Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Direct cable connections between 2 pc's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2004 14:24 Edited at: 11th Apr 2004 14:28
Perhaps this isn't the right forum to ask this, but it is driving me mad and I not sure who else to ask...

How do you connect a windows-98 computer to a windows-xp computer so you can share files with a direct 'serial' cable?

I once got it working between two win-98 computers, but xp has changed all the programs for sharing files. Are there any programs on the internet which allow you to share files across 2 computers with a direct cable?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Oliver

[edit]
If i buy a usb-to-usb cable is transfering files any easier?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 18:12
if you have no ethernet cards and a hub or router, then you need a serial cable which is called a Null-Modem cable

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 18:36
I use laplink, which is probably the slowest way to transfer anything - it works though, using a null-modem cable at about 1mb/min.

If you want to share files (not just copy them) you should really setup a small network, all you'd need is 2 network cards and a crossover ethernet cable. Grand total of about £30.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 18:59
Or .. *quickly looks in his special reserve magazine* .. you can now get USB networking cables. £30 nugs gets you a direct linking cable - just plug it from USB to USB and if you have USB 2.0 ports you get 480Mbps, which faster than linford christy and just needs plugging in. Weyhey!

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 19:53
You need to be careful with the USB thang...more often than not, you can only use the supplied software, 'cos Windows can't network via USB.

I failed to get Win ME and Win 2K talking via USB

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 19:58 Edited at: 13th Apr 2004 19:59
VanB's suggestion is cheapest/quickest/dirtiest
just make sure you make/buy a network Crossover and not a null or straight-thru (cat3/5) cable

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 11:27
on your xp machine goto start--->all programs--->accesories--->comunication--->networksetup

then find the right configuration then at the end it will ask you to make a floppy disk for windows 98 computers make one then install it on your 98 machine

this is on a xp pro machine not home edition so i dont know if it will work on home or not

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 11:52
options options .... so many options...

I used to use IPX connections via Win98 and WinXP
Although not technically supported, I used a belcen USB-USB
connecter thingy and then plug both USB cords into the belcon thingy. Then, follow the install instructions for Win98.
sorry, no instrunctions for WinxP. You can go to the Belcon website and download an XP intall disk and then have lots of fun making it work.

or

What I use now is a wireless router connection. The prices have dropped alot on these and they are much simpler to setup. My laptop is XP and my desktop is 98 and have no problems except for the XP firewall on occation.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 11:56
The ethernet cards seems to be the simpilest (and probably most hassle free) solution.

Although when I share files between 2 PC's that have no NIC in them... i just use my CDRW that i happened to of entitled "Transfer" (written in sharpie)

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: The Apprentice
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 17:54 Edited at: 14th Apr 2004 17:57
Quote: "Although when I share files between 2 PC's that have no NIC in them... i just use my CDRW that i happened to of entitled "Transfer" (written in sharpie)"

Yay for sneaker net!

Seriously, ethernet would be your best option. If you have any local computer fairs near you (UK users: http://www.britishcomputerfairs.com) then you can generally get a decent PCI ethernet card for around £5-£10 and cable fairly cheap too (price per meter depends on length, the more you buy the cheaper it is per meter). Networking via USB is none standard and USB 2.0 isn't as great as it appears, with USB everything is handled via software so it eats in to your processing power, plus if you plug any USB 1.0/1.1 device in to a USB 2.0 controller *all* devices connected to that controller will run at USB 1.0/1.1.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
u need a simple lpt cable only.

Ezerkilencszázhatvanba' / ördög szart a katlanba /aki először megszólal /azé lesz a katlan szar.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:30:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:30:05