Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Lame Music in Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been looking endlessly on the net for a free, simple, music making program, used for simple music. like the old nintendo class,
that is a sequece of beeping that varies in pitch and tone, maybe a drum sounding noise.
I need some music for my crappy games. I was previously taking recorded wav's from an emulator, but I'd like my own.

Does anyone know of such a program?

Badmonkey91@hotmail.com
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 17:19
you could download fruity loops (trial) the only disadvantage of the trial is that you can only export (not save) so if you close the window then all your work is gone unless you exported it to a wav or something(which means you can't work on it anymore )

"Your wife is death. How? NO idea. But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 17:19
Modplug Tracker, free, and Soundtrackers have been making this sort of music for years. Note that you can play soundtracker files in DBC and with DBPro using the bass.dll (plenty examples of this floating around). I think that's the best solution for chip style music, packages only tend to use .wav files. Fruityloops is pretty good for synthy sounds and has a real C64 SID chip feel to it, but I find to very restrictive for composing.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 17:24
for reference. listen to spy vs spy one, man that has some seriously cool music.
look for the "Spy_vs_Spy.sid" c64 music on the gooster

fall down seven times, stand up eight
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 19:03
I´ve also been looking for a free simple music maker. Has anyone seen anything simular to music for the playstation? That would be perfect for game music.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
the playstation simply uses MIDI. but MIDI doesn't sound the same on every computer. which is why it's impossible to make music that "sounds like the playstation" because it has its own unique sound.

the nature of fanboy was irrepressible.
predicted DBP P6 release date: Bjork 45, 3418
"i was joyously happy!" - TomBosely
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 07:27
Quote: "the playstation simply uses MIDI"

???! are you sure about that?

Amist the Blue Skies...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 11:28
Hehe - he means the music package 'Music' for the Playstation - which is quite similar to EJay, except you can compose music instead of just using samples. It's a great package, Music2000 lets you sample from CD's, I've used it quite a lot.

Music2000 was released on the PC, but it'll be a bit of a challenge to find it.

There's VSD Tracker too, that's quite easy to use, just nab it from the showcase here.

Van-B

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 12:10
Ive got that Music2000 for psx1
Ive always wanted the one with the dolphins swimming as you played the music, sorry i forget its name.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 14:53
Um.Perhaps I should have made myselve clearer. Van B is right. Thanks. I´ll keep my eye out for it.

The Monkeys Ate My Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 15:23
hey, I cant seem to find vsd tracker anywhere, could you perhaps give me a link?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 16:04
Here's a link to the showcase page:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=92

Note that you are best to export the song as a wave file then convert that to a .mp3 rather than try and use the replay routines for in-game music.

Van-B

The Monkeys Ate My Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 17:24
k, thanks man

p.s. love the monkey pic, that show is great
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 17:26
Van B
Quote: "Fruityloops is pretty good for synthy sounds and has a real C64 SID chip feel to it, but I find to very restrictive for composing."

ya that's what i noticed to what do you recomend (that's free) for composing

"Your wife is death. How? NO idea. But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 18:04
Actually, I use VSD Tracker quite a lot for messing around and composing stuff, I like to have 64 slots in my tracks and be able to use them properly - Fruity can have 64 slots as long as you only want to see 16 at a time! - makes it fairly annoying. I don't think many people use VSD, I like using it because I designed it and it works how I want it to, god knows how other people take to it - just be sure to read all the internal help document.

There is still Modplug which is also free and has a windows front end - a lot of PC trackers you'll find have Dos front ends which can cause problems, as well as being a pain to use.

Soundtrackers though, it's about time someone made a new funky soundtracker with Fruity style sounds - or the makers of Fruity should add a soundtracker GUI. It might just be the countless hours I spent on TCB Tracker on the Atari, but I don't think there's a neater or easier system of creating music than tracks.

Music2000 as mentioned earlier is reasonably good for composing, that program is a bit like an onion - you have an easy top layer with all the preset sequences that you load and position like some EJay newbie, then there's the composing layer where you edit your own sequences, then there's instrument sampling under that, then 3D visuals etc etc. I spent a vast amount of time on the PSX version, making tunes then mad videos to go along with them - great fun, best fun you can have on the PSX IMO. One thing that lets Music2000 down is the cruddy sound of some of the instruments, they often sound fairly dated and retro (and not good retro) - you have effects to personalise the sounds though, like echos and reverbs. It's not usual to see a PC music program that was based on a console music program - it must be unique in that respect, but for the cost (like £5 second hand) you won't get more for your money - I'd certainly buy it before MusicMaker or EJay.

Van-B

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 23:30
Hmmm. Don't forget you need lots of practice to get good, no matter what software you use (unless its Ejay or any other click and play proggy, and then even your nan could do it)!

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 00:20
Van B. I´ve used VSD. I got a bit confused with it but I think I´ll muck around with it again someday. In a few weeks my internet conection will be disconnected when we put in ADSL. I´ll be able to play with it then without distractions from the forum.

Oxgoad
Years of Service
User Offline
This probably won't be any help. (It's only for Macs). The program "GarageBand" is quite nice and extrememly simple. They have LOADS of short looping tracks, and if you don't wanna use theirs, you can make your own using any of a large number of instruments. It's simple, sounds great, and, ummm.... sounds great. It is however, not entirely free. In payment, they ask for your soul. Or maybe it was 5 bucks, I always get those two mixed up.

It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:10:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:10:30