Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / IE Problem

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 16:40
Ok, this has happened to me before and the only way I could fix it then was by reformatting my computer and reinstalling XP (and IE). When you click links to download files (like zips or exe's) a little box pops up asking you if you want to save or open and then it has this tiny check box that asks "Always ask for this file type" or something along those lines, usually it's checked by default.

While downloading a zip file I accidentally unchecked this box so now whenever I click a zip file it will download it to some crazy temp directory with a very encrypted name making it very hard to find in case I wanted to keep that zip. I really hate this behaviour as 90% of the times I like to keep my zips in a "Downloaded Files" folder for later use, unfortunately there seems to be no way AT ALL to recheck that damn box. This is because now when I click a zip, it won't come up again, it just goes straight to the downloading dialog and doesn't ask to save or open or whatever.

I've tried that "reset web settings" option and I've resetted to all the defaults for basically everything but nothing works. It still automatically downloads to the temp folder. Does anyone know where this hidden option is to reenable it asking me if I want to download it? It seems as if I've looked in every single option panel. Gah!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 16:49
You could try unlinking the .ZIP filetype from WinZip (or whatever you use), and then try a download.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 16:51
look in the registry, there has to be some dword value controlling this that needs to be toggled between 1 and 0

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!
recycled
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 16:56
use Opera or Mozilla Firefox, two great browsers with less security issues than IE!

http://www.mozilla.com <- I recommend Firefox though, atleast give it a try. Trust me, you won't regret it!

http://www.ond.se/vermin/forums <- game design and writing forums
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 17:16
Haven't been able to get Mozilla to open RAR files directly - always have to be saved first (which can be annoying).

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 18:05
Open any folder in explorer
Select Tools menu / Folder Options
Click 'File Types' tab
Scroll down to ZIP
Click 'Advanced'
retick box 'confirm open after download'

Boo!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 03:01
Thank you so much Spooky!! Quite silly that an internet option can only be seen when you're browsing a local folder.

Quote: "use Opera or Mozilla Firefox, two great browsers with less security issues than IE!

http://www.mozilla.com <- I recommend Firefox though, atleast give it a try. Trust me, you won't regret it!"

I've tried both multiple times (well, I tried Firebird when it was still called that) but I just can't get used to them. After using IE for so long it's just too hard to change.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 13:10
I surf this forum through nutscrape. its the first thing i used when i was on the net so im always partial to it.

Anyone remember mosaic?

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 09:59
sorry to tag onto your post but i also have an IE problem.
When a click on a l;ink instead of opening a new window and then going to the site it just opens a new window and doesnt go to the site. Can anyone help with the problem?

My avatar's cool. It has a mirror
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh my dads computer has a IE problem it opens a new window goes to the homepage then it shuts off all by its self it like crashes and of course like always some how i get blamed for his computer not working....

little jackass of a man

The search continues.

Current project - A space game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:37:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:37:39