Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Do these Teams work then?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:21
Sheer curiosity on my part. There are always loads of posts made in the "Teams" board. Does anyone know if *any* of these teams have actually produced anything?

I'm only interested because I have absolutely no interest in making a game as part of a team. I always want to be the sole creator and keep to my own vision. So, I was just wondering if, in practice, working as part of a team here has actually produced anything....seeing as how DBC/DBP have been out for a while now.

www.tronsoftware.co.uk
AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 180GB HDD, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, DirectX 9.0b
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:31
I believe all the teams that've released something have not ever posted on those boards. Though some independant developers who have released things have posted there once or twice. Most, if not all of the good teams don't use those boards though.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 22:41
Well the team I was part of never made a game. It would be interesting to find out if any team produced a game. I wonder what happened to the mega team.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 23:13
Yeah, a truly equal team never works. Really you need 1 guy, and his project and then a team of people helping out, else it makes things very complicated.

I've posted team requests and got some help from Yellow and Nick Igoe in the form of 3D models. I'd regard that as a team. When I get enough time, that project will be completed, as it's 75% there already.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 00:15
Still need some more models Fallout? I've been slacking a little latly and I think it's time I do something.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 00:44
I will eventually, but Nick has given me a bunch, and I still havent had time to return to the project. Still bogged down in uni work. Thought I'd have time to do more to the project, but not yet. I'll let both of you know when I get a chance to crack on with it again. Then I'll be asking for more models.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 10:37
Personally, the best teams consists of exactly one person.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
1 person?

Textures,Programming,Story,Walkthrough/missions/effects,models "animated and static),sounds,music and all what it takes to make a good looking game.

Should one person do all this job or at least,lern all this things?
Nope,1 person isnt good,well it would be,To recreate pacman!

Just a fan of art!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 13:09
I'm doing all my level design, graphics, programming etc etc.
The only think I haven't done is the music or sound effects.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 13:20
Unfortunately, most good coders can't model, or write music, and artists tend not to be good coders. There are however a few people here that can produce great games on their own, but they've all put in the effort and learned the skills required.

I used to be 1 half of VanSimple Designs, I did the coding, Simple did the artwork, and he is a great artist despite his recent actions. Then he decided to concentrate on his artwork rather than making games/apps, leaving me on my own again. I am a part of a couple of team projects, but my own projects are now my own and I would'nt change that - just means I've got to be able to do everything.

I suppose what I'm saying is:
If you have a game idea that you'd like to explore but don't have the necessary skills - start a team and you might even finish it.
But....
If you have a game idea that you MUST finish, expand your skills and go solo.

I have a game idea that I must finish, but there's certainly no harm in varying your workload, the more projects you work on, the better a coder you become. It's finishing projects that's the tricky bit, even when they are just Pacman clones .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:37
Yeah, it is possible. My only weak link is modelling. I used to use milkshape and lithunwrap but it just never turns out particularly good looking.

TCA is right to an extend. If you can master the lot, then you're at an advantage, because you're your own boss, you're own time manager, you can do whatever you want, when you want, and most of all you don't have to rely on anyone else. And the internet can be a difficult communication barrier, especially when people come from different time zones.

The more skills you can master yourself, the better, although it helps if you were interested in them from a young age. I've been programming sinse I was about 12, and have since done it for A Level, and then at degree level, which has made me very competent with code. Similarly, I've been writing electronic music for around 10 years as another key hobby, which has helped me learn sound engineering. I've also been making websites, and messing around with graphics packages for god knows how long, which helps me with 2D art.
I used to mess around writing huge stories when I was a kid, and I've always made use of flowery vocab, so I found I have an aptitude for story writing.

When you add all that up, the only really weak links I have are 3D modelling and texture making. So I learnt to make textures, and now using texture generation proggies, and some editting I can do that pretty well. The last hurdle was modelling, and I sussed it all out. I can make models, animate them, export them etc. But I will admit, modelling is one of the few skills on that fair large "needed skills" list that is difficult to do well. By modelling I mean, creating the meshes, texturing them, setting them up so joins bend properly and animating them. That's a tricky skill, and one I've never really pushed myself to learn, so it's still my weak link.

But overall, I think 1 man is enough to make a decent game, as TGC said. But you do need to learn a lot to do it. I'm lucky in that games making isn't new for me, and lots of the skills you need I've been practicing sinse I was young, which means the door is wide open. There are a few other people here like that. The people who can code well and model well are in the best situation though.

I reckon, in an ideal world, a team of two is workable. Two people, who have most of the key skills, but cover each others shortfalls. For me, my ideal co-game maker would be someone with skills everywhere, but specifically good at modelling. Sound and music is my "special ability" as an all-rounder. hehe. Actually, would be cool to find a like-minded/like-skilled person who wants to team up as a two. I've worked with a few people like that before, and its very productive.

Right, finished gabbling. Last thing, cos that sounded like a fight sim. Fight sim style run down (imagine cheesey music and a selection screen for multi-characters):

Name: Fallout
Height: 6'2"
Weapon specialties: All game programming skills
Weakness: 3D Modelling
Special Abilities: Electronic music creation, and sound FX

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i coded all of my games on my own!

Dig a pit and poo in it
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 16:18
I reckon a few of us should group together and form a UK, DB exclusive development house. That would be cool.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 21:17
This is my theory on the Team Request.

Newbies who join want to have some glory and be worshipped by the community. So when they see the Team Request board, they feel it's necessary to have a team to build a mmorpg. Simply put, if there was no team request board, there would be no problems. Members would be able to contact each other personally, which would result in better team building if they really wanted a team.

I say close the team request board permenently.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 21:27
Good god! That will be like taking away our t.v!!!

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:57:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:57:11