Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Starsky and Hutch?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 15:58
Anyone seen it yet?

I saw it last night, I won't reveal any of the plot - mainly because there wasn't one. I haven't cringed so much in my entire life - especially that ending! . Avoid it.

If it's a choice between Starsky, Dawn, or Gothika - I'd suggest Dawn, Gothika is ok but it's not anything that hasn't been done much better already.

I want to see Shawn of the Dead - the guys behind Shawn also produced Spaced - which my all-time favourite sitcom and should be great. Anyone seen that yet?

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 16:06
I hear S&H is the worst movie ever made

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 16:30 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 16:31
I was thinking about seeing it next week and probably still will, it's directed by the same guy who did Old School and Road Trip and has the same two leads as Zoolander. I laughed my ass off (literally) at all 3 movies where others have said they were bad so my sense of humour will probably find this one funny too. I could be wrong of course but there sure as hell isn't anything else to watch in the cinemas down here anyway.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 17:22
I gave up going to the movies
rock on with NetFlix

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 18:17
I didn't think S&H was too bad. Some funny moments like the coffee incident, the bit where they're questioning your woman and the bit with the towels. An above average comedy I would say.

Dawn of the dead is definately better. Also want to see shaun of the dead but hope they haven't shown all the funny bits in the trailer.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I though Starsky and Hutch was going to be Cr*p when I saw that the Sun newspaper was endorsing it. They are the people that make all these big claims about a movie, mainly because somehow they are involved in the business side of things. Avoid any movie which The Sun endorses unless someone like Empire is also mentioned. Johnathon Ross is also reliable.

Pincho.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 20:25 Edited at: 9th Apr 2004 20:25
Dawn of the Dead kicks multiple zombie asses. Can't decide if I prefer it to the original or not. Special effects wise and action wise it's 100 times better, but it lacks the character depth and doesnt seem half as monumental and epic as Romero's version.

I was a bit disappointed with how quickly they ended up in the supermarket, and how badly the explored the zombie phenominon. Where was the chopper ride? And they totally ignored the whole process of defending the super market. And there was no biker army plundering their supermarket.

Still, not dissing it. Best film at the movies at the moment, just could've been better if they're taken more elements from the original.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 21:15
most movies these days are nothing but "effect-fests", sadly.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 21:46
I saw S&H couple of weeks ago and thought it was quite good! I am old enough to remember watching the original series and this was a good attempt at recreating the 'humour'.

Boo!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 22:34
the speed it (S&H) got onto the shelves at the local shops (and the price) sorta tells you how well it was doing in the cinemas, personaly I am still waiting for ROTK and the special edition set, not seen the last two in the cinema since some twerps managed to ruin the first with home made "sound effects" and "funny" comments, so I decided to watch it at home when it comes out DVD this time like I did with TTT, this Autumn will be expensive, two LOTR dvd`s, the Starwars penultimate episode, Doom III, HalfLife II and Quake III, patch 6 and maybe 7, plan on getting my new car in October, spoilt for choice realy , all I need now is a £500 a week job .

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 22:51
Shaun of the dead's on my list Van-B ,was planning on seeing it when it opened tonight but got other things planned now

In a permanent state of 'Under Construction'
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm waiting for Harry Potter 3 is that sad? Anyway I like Harry Potter movies!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 00:21
@Mentor

Some kids messed up my viewing of LOTRs as well. I was close to slapping them round the back of the head. Cheeky blighters. You see everyone around you getting pissed off with them, and as you get closer and closer to breaking point, you sense the glory you will receive and the praise from your fellow cinema patrons and you clip their ears and tell them to shut up or meet an untimely end as they exit the establishment.

Of course, they always shut up just before you snap, which is very unsatisfying, before starting up again after you've calmed down.

Vengence!!!!!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 03:54
That's why it's best if you can wait a couple weeks and then you can go in with a nearly empty theatre. It's awesome.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 05:24
Probably was a couple of months wait to get an empty cinema for LOTR though. That was screening for ages, wasnt it?

I get your point though. Screens to yourself are definitely the way forward.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be a really good idea if Cinemas has a socket for earphones, and you could take your own earphones, or hire them from the cinema for £5 which you get back when you take them back at the end.

Pincho.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 13:50
The only problem with that is you don't get the full effect of the surround sound which is one of the huge bonuses of going to the cinema.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:38:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:38:49