Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Speakers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a laptop and it has really small built in speakers, I want to get bigger speakers for games and such. I would go out and buy new ones but I may be able to save myself some money, I have an old stereo that I don't use with big speakers, I would like to use those. The problem is is that it doesn't have any plugs, it they just have 2 wires coming out of each speaker and nothing at the other end of these wires. The plug I would use to put speakers on my lap top looks like the plug on headphones that you would use on a CD player. I was wondering if, if I could get a plug like that and attach the two wires to it would that work?
if so I would need to know if there is any special way to put the wires in the plug or since the plug is round can I just put them anywhere?

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 01:01 Edited at: 10th Apr 2004 01:02
you could theoretically use them but you need t know the resistance in Ohms before doing so. You would also know how to solder the correct plug onto the ends with the correct wiring schem to preserve the stereo quality.

the parts you need can be found at like a radio shack but I would read up first

would be easier to run a line-out line to your stereo from the sound out on the pc

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 01:13
Earphone Jacks have 3 wires, Left, Right, and Ground. Each speaker (I assume you have 2) has 2 wires, Ground and Signal(?). What you have to do is cut up an old earphones, and get the 3 wires, then connect the grounds of the speaker to the ground of the Earphone, the connect left to the left speaker, and right to the right one. That should work, but I doubt it would be any louder than it is now though without an amplifing the signal. It would be much easier to hook it up to your stereo, as CattleRustler said.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 01:41
If you set your laptop up by your hifi, all you have to do is connect the output for speakers from your laptop into the aux port on your hifi. Then you dont have to dismantle it, or do anything technical. Just get a standard 3.5mm jack (the headphone type one) which splits to L/R inputs. Almost all comp speakers have a cable like that to connect to the PC. You might have one lying around somewhere.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 01:42 Edited at: 10th Apr 2004 01:46
OK I cut off a plug from some headphones and I wired it correctly but it's not as loud as I thought, like you said. So how would I be able to amplify it, I don't think that I can go through my stereo though, It's kind of an older stereo, it just has the four sockets for the wires from the speakers a socket for the power supply and one for headphones. It doesn't have an aux port, I don't think.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2004 22:34 Edited at: 10th Apr 2004 22:38
you should stop trying to use those speakers on your laptop NOW, if the impedance is too low/high you will burn out your output stage on the soundcard, just buy some cheap powered speakers (£10 or less on the market), far cheaper than either getting your laptop repaired or replaced.
NOTE: electronics is my hobby, I must stress you are running a risk of destroying your audio output stage, do not just wire anything up to a amplifier and expect it to work, most amplifier outputs are matched to the speakers, too low an impedance is like a short, it will burn stuff out, too high a resistance will make for weak sound and the amp will have to run full power, again risking a blowup, thats the reason many sound systems have warnings about the correct speakers being used plastered on the back, modern circuits are tolerant and can operate over a wide range, but costs cut corners and you can`t be sure your laptop maker didn`t cut corners, you should expect something like that, I mean do you realy think the makers built it to run some 3ft tall speakers as well as an in-ear set of headphones?, just get a set of cheap powered speakers, much safer for your laptop and your wallet, why do you think powered speakers have the powered bit? to save current drain on the soundcard since the speakers could draw more than the card could supply on it`s own safely.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2004 00:07
Yes do what Fallout says, there should be one or more pairs of red and white plugs in the back of your hifi (Even very old ones have them). All you've got to do get the cable to connect them to your laptop.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:32:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:32:42