Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I get a shadow to cast under my car? Sorry for such a simple question, but I am still waiting for my DBPro kit, so I don't have anyone else to turn to but the good people of this forum.

cypher
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 12:11
The most common ways are:

1) Create a plane object that sits at your character's feet and texture it with a shadow texture. This can be tricky because black is used for transparency which means your shadow will actually be light grey. The "blob" method doesn't look particularly great but it does the job and doesn't take up a lot of resources.

2) The other method is to take a copy of your model (preferably an extreme low polygon version) and squash it 100% on the y-axiz using the SCALE OBJECT command. Then color it black and you've got a perfectly shaped shadow that can also be animated to mirror the casting object. This looks better than the blob method but still isn't really accurate plus it takes up more memory and polygons.

That's about all that's available to the DB user, hope this helps.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 14:07
You can also create a sphere and make it project a ray like the sun. Check out the www.darkbasic.net tutorials. One is 'Shadowing'

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, that was fast response. This is great!

tx fellow coders
cypher

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
what about dbpro, are there commands in dbpro for shadows or at least different ways to go about them?

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 03:55
There actually is a dbpro method to create real shadows, unfortunaetly ive never used it and I heard it runs slow on 3D acceleraters less than GeForce 3 (which I have, yey me!)

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:58:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:58:24