Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ive finally bought an optical mouse

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 09:58
Yes my friends. no more mouse jam for one of my computers.
Id need another 6-8 tho to fully be optical.

I know your thinking omg this guy should get with the times.

Ive been using a ball mouse since the macIIplus so its a huge thing to finally move away from. Ive used them before on friends pcs and such but always created things with a sticky gooey ball in my mouse for all my gaming coding and artwork, not forgetting my trusty wacom tablet (which i had been pronoucing "waycom" in fact after watchin a video its "whackem")

One thing i do like is they work without a matt and even on fluffy blankets.

Its a sign of the times i tell ya.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 10:30
I remember when I first got a mouse wheel. Oh man, mouse wheels rock, and so do optical mice.

Life is so much better when you're optical.

Quote: "Posted: 7th Apr 2004 02:30"

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 11:00
Well I'm still using a trackball although it does have a mousewheel and 2 side buttons. Cleaning it is a pain in the ass but I'd still keep it rather then going and buying an optical when I'd rather buy a graphics card first. I'll probably have it for another 2 or 3 years at least. o_O

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 11:09
i pad $29AUD for optical which is nothing since i dont smoke anymore.
thats 3 packs of cigs!!! dang u inflation or dang u nicotine companies.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 11:15
optical mouse... i have one on this POS PC... to make up for the rest of the peraphials being crap...

optical is good for only 1 thing though.... FPS

lots a control for aiming

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
its hard gettin used to mice without mousewheels. in my school it room there are no mousewheel mice, al the geeks are sittin infront of the pc scxrolling their finger between the 2 buttons hoping for it to scroll the page up and down, after a minute they blurt out and realise.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 12:02
optical mices are nice. but what you really need is optical AND Wireless. Though my latest "wireless" (microsoft optical wireless package) seems to work only at very short distances.
Oh well, the good thing is that it works no matter what's below it.
aaand, of course.. no more bumps in the line you are drawing with the mouse.

oh, btw, that sidescrolling thingy... in the wheel. It's crap. First of all there's no way to make it scroll smoothly. Secondly, it's slooow. even with the full speed. and it doesn't work everywhere.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 12:40
i got a logitech wheelmouse

nothing special....

Must mean i am poor, can i have some money?

lol

Whats so good about living anywho?
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 13:39
I got a wireless optical and it works 5-6 metres away from the receiver even though it says 2 metres on the box only 50 euro (compared to the 200 euro ones I saw in the shop)

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 15:38
Get on with the times indi

Sweet isn't it?No more dirt,that's the most important factor and also that it's much more precise and won't lock down your ressources.

As anyone who's had a pc for a while and had a bad mouse,you know what I'm talking about right?

I mean,I didn't even know the mouse could make a system unstable like mine was...Remember I had auto-reboot problems with my pc and I had checked every component from the Changin the Power Supply(which was needed in the first place),Board battery and most of the wiring inside the thing.

Turned out the mouse was getting old(3 years for a basic Ms mouse is acceptable though) and the system was acting very erratically(slowdowns,reboots anything annoying).

Since then,no problems.

BlackBird thinks he owns the sky,
But he can't look me in the eye,
-Andy Bell
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 19:06
mine came with the laptop
it is great though I hardly ever use it

You're just jealous cuz the voices don't talk to you!!!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 23:52 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 23:55
optical trackball is the way to go, both my machines have em, they take a little adapting too, but once your hooked using a mouse feels cumbersome and innacurate for everything from desktop to fps games, I would never go back, plus when you spend the amount of time I do on the PC, you don`t get any shoulder/wrist pains with a trackball, like you do with a mouse (and it has a scrollwheel too)

Mentor.

ps: I take it Mr X uses the scratchpad on his laptop rather than a mouse, I can`t live with those things, they annoy the behind off me, always selecting stuff you didn`t intend and fiddley as hell

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:33:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:33:41