Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Little question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok I'm going to be starting my first big project that I've been writing out since early last month and so I'm starting to code it but I can't figure out how to do something. I want my players to be able to create an account like a normal net game that holds their account(character) name, password, access key (randomly generated for incase I need to ban someone) as well as things like their current inventory, equipment, stats, etc. so I was hoping some of the people here who have done multiplayer and know how to do this kind of stuff could give me a hand if your not to busy. or if you know any good examples or tutorials that would also be great.

What you don't know can't hurt you,
...you've got a hoard of zombies behind you.
Now you know!*echoes*
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 07:31
Woof. If I had to tackle this design, I'd be tempted to create a separate server application (linux?) and hook it into a MySQL database so that the player authentication keys and data would be more secure.
--
TAZ

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 11:48
I'm with Zircher on this one. You definitely need a database. And unless you want to install an ODBC connector or similar on the client machines, you really need an app running alongside the DB.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
when you say database, do you mean something along the lines of MS Access? Because that's the nearest thing I have to what you are talking about.

Now you know!*echoes*
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 22:41 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 22:41
More like a dedicated web server running Linux and MySQL with a custom program to access the SQL database and handle communications. You can do the same with Windows, but the start up cost would probably be much higher.

You would then have to find a way to get DBC/DBP to talk to the server (FTP, sockets, HTTP, etc.) so that you can handle log-ins to the game world and the like.

Not a small task.

The alternate would be to stick with peer to peer gaming and have one player be designated as the host and run the game world from their box.
--
TAZ

Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
well I was planning on having it where I host and then everyone connects to my computer ip to play it but I have another question how would I make it where they fill out a form in the database and it puts the data in the database?

Now you know!*echoes*
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 01:21
In either case (client/server or peer to peer), the client would display the form locally and send the data to the server or the host for processing. Once the data got to the server/host, then it would be inserted into the database. The client should never handle the database directly.
--
TAZ

Zenkai
Years of Service
User Offline
ok basically you should only have the client display and send the form correct? well then how would you do that? I'm not sure on the exact coding for it.

Now you know!*echoes*
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 06:12
At some point you're going to have to sit down and read the manual/help files from end to end and learn how to program.

Do things as small steps: initialize variables, load resources, display forms, get user data, send user data, recieve replies from the server/host, etc.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:35:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:35:51