Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / PC Spec Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 03:38 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 03:55
I was just wanting some opinions (spelling) on this. What would you consider to be the most important aspects of a PC (EG:RAM, Hard Drive space ETC...)for games making with DBPro.What I mean is what would your dream PC be if all you needed it for was high end 3D games production with DBPro?

BTW Which is a better processor Athlon or Pentium?

Thanks to anyone who posts.

BTW happy Easter

Takes one to know one
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 04:55
Every component of your computer contributes to speed.

A super fast component and a super slow component will always be detrimental to speed.

CPU / MOBO / RAM / VID CARD / HARDDRIVE

CPU

Athlons are cheaper at the moment but sometimes have unstable moments without the proper cooling.

Pentium 3 was a good CPU but becoming out dated yet very stable.
Pentium 4 varied results with Performance against even some Pentium 3 systems but a little more expensive.

MOBO

The FSB and general speed is rather important to the trasnfer of information via daughter cards. anything with a 200mhz bus is ample but in everycase the faster the better. any on board video or onboard features will never be as good as a dedicated card.

RAM

Your workspace playground. imagine the more ram you have the larger your desktop is and hence u can layout more pages to look at, at once.

Single channel ram and dual channel ram are your latest options and the faster the better is always helpfull. 2 sticks of 256 is not as good as one 512 stick so always try to get a large stick instead of smaller pieces.

VID CARD

The essence of the Avid GAmer. Vid CARDS have changed greatly over the Years to be of essence another CPU or as referred to as a GPU.
A good graphics card for gaming should have shader abilities in todays gaming and shader 2.0 is currently the latest incarnation of these amazing onboard effects.

HARD DRIVE

This can be detrimental to speed if you have an older drive. they are usually listed as rpm speeds and cache buffers. always try for a 7200 rpm 4 - 8meg cache drive if you want the best result for your performance. A ultra wide SCSI drive if you can afford it or ATA drive if your on a budget but want a little more performance than a standard 7200.

A lot of people suffer the megahertz myth,eg CPU speed dictates the computers power but thats not entirely true for all tasks. ITs the combination of all parts that dictates your machines performance.

If I had the Inclination to build a monster gaming machine, I would be looking at an alienware laptop or desktop after seeeing the performance of them in benchmarks.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 08:11
Thanks that answered all my Qs.

Quote: "If I had the Inclination to build a monster gaming machine, I would be looking at an alienware laptop or desktop after seeeing the performance of them in benchmarks"

Ya wish I could get one, but I don't have 3000 extra dollars.

Takes one to know one
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh im building my new computer with a AMD XP 2200+ gonna have 768 megs of ram a FX 5900 or 5200 or whatever it is. and a small but yet needed 20gig HD don't need one bigger maybe a 80gig but anything bigger then that i don't need heh.

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 19:36 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 19:40
I bought my hardware from a friend. You can see the specs below.

I (would) stay with AMD. They might get unstable because of improper cooling, but usually a good heatsink+fan is included.

My machine below is hand-build (by me) and costs around $700

Machine:
2500+ XP (512kb l2 cache | barton core) @ 2.2Ghz
1024mb PC3200 dane-elec memory @ fast timings
Asus A7N8eluxe 2.0 Motherboard
Hercules Fortissimo III soundcard
Mad View (ati radeon) 9800PRO 256mb videocard
Intel 10/100mbps PRO networkcard
420W SunFlower Quadruple Fan Quality PowerSupply
Maxtor HD with 8MB cache

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
dragon tail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 22:40
Quote: "Athlons are cheaper at the moment but sometimes have unstable moments without the proper cooling."

Quote: "They might get unstable because of improper cooling, but usually a good heatsink+fan is included."

Yep, i agree... if you buy a proper retail AMD proccesor you will get a good enough HSF (heatsink fan). My old PC was an old Athlon 1.2ghz (thunderbird), and i overclocked it to 1.4ghz using the stock HSF and it ran fairly stable.

For DarkBASIC, you dont really need a total ninja speed demon as it is only DirectX 7 (i think). anything above a pentium III/athlon 1.2ghz with 256MB RAM will do the trick.

For me, at the moment pentium 4 is the better chip cos it overclocks and scales much better than the AthlonXP. The new 64bit Athlon 64/FX is interesting, as it performs VERY well in 3D apps, but costs a lot, as well as the Pentium4 Extreme Edition, which costs £500+. Oh yeh, if i had loads of money to spend on a total l33t PC for games production, etc it would boil down to:

pentium 4c 3.4ghz @ 4ghz
Mach II phasechange cooling system
1GB DDR PC4000 RAM
2x 160GB 7200RPM maxtor, RAID 0
DFI lanparty 875B p4 motherboard
256MB Radeon 9800XT
etc etc

but my current PC is fine for the moment anyway.....

Current Rig:
P4 2.4GHz | 512MB DDR333 RAM | 80GB BarracudaIV | Geforce4 Ti4600 128MB | XP pro SP1
please help the newb
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 04:32
cpu, ram, video card would be the main thing. HDD space is more a personal preference I think. I'm fine running 2x 40gb WD.

I prefer Athlon myself. Pentium 4 is just fine. Again, the type of cpu is a preference I think at this point in time. Though if you go 64-bit, Athlons are currently doing very well when compared with others.

My specs:
Gigabyte mobo, dual Athlon MP
1.6GHz, 2.13GHz
1.5gb ddr 2100
NVidia FX5900 XT (well, when I get around to making it work)
Integrated Intel lan 10/100
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

"eureka" - Archimedes
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 05:04
you would be surprised how a slow hard drive can impair peformance.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 09:02
Thanks for all the replys

Takes one to know one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 04:32:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 04:32:31