Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Free sound FX!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 17:02
Hello poeples of the world
I´ve just found a site where you can find tons of royalty free sound effects. Here´s the URL: http://www.partnersinrhyme.com
Enjoy!

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 17:32
Not terribly good quality - I'll probably keep hunting around.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 19:09
I like a1freesoundeffects.com

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:45
This site is good aswell. Altough it doesn´t have as large a selection of burp noises

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 23:10
http://www.echovibes.com/ is good too.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 23:10
Or you could just ask people like myself to make them for you.
Unless of course you're just pissing around and not making a decent game, and then free website are the way forward so you dont waste anyones time.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:11
So, you do free SFX ?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:14
Sort of. I'll join a team as a sound engineer/musician, but I wont just take requests then spend hours doing free sound and sending it out. If I can get in on a project that looks like it'll get finished and get my name in the credits, then yes, I'll do free sound fx.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 17:41
What do you mean pissing around? My games only got the menus to go. Anyway. Downloading them from sites is quicker.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 18:21
Hehe MIR, I doubt Fallout was meaning your particular game - I think he meant that those sites are fine if your not too worried about lower quality sounds.

Fallout,
How about making a general sound pack then? - like some general use sounds that we could use then credit you for. Maybe a basic FPS sound set with some weapon firing and reloading sounds, along with some footsteps, door opening/closing and some other environment sounds.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 18:30
Quote: "How about making a general sound pack then?"

yes that would get you in on a lot of projects at once

Time Soft-"Your wife is death. How? NO idea. But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 20:18
@VanB

hehe. Yeah, I was just generalising, but rereading my post, it did seem a bit offensive. lol. Which I appologise for. What I meant was free sound sites are good for quick "messing around" projects and for people that are only doing a half arsed job and won't be getting their project finished. Once again, comment not directed at anyone in particular.

I have considered sound packs. It's not a bad idea at all, but to be honest, I'd rather people threw an alpha my way and let me play it and create sounds specifically for that game. The reason being that I actually enjoy making sounds and I like the challenge of say looking at how a character moves, what noise the clothing might make (armour clinking, heavy boots etc) and then making sounds specifically for it.

To get my name in the credits of a game that just used a generic sample pack by me wouldn't be half as satisfying nor fun as credits for work specific to that project. And it'll sound 10 times better. Do you really want your characters footsteps, your M16 firing, and your helicopter flybys sounding identical to everyone elses?!?

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 21:38
Oh. Ok. No hard feelings.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 04:08
Hmmm... I would like to appropriate your sound engineering abilities in the near future, if your not too busy - for a mention in the credits list (got plenty of room there).

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 05:20
Yep, I would definitely be interested in helping you out mate. My only requirement is that I do sounds for some sort of working demo. Doesn't even have to be an alpha. It can just be a basic engine shell, etc. The reasons being that (1) it gives me something to work from and (2) it means my work is less likely to be wasted on a project that never gets far enough to include them.

Not making any assumptions above that you're project is made on a whim. I'm sure when you do a project, you do it right. It just works out nicely this way tho, as people shouldn't need sound anyway until there is an onscreen action requiring it.

Tell me a bit more about your project mate. I am interested. I am busy at uni at the moment, but I can do bits of work here and there until I finish this years exams (end of may) and then I can put in some proper work.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
like the sig, fallout

Dig a pit and poo in it
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 13:12
My Blox game is mostly up and running - its still pre-beta because there are still various bits missing (no joystick code, nothing much happens if a player gets squashed in two-player competitive mode and the only thing stopping immediate loading of each new level is a MessageBox).
The only downside to it is it requires 2 downloads (the second being 33Mb - due to the amount of music)

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 15:43
I'm still interested. When I get back to uni, I have 1mbps broadband, so assuming the server its hosted on is reasonable, thats no problem. If you're still interested in me having a go with some sounds, then stay in touch and when I'm back at uni I can check out the game and then chat to you about what you want and what I can do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:29:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:29:26