Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Beyond Good & Evil

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 06:55 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 06:56
Hi all,

Tonight my wife and I completed Baldurs Gate 2 on the PS2, it was a pretty good game but nothing really that inspiring. The first one was significantly better, but that's beside the point... the graphics were nice but it just wasn't all that interesting, you know?

Anyway, with that completed the next one we had to move onto was Beyond Good & Evil by UBI Soft (again on the PS2). I had seen a few good reviews and it's selling really cheap at the moment, so it was snapped up to play it at some point. Well, all I can say is I'm absolutely hooked! What a fantastic game. From screen shots you might be mislead to think it's just another 3D run, jump and collect stuff kinda game - but that couldn't be furthe from the truth. Sure, you do fight, but most the time you're taking photos (which is far more fun than it sounds!). Your side-kick is bacon-wrapped humour, the locations are just beautiful and the music has to be some of the best I've heard in a game for years.

The opening section of the game plays like a dream, moving effortlessly from action to slow-mo to cut-scene and out.

I have no idea how this one was so overlooked at launch. I very rarely wax-lyrical about a game like this, but this one truly captivated me and for the first time ever I know I will actually keep playing until I finish it. Game designers everwhere could learn a lot from its books.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Completely OT: Rich, do you have AIM? I have something I've been meaning to contact you about.

(Sorry to hijack the thread.)

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 07:14
Yes, I have seen good reviews for Beyond Good and Evil. I saw a review on X-Play(t.v show), that gave it high marks.

Perhaps when I have the time it will be added to my collection.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Beyond good and evil,A nice game.
Well i have it here since it was out but havent played it much.
I guess its time to turn on my ps2.
Yeah,the piggy is funny!

I do agree,the design,sequences and funny sentences are well-thinked,this game would be a very good motivation for every designer.

Just a fan of art!
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 07:18
why must you guys constantly make me jealous that your PS2s work and mine doesn't?

You're just jealous cuz the voices don't talk to you!!!
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
(NO edit button )

Actually i am not sure why i havent play that game very much,me as a fan of such game arts.
I would recommend you(if you dont know them already) to play the followin 2 games:

-SANITARIUM (a must)
-The Longest Journey ( a must, v2 comming soon )

and if you like horror,drama and love + more:
-The "Silent Hill" series

Just a fan of art!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "why must you guys constantly make me jealous that your PS2s work and mine doesn't?"

At least you have a PS2...

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 07:22 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 07:23
Agreed. It's an awesome game although a little buggy, one bug in particular forced me to restart completely. In one level there are these little robot things that you have to kill off (this is the second or third time you see them), they come out of the ceiling and after you kill them all, one drops a key so you can get through the next door. Well I tried millions of times and everytime I killed it, the key would always appear in the little compartment they came out of making it impossible to reach when it should've been dropped where it died. Even going back to my earliest save and reloading wouldn't work, gah, so annoying. I was really far into the game as well.

Quote: "NO edit button )"

Yes there is, look to the left and at the bottom of your post.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 07:56
Quote: "I had seen a few good reviews and it's selling really cheap at the moment"

Yes, despite great reviews, awesome game design, and decent graphics, BGE never really sold well. From the launch of the title it has been plagued by low sales which forced the publishers to lower the prices despite it being a fairly new game.

Its sad really; you can design a game so well and it still comes out towards the bottom market wise...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 08:00
i recomend getting an xbox most games look stunning and run superbly.

I wonder where that fish did go, a fish, a fish, a fish, O
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i recomend getting an xbox most games look stunning and run superbly."

I recommend SCREW THE CONSOLE WARS, PC pwnz j00 all!!!

lol i'm tired

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 15:47
It certainly looks like a gorgeous game!

It's funny how you often find a game that is not well known, or gets bad reviews, then play it and enjoy it much more than the supposed hits. I found this with the 2-player mode in Armourines (PSX), and more recently the new SWAT game on the X-Box - I always dismissed the SWAT games as crud - but the new game rocks!.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
I borrowed it from Blockbuster, yet to return it, I will someday...
...also, I am quitting from DarkBASIC for awhile so see y'all l8er.

Nice Long Vacation

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 17:35
The same thing happened with Prince of Persia. Rave reviews and poor sales. I can be partly blamed for that as I haven´t bought Prince of Persia or BGAE.
rantstart
Now don´t start another Xbos vs ps2 vs pc war again. Can´t....help...myselve. Pc games suck! Well some don´t. I mean what is this fasination with ww2 anyway? Why are there so many bugs and why are the so many hack, slash and collect stuff in grey cave games? Have they even heard of the word imagination?
rantend

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 17:51 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 17:52
It's strange, I always knew you could get Beyond Good & Evil on the PC, but I got the PS2 version instead (which I'm glad about) - so I went back a few issues in my PC magazines to see what sort of ratings it got and they were all really good (89%+) and yet it never really sold much - I remember NOT reading the PC version review because the picture showed a girl holding a camera.. there is just absolutely nothing appealing about a camera, and I reckon a lot of other people felt this also. If she'd been holding a massive big gun, how many of you would have stopped to look for a moment longer I wonder? I know I probably would have.

But, I got the game anyway so I'm glad. I progressed further into it today and am really impressed with everything so far. Another nice design element - you don't actually have to make Jade (the lead character) DO anything.. i.e. if she's running along and a big cavernous pit is up ahead, she jumps it automatically. Same goes for leaping up/down things. There is no messing about trying to aim, time and land a jump correctly - instead you concentrate on the task at hand. This is a lovely feature IMHO. Another one being the fact that when you die, you don't start the whole bloody level again, but rather jump back in time a minute or two to the last safe point (not SAVE point!) and try again.

I really DO admire games like this, ones that actually want you to play them and not prevent you from doing so.

Cheers,

Rich
PS - HZence "Rich, do you have AIM?" - no, ICQ and MSN only.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 18:25
did anyone catch WMG comments above?

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now don´t start another Xbos vs ps2 vs pc war again"

Too late

Quote: "Pc games suck"

Hey, you just continued the war.

OK, that is a HUGE generalization to say that PC games suck - and it's not even true.

@Rich: Ok...I'll e-mail you then. I don't want to post it here because we have some people that are very into the idea of piracy. Heh.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 19:11 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 19:13
My solution to the console vs console vs PC war is to play now and fight later. I own a PS2, an XBox, a Gamecube, and three PCs. So, I play the games I want and don't sweat the hardware. If Linux had a must play game, I'd probably turn one of the PCs into a dual boot machine and simply play it rather than going on a crusade.

Beyond Good and Evil sounds fun. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Fortunately, I don't have to fret over which system it is available for.
--
TAZ

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My solution to the console vs console vs PC war is to play now and fight later. I own a PS2, an XBox, a Gamecube, and three PCs. So, I play the games I want and don't sweat the hardware. If Linux had a must play game, I'd probably turn one of the PCs into a dual boot machine and simply play it rather than going on a crusade."

A good philosophy...I believe I shall become a follower

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 19:39
Sounds like youve got a nice wife there rich, trained her to play PS2 I see
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 20:08
She was a gamer before I ever met her, but now has access to my range of consoles, games, etc She still kicks my ass at PS2 combat games (Tekken, Soul Edge, etc) but never at SSX

Quote: "did anyone catch WMG comments above?"

Are his CoMments ever worth Catching?!

Cheers,

Rich

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 22:24
Quote: "She was a gamer before I ever met her"

Wow, where did you get yourself one of those? (lucky bastard)

Amist the Blue Skies...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 22:35
Quote: "did anyone catch WMG comments above?"

Quote: "Are his CoMments ever worth Catching?!"

This time...yes.

Looks like Majestic Worlds is turning out to be exactly what everybody expected...hot air

Sorry...please continue on the Good & Evil theme. I recently picked up a free copy of Downtown Run and wondered how I ever missed it. Very simple but very playable at the same time.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 23:33
of course this one's worth catching...we're rid of him
but, unfortunately we're rid of xTransworldx as well. Personally, I think it was a conspiracy staged by He Who Shall Not Be Named.

You're just jealous cuz the voices don't talk to you!!!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 00:10
Quote: "Hey, you just continued the war."

Yeh. I know. I was mainly talking to myselve when I said don´t go starting another war. There are some games that work better on pcs and are actually good games. C&C Generals for example, stuff where the keyboard and mouse are best.
zircher: You´ve got one up on me there. I don´t have a ps2, which is dumb as my fav games are RPGs.
Anyway. Back to the topic. I didn´t buy BGAE as it was made by the same team that made Rayman 3, which I was realy disapointed with. I prefered some aspects of Rayman 2.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 04:03
Quote: "The same thing happened with Prince of Persia."

Excuse my french but PoP Sands of Time was F*ing awesome, easily one of the best games ever. It was made by a bunch of nobodies but is still one of the most polished games I've ever seen, it was almost perfect in every sense. Graphics, gameplay, music and even the humorous comments he says are all superb. The only thing that lets it down is the battles get a little bit repetitive, they give you a new sword every now and then and I think those would be great times to mix up the way you fight a bit but sadly it remains the same. Other then that minor niggle though, it's definately above Halo and any other game on my list. It's a pity it didn't sell too well.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2004 04:14
Got the PC version today - and its very good; much better than Rayman...

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2004 04:23
When I saw the pre release shots an the preview last year I thought it looked fantastic, looked like a Zelda-style adventure. I might have to give it a try. In fact when i sw the first shots I tried to make a 3rd person engine in DBC that was somewhat similar.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2004 16:08
The only problem with this game (as in the case with most Ubisoft games), is the user-interface is badly designed.

For instance - when you start the game, you have to select your language (why it cant save it, I dont know), but anyway, you have to use the keyboard to move the selector, and then press the mouse button to select.

Why use two peripherals for a simple selection ? Why not all keyboard or all mouse?

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 21:50
Unfortunately still not grabbed this game yet, i've been hearing everyone raving about it; was gonna get it on my recent trip away, but then somehow i spent £250 on booze over the weekend (and hell yeah i got totally hammered but was great fun)

Currently the game i'd rave about is Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes.
Now you'd think a pure conversion from PSone to GC would kinda suck and be boring... but damn it that game is probably the best incarnation of MGS i've played.
Basically what they've done is remade the models with a few more polygons, revamped textures, added some dialog and replaced the engine with the MGS2 one.

Honestly I thought MGS2 sucked, i know that i wasn't the only one to think it was just plain boring. However when your put into the original scenario and the way in which the mission has been rebuilt mean you MUST use these new features, and the new Ai in more open area's rather than close quarter crap... it really brings the engine to life and shows the game as it was intended!

The added dialog helps to build the story, although sometimes makes the cut-scenes of epic proportions (hell one of them is 15minutes long, but the way it's structured you don't realise it). Unfortunately the game still suffers from Infinite bad guys, which is a huge problem considering that when you kill too many people or sound the alarm an entire squad of backup comes to the area... yeah it can get annoying.
What I truely love though is the complexity it now has. The original story delved you in deeply to the story; this one takes it a step further including a special extra part (which you've got to unlock).

Without a doubt the best in the series but hard as NiN ^_^

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 22:05
what is RSTUDIO|ANEX ?
the reason I ask is because "anex" isn't a word.
Did you mean "Annex" ? just curious.
Graphic looks cool.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 02:37
it is a trading name, and yes.

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:17:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:17:49