Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3rd Person Camera Problems(DB PRO)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 04:07
I am currently working on a very simple 3D tank game. So far all is good, I have a small BSP level, loaded and working, and a tank model which i have already programmed to move forward, backwards and yrotate left/right. I am having some camera problems though. I am using the
command position camera 1,object position x(tank),object position y(tank)+50,object position z(tank)+370 in a looped subroutine. This makes the camera follow the tank. My problem comes when I try to rotate the camera to stay behind the tank. Obviously, if the camera is behind the tank, and they both rotate say 45 degrees on the y angle, the camera view will miss the tank. What I need is a simple way to rotate the camera on a circle, so that it stays behind the tank. I can't figure out a way to rotate it on a point say +50 to the
z position of the camera. Any help would be apprieciated. Oh yes I am using DB Pro.

Thank you

Remember, a jedi's strength flows from the force...
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 07:03
use this command:

set camera to follow object position x(tank),object position y(tank),object position z(tank),object angle y(tank),distance,height,smooth,collision

this will tell the camera to follow a given coordinate at a given angle, height and sitance.....just put in the distance and height you want it to stay at.....

hope it helps,
Bishop

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 07:09
her, i typed up a quick example

cheers,
Bishop

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Jedi Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 17:47
Thanks, i'll try it out after school when I get the chance. I also have one more question, i am having problems with my BSP collisions. Because the collision radius on the object is a sphere, if I make it big enough to stop the tank when it hits a wall, the tank floats up off the ground. To keep the tank on the ground, the collision radius is smaller, and so at least half of the tank can go into the walls. Is there a way to specify a BSP object collision radius to be a rectangle, and to set the size? I realize BSP's are limited but i'm a beginner so I want to stick with them for awhile. Hey, hover tanks could be a good idea....

Remember, a jedi's strength flows from the force...
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 20:52
Here's what you want:
SET OBJECT COLLISION TO BOXES Object Number

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 00:10
bsp still has some problems, so i would suggest that you invest in Nuclear Glory's Collision DLL....it cost 15 bucks and is one of the best investments that i have made....it makes flawless collision at any speed with .x models...

just a thought,
Bishop

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:29:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:29:55