Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My backlight is DEAD...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 07:54
Wednesday April 7th

I regret to inform that during a rebooting accident my notebook LCD’s backlight has expired…

Anyway

That can't be good, I rebooted my notebook but the screen didn't refresh...This is the second time this happens and that got me wondering:

+Can this be anything other than the backlight,I know that the problem is that the backlight not working(cause if you get some light near the display you can see it's working), but could have something turned it off?
+Can I test it somehow?
+Shouldn’t these CCFL last LONG?
+Has anyone else here experienced trouble with LCD’s backlight, what did you do (first time I sent it to tech support but right now I’m looking for alternatives)?

(Sadly)I Don't really think there's much to be done other than preparing to battle the tech support (what was I thinking ...buying something I can't dissassemble (...I did try...))

Any advice is welcome

Currently coding: MAG
Recent coding: Video Capture Plug-in
Pharos, Time traveling since 2025
CKy
Years of Service
User Offline
the backlight in my laptop is dead. but is a celeron. i thought the concept of being a celeron-based lappy made it commit suicide
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 11:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 11:45
hmm.. I've heard that many laptops have similar problem. It's usually caused by poor connection cables or something. Try tapping on the area where the display meets the lower part. whatever it is called.
if this is the case, fixing it shouldn't be a big problem... but I've never done it personally, just read about it.

or you could call the tech support and ask for a new laptop. Usually they require that the laptop has been sent to them at least three times, but you can always try.

my friend got a brand new ~3ghz laptop in place of his old ~2ghz one that just simply slowed down and crashed every once in a while. I believe the problem was in the user, rather than in the comp... but still he got the new one..

<<free textures. || Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 12:09 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 12:11
You're in luck--- I used to work for HP Pavilion laptop support. Well for this problem we always got the user to:

A.) Do a hardware reset. Involves holding power button in for about 15 seconds.

If that didn't work, try:

B.)

1.) Power notebook off completely (no hibernation)
2.) Remove battery (and external power source)
3.) Remove RAM
4.) Put RAM back in
5.) Insert battery
6.) Power on notebook.

This fixed the backlight problem 80% of the time I'd say. If that doesn't work and your laptop's still under warranty, be prepared to be without the notebook for several weeks! And be prepared to have your notebook's OS formatted and reinstalled!

Good luck.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 16:32
If you are handy then a connection problem might be fixable but you will need to take it apart. If you open and close the lid a lot bad design or assembly could cause the wire to bend causing it to eventually break. Or there could be a problem with the connectors.

you ain't the cops
Proteus 1935
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 20:07 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 20:08
So I grabbed my screwdriver and opened the display and what I found was disturbing... The backlight power source wires are TAPED together Those guys are going to hear from me...

@las6:
"poor connection cables or something" exactly...

@Jeku:
Wow! I'm gonna try that thanks!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 20:17
heh, I thought you said BlackLight...
( "nooo! now my glowy posters ain't glowy anymore - and I can't see sh*t!!")

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Proteus 1935
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 20:21
No luck with the hardware reset...

I'll try removing the ram (that used to work in my old desktop)...
I guess that is really all I can do, without breaking the Warranty seals...

Wait I can also mess with the processor & the harddrive(but that has nothing to do with my problem right?)

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 21:02
@CR: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're just jealous cuz the voices don't talk to you!!!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 06:36
Mr. X - Please stop with your LOL's. It's annoying to see a post with the words: LOL and that's it.

Proteus - What brand of laptop is it? And I wouldn't mess around with the CPU if I were you, that will *definitely* void your warranty

Proteus 1935
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 07:17
@Jeku

"Proteus - What brand of laptop is it? And I wouldn't mess around with the CPU if I were you, that will *definitely* void your warranty"

It's one of those desknotes ("notebooks" with no battery)
http://www.desknote.net/dn/spec.cfm?modID=106
an A928...

If you look at the last picture on:
http://www.desknote.net/dn/photo.cfm?modId=106
The "desknote" is made so that It can have it's CPU/Memory/Hd configured by the seller...I mentioned that I had acess to the cpu cause there're no warranty seals down there

@Jeku again:

Hey you're the maker of WordTris got to say I loved playing it ...I installed it all over the place... Ow my little sis here also says she liked it

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 02:14
Ohhh i see. Well good luck with their tech support

Thanks for the good words about WordTris, glad to see you and your family like it! I'm working on WordTris 2.0 right now actually--- I am just taking a break to these forums for a while

Good luck.

- Jeku

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
if you have opened the flaming laptop, how do you expect it to still lbe under warrenty, they can tell!

Dig a pit and poo in it
Proteus 1935
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 22:09
Amazing... I went to the tech-support and out of luck they had the part I needed(inverter)! so after all it wasnt the backlight!

It's fixed!

@pricey :I'm really careful when opening stuff (I do it to computers since I was 7 )...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:57:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:57:09