Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DLL decides to disappear

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 16:23
Bought the April issue of PC Format on Friday and the big theme seems to be computer security. On the coverdiscs were about 20 different security programs. One was called CWShredder - a program specifically written to destroy traces of the CoolWWWSearch spyware, that Spybot and other such security programs often miss. To my joy I found that the spyware problem id been having for ages had completely disappeared. To my dismay on my next restart I found that a DLL had also gone - image.dll was missing from the root windows directory, and I was alerted when RUNDLL.EXE runs in my startup. Now I cant find any problems with my system other than the warning that pops up on booting, and the fact that this net connection wouldnt work at all - took ages to get on. I checked the root windows fdirectory on my dads computer and the file isnt there either despite numerous searches (and unhiding files).

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with my nVidia GeForce FX 5200 - my dad has an ATi Radeon 9200.

Anyone had smilar problems, or know whow to solve this?

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 16:37
I dont have IMAGE.DLL with my nVidia card, so I suspect you've got some dodgy software running at startup...

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 16:51
Well the CWshredder I assume did get rid of it, which indicates your theory is probably correct (I sound like a Vulcan now). The startup list is listed in Spybot, and theres no information on the one that executes this DLL.

If its any help, spybot's description reads:

Key: HK_CU:RunServices
(If im not mistaken is this running a registry alteration, or is it actually running the services program from the Run prompt?)

Value: Image

Filename: rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\image.dll,install

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 17:09
Sounds suspiciously like this :

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.iefeats.html

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 17:46
hmmm, it does sound very much like it. I dont trust Symantec though.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 18:08
Sounds like one of the programs you ran didn't do it's job completly.

There is some info here
http://www.scumware.com/apps/scumware.php/action::view_article/article_id::1075329940/topic::Scumware,-Spyware,-Adware-&-Malware-Applications/

You also might want to make sure you have the lastest version of CWshredder http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

You also might want to swap to a browser that isn't so vunerable.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:52:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:52:27