Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / coding and command lines

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 00:14 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 00:18
hi

how do you:
1. make this work:
input "Type the directory name: ";name$
make directory ;name$

2. how do u make functions work, i always get this message:
Runtime error at line x. Program ran into a function declaration

3. how do u make progs hacker proof (i dunt need this now but i will do)

NOTE: im using a very old trial - got a nu one now and im getting a full version soon

thanks
N30F15H

PS. if anyone wants ne of my 'ok' apps then email me

Hello, I'll do this later...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 00:37
1:
input "directory name? ";name$
make directory name$

2:
don`t do

program here
blah
function whatever
blah
endfunction

do

program here
blah
END or LOOP
function whatever
blah
endfunction

since the first will plod all the way through the instructions until it falls into the function and messes up, you must end the main code or stick it into an endless loop

3:
you can either download a program security app or write a program that looks for device numbers on the PC it was installed on and refuses to run on any but that PC, or any other cunning plan that springs to mind

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 00:42 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 00:59
Quote: "3. how do u make progs hacker proof (i dunt need this now but i will do)"

you can't. If they want it bad enough, they will break it.

having said that...
I know of a pro solution but it costs nearly 500 usd and needs to be coupled with a few other things to be as secure as it can be. I may start offering my protection/publishing services to dbp developers as a business venture in the near future - I must research more first. Currently I offer custom software development solutions, and have one retail product on my site. Peep the sig.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 00:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 00:46

";" joins two strings together in the same way as "+"

2. read the tut here, it explains about functions http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=25076&b=7

you ain't the cops
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 19:31
thanks

i realised the answer to the second Q after i tried it

on the point of hacking, isnt it only hackers wh are truly safe?
anyway, i just had a thought; why not make an app that warns the user 3 times if they are doing dodgy stuff, then bombs them with viruses if they do it again? that would stop them

however, thus comes the question, what about the fools that did it by accident, then i guess i'd offer them removal for those viruses

i'll come online later and put on some source code of what ive done; it's m hols now!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 19:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 19:44
Quote: "i just had a thought; why not make an app that warns the user 3 times if they are doing dodgy stuff, then bombs them with viruses if they do it again? that would stop them"

Too easy to get sued that way. Instead license the software to them. Force them to agree to the license before using the software. And if they hack with it (say the CRC check for the program fails), you delete the software and inform the user to that fact as well as remedial actions required to get their license back.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 19:47
when I was researching protection schemes I found one funny story from a shareware developer. It was something like: He included a boolean variable in his code bIsRegistered with a few decoy functions and logic branches to confuse the crackers. His cleverness came in where bIsRegistered was never set to true by his code. It was just a decoy. Knowing that cracks would see this and inject some code to cause it to be true always, if that value was ever true the code would "know" that the app was tampered with. The kicker was that when the value was true a background process went into System/System32 (depending on OS) and started deleting *.dll *.sys *.exe etc etc - nice! He was able to glean from various sources that he b*tch-smacked about twelve crackers out there and ruined their day. He then went on to not recommending this technique.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 21:29
that is a good technique but on ur advice i fink one should use the 'detector' thing but then delete the software, which would be legal if u use the thing

in addition, i just realised that i never read the statement lol

anyway, i said i would post more stuff, there is a prob in this code; the if statement wont work

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 21:46
if dkey=1 then datetime() ?

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:21
no the function works, test it up the top if u like, but the execution ends after all the print, i cant get it to wait for your command, and do loop and other repeats dont work!

by the way, do u like what ive done so far?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:42:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:42:43