Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rich, Mods, DB'ers - Beyond a joke yet?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 15:09
has anyone considered combining the forum and irc chat?

the irc chat can stop the spammers on the forum. they come in the room and have a nice chat.

heck we get about 15-17 users in there every evening. there always someone who is ready to chat.

considering the amount of users who use this forum. you can drcrease the forum posts by redirecting user to the irc chat. so only serious posts get posted on the forum.

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 15:28 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 15:30
@adr

Yes but we wouldn't like to have those "pricks" hanging around anyways and we all know who they are already don't we?

Anything that "Labels" someone isn't good and is just meant to eventually blow up harder and causing even more trouble.

I wanted to suggest the characters number limit but too much restrictions will also cause trouble and discomfort to those unconcerned.

Quote: "But what if you're just answering questions
"

With code,an image or a pertinent link is the best help you can give.

I'm sure I could find an appropriate link for mostthreads I participate in to help since I too have learned it from somewhere...If it's not on the web,it's likely to be of no concern to a digital coder/artist.

Quote: "offering critique on a model"

Well that's the best example of how using an image can HELP much.

Let's say I give a crit about yellow's Majin Buu model and I find the dorsal laps are rather undefined...The problem is,not everyone has a good anatomic book or reference close so giving a link from let's say "Gray's anatomic book online" wouldn't be a bad idea instead of trying to make him undertsand where it is with simple text.

It's a much more constructive and focused approach.

Quote: "discussing if you liked UT2004 because you just bought it?"

Well that falls in the category of the Focused Talk which could be accepted as long as it keep on subject.

I've seen more tens of plain useless threads named like;

"ah!A good day today!"

OR

"Yesssss!My mom lets me use her laptop"

This isn't a chatroom made for socializing,if you like someone here and you like to talk about stuff that doesn't concern gaming,coding or anything related to the devlopement of your games/arts then there are several communities over the internet whose purpose is just that.

I'm not saying everyone should wipe out their smile and get serious to the extreme but there is always a middle-course.(gd word?)...Any Budhists here?

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 16:32 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 16:35
How about the mods being able to place users on..er...moderation!?!
That is, posts from users on moderation are quarantined until vetted by a mod. Once they have proved themselves to be worthy again, they are taken off moderation.

One advantage of this is that you can stipulate that a user must post, for example, 5 useful/helpful posts before being let out into the wild again.

To go back to the original post...yes, this forum is being devalued by the crap that gets posted. The odd humorous remark doesn't devalue a thread and is often enlightening, but some of he flame wars that go way off-topic are a waste of bandwidth.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 18:42
hey, that's a good idea.

Can I see a demo now?
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 19:42
Great idea BatVink

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 22:22
BatVink - I like the idea, but it puts a lot of extra work on the mods. It is the minority that cause problems, not the majority. We all reactively clean up the mess they leave behind, banning etc where required. When those powers are extended a little further to the mods I honestly think that will be enough.

I still REALLY like the "no more than 5 new threads in any one board per day" thing, so that is highly likely to be implemented.

Please understand that a thread does NOT equal a message.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 01:45
If you mean, "You can only start five seperate threads per forum section per day", then yeah, I'm up for that. Seems reasonable enough to me. I can't recall a time when I've started more than one thread a day to be honest.

www.tronsoftware.co.uk
AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 180GB HDD, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, DirectX 9.0b
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 02:41
maybe a time based level mode. the new users get 1 new thread a day and tons of replies.

after 1-2months they auto go up a level so they can create more threads.

etc etc

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 03:11
This is a forum for a product that's targeted at a younger generation. Hence, you're going to get a lot of young people posting here, which will unavoidably lead to immaturity and flame. The only way to fix it is to tighten the locking and deleting standards by a lot.

Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:31
How about, new users (say those who have only been signed up a month) can only post on the newbie forum, with a harsh credit system. the newbie threads (by users signed less than a month) are locked untill an admin or mod checks it and gives it the thumbs up. if they give thumbs down, the they send a message to newbie which he recieves when he next logs on, explaining why it remains locked and asking him to modify the thread. or it is deleted. hah.

never know, could work.

Monty
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:43
Nah that seems like too much work for the mods and it restricts new users who may have previous db experience, but they never signed up. And the sending message is too much work and too ineffective for the admins. Thats my two cents anyway.

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
it might filter out a LOT of idiots, but it'd probably filter out a lot of users, period. if people come to a language where the community treats them like the scum of the earth for a month, will they want to use the product? what if a new user is already an experienced programmer? and like vash said, it'd be a huge workload on the mods, especially witht he amount of newbies we have here

the nature of fanboy was irrepressible.
predicted DBP P6 release date: Bjork 45, 3418
"i was joyously happy!" - TomBosely
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 06:49
I have implemented the following rule into the new build:

Users who have been members less than 60 days cannot post more than 3 new THREADS in any ONE board per 24 hours.

There is no limit on the number of replies to other (or their own) threads that they can post.

If those figures turn out to be unworkable, I'll modify them based on complaints (etc) but it should be enough to get started.

Cheers,

Rich

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 11:23
Nice one Rich, that should help a great deal .

Looking forward to using the new build.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You should combine it 60 days + 60 posts. That'll stop people making ghost members that wait for the 60 days to expire.

Rage_Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:03
Good thinking, Pincho.

www.tronsoftware.co.uk
AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 180GB HDD, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, DirectX 9.0b
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 20:17
I don't want them to HAVE to had posted say 60 times, that's a bit unfair and I think it would generate crap posts just to get their post count high enough. The new thread limit should be sufficient - if anyone is really pro-active enough to sign-up accounts just to wait the 60 days needed they really need a life! (and, there's probably very little we can do to stop people like that).

More ideas welcome though.

Cheers,

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:58:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:58:41