Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / First game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im new to dark basic, and am wondering what do you consider the easiest game to make, i would have thought maybe asteriods???
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 01:43
pong would be easier than asteroids IMHO

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Twisted Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
but doesnt pong involve physics and AI, makin it hard??
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 02:59
I would tend to agree that Pong would be easier than Asteroids - think about the asteroids breaking apart, the hyperspace, the shooting, and the space ships that appear all requiring physics and AI - you can get away with a basic Pong game with no physics at all - and if you make it two player only (which is how Pong should be played) then there is no AI at all to consider.

Go on - you know it makes sense - go for a Pong game first

If you do want a single player Pong game then the AI can be simply determing where the bat has to move to intercept the ball and making it move that way.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 03:25
there is a 3d pong tutorial in an older thread somewhere - search the threads for PONG

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 03:40
Chris Knotts pong tut http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22030&b=7 that CattleRustler mentions. Worth spening a couple of minutes reading even if you do go for asteroids.

you ain't the cops
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 06:43
There's not a whole lot of AI used in pong. For my pong, I took the difference of the paddle's position and the ball, then made the paddle move a portion of the difference. Depending on how "good" the AI is, you can change the size of the portion.

There 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
Twisted Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks everyone for the speedy replies. i actually started on a pong game, i have all the screen borders, paddles and the ball drawn, i was having trouble with the ball movement tho, i couldnt make it bounce off the walls, which is why i gave up.
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:14
you need to look at colision then, however, for practice you could do a astroids type game, with a ship that moves to hit a ball around, no hard phys there

Hello, I'll do this later...
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 14:44 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 14:55
remove

Hello, I'll do this later...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:35:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:35:23