Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] humble aussie flag

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 10:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 10:43
yeah in a nutshell this skippy has been banned from flying her flag in america when the military family next door could fly there own one no sweat.

cough blatant cough bigotry cough

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9211318%255E662,00.html

fall down seven times, stand up eight
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
i still dont get why someone would fly a flag outside their house, that article makes it seem like everyone does it, but i still cant picture it in my neighborhood...

Current Project: DarkEssence, an Action/RPG style game.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 11:11
Reminds me of a few years ago, when they banned the English and British flags from shop windows during (I think) one of the Euro tournaments (might have been 2000). All other countries were alright. There was one story about a street with a couple of italian restaurants that had the italian flag, and a french shop. But a couple of english shops were told to take down their flags.

Good old government. Don't think they did that again because people got a little annoyed over that one. As far as I'm concerned though, I don't see why I can't hang the flag of "Dazzagland" over my house if I so wished. The above story really makes a mockery over the so called freedom of speech stuff etc that Americans (plus lots of other countries inc. UK) are so proud of. Sheesh.

Maybe I should move over there and put up a Welsh flag. Probably wouldn't like it because it glorifies a supposedly ficticious extinct species. Or something.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 11:13 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 11:15
A bloke on my street flies the Aussie flag everyday, if people are that pariotic then I don't see why they can't. I can't believe that article though, I mean bloody oath, we're always fighting US battles but when it comes to us needing some help (the Bali bombings for instance) they don't even give us a second thought. They don't even let us fly our own flag! That's disgraceful.

Oh and what was that other thing they did? Banned the names of french foods like 'french fries' because France didn't want to help with Iraq?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 11:25
Idiots

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 14:13 Edited at: 8th Apr 2004 14:15
Quote: "Banned the names of french foods like 'french fries' because France didn't want to help with Iraq?
"

Yeah, they were call "freedom fries".

As a foriegner living in the United States for 16 years (ohohoho, you learn somthing every day, but don't ask my native country(s)... you can guess) i find it ridiculus sometimes the way the people will bad mouth on other people's accents to other countrys political views. From the american stand point, the british are a bunch of Liberal Fanatics... and the liberals of the US don't even like you (not sure how much it is true... but it's what ya here around).

Were I am trying to get to is that the US is full of hypocrits and liars... every single american.. you, me and the guy across the street. You see a British Flag hanging up outside, the landlord will tell the owner of the flag to take the flag down... but yet we hang our own flag up in every public building in the US.

Bush says there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the french disagree with us (for a good reason), so we denounce the french in almost every way. |Low and behold... not one ******* weapon of mass destruction in all these places that bush said "I know they are there...I do!!"

so what am i saying in short: That americans are Hypocrit, liars, and make lots of mistakes, and its lft to the rest of the world to clean it the hell up...

(yeah thats right... I ranted.. deal with it)

--Eric

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: The Apprentice
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
>Good old government.

When did Home Owners Associations become government?

It is illegal in many countries to fly flags belonging to other nations... So what!

The problem arises when a small local 'club' decides to take it upon themselves to 'legislate' on matters of conscience.

Andy
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 15:46
Quote: "When did Home Owners Associations become government?"

No one claimed they did. Dazzag's comment was referring to when they banned the English and British flags from shop windows.

Quote: "It is illegal in many countries to fly flags belonging to other nations... So what!"

That's untrue, it certainly isn't illegal to fly the US or any other flag down here so why should it be in the US? It's not like it's offending anyone, especially when we've supported the US for so long.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 16:11
Y'know, this thread was alright until the xenophobia kicked in ...

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:37:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:37:26