapons seemed more... different. More unique both visually and in usage. Weapon switching was actually a very important part of the game. In 2k4 it seems more like just pulling the trigger all the time. Perhaps it's just me.

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm looking forward to see UT2004 maturing - once some of the original UT modders get to grips with UT2004, we're gonna see some beautiful additions to this game.

I'm hoping to see:
- UT revamped maps (I must have spent 100's of hours on DM-Morpheus with a grapple-shot mod)
- Jailbreak (I agree that sometimes searching for worthwhile mods among the many available seems like looking for a needle in a haystack, but JB makes it all worthwhile )

I'm currently forcing myself not to buy UT2004 so I can revise for my exams.

Must...resist...temptation...

CompleXity

Subspace Software website now active!
[url]www.subsoft.tk[/url]
Software from a different dimension
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:00
Well, I'm selling my copy on eBay...

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:52
Quote: "Well, I'm selling my copy on eBay..."

Of what? UT 2004? Weird, I was thinking of selling mines too. I never bought UT 2003 so it's the first time I have played UT 2004 since the original version. Single player plays very well but multiplayer is way too fast, people appear to dart and aiming is difficult (lag on 20 ping servers with 512k cable?!??) ... I just find it too unplayable. Battlefield Vietnam would be much fun, I have the Battlefield 1942 game and all expansions.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 19:02 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 19:04
I wont be getting 'Vietnam now that I know its multiplayer only. Just dont like playing games over the internet (especially shoot-em-ups) - can be too slow, too much cheating and (with UT anyway, people are jumping all over the place).

Halo can be okay if a fast enough server can be found (which is rare).

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 19:19
I play Deathmatch and capture the flag, they're both pretty good

You're just jealous cuz the voices don't talk to you!!!
Leroy Frederick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 21:11
WARNING to anyone thinking of buying this as i did, make sure you have 5.5gb space handy (although memory is cheap these dayz, get the DVD version (or you'll have six cd's to install) and make sure you have a very fast and sexy computer, because playing it with the various graphics options off does'nt do it justice!

I wonder if the FPS Creator will be capable of similar ?

anyway, I change it for 2 xbox games the next day, just ran too slow to be any fun, got the chapionship version & fifa 2003 (konami plez hurry up & realease ths ISS 3 x box version!)

Defanual
Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 21:14
Although I have to admit that I didn't really buy any of the two versions, I tried both demos, and I say UT2003 all the way!

No, just because I eat haggis does'nt mean I'm from Scotland!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:54:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:54:24