Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How far does (C) go?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 00:17
Obviously (C) exists to protect the original work/ideas of the author, but where does it end?

For example can the author of Kazaa, WinMX ect copy right thier programs even though technically they're ilegal? Or can a criminal 'copyright' the story of his/her deeds?

There has to be some sort of end! Does anyone have any examples?

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 00:25
I'd imagine the author of Kazaa can copyright his software, irrespective of whether its illegal or not. A criminal can't copyright his story (as in the actions etc he did). Anyone can write about them, but he can copyright his own written version of it (although he can't profit from it).

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 00:28
he can profit from it, but he probably wont!

N30F15H
Co-CEO of Pulse Productions
www.pulseproductions.tk
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 00:47
Well in the UK it is illegal for criminals to profit from their crimes. So criminals cannot write and sell books based on their crimes.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 00:51
wow.
well, I have no clue who would be dumb enough to try to copywrite an illegal business

Once I dreamt that I fell into a lake full of the undead and demons. I screamed and hollored as my kitten jumped into it with me. None of my friends helped me.

I don't trust them anymore.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 01:47
(c) protects your work until someone actually infringes on it and you want to take legal action - then the work has to have been registered with the (c)-office-department-official-thingy, in US anyway.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 03:24
copyright usually also last 50 years after you die.

trippy copyright facts.

cocktails cannot be copyrighted yet alcohol labels are.

samples of music are copyright but recreating the whole song from scratch is not copyright:hence cover bands.

I wonder what laws are bound with patents in regards to algorythyms.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 11:59
I don't think Kazaa or WinMX is illegal... Hence why they haven't been shut down, Because they can be used to download Songs mp3's documents, movies, software that the user has made and this is perfectly legal.. Though the main use for Kazaa, WinMx etc. Is for real songs created by bands and artists in the music industry and thats illegal, Kazaa the program isnt.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 16:29
Hmmm, indi, not sure about that cover band one. I think they pay lots of royaltes to the original band.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
You're right Phreeky Mikey, none of KaZaA, WinMX, eMule, Shareaza etc etc. is illegal cuz the software can be used in a legal way and the user is responsible for what he does with the software. So if you download songs with KaZaA only you are guilty...

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.cbj.net
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 15:31
Kazaa is a Peer2Peer Connection service, sort of like Bit Torrent or more aptly IRC.
The software itself is just a big form of Networking Program, not illegal even slightly; software hosted via this service is done from peoples personal hard disks and not the companies that created the service (infact nothing more than network indexing and the latest builds are on these companies websites).
It clearly states in Kazaa's EULA about using it for illegal practises, unfortunately a few hundred bad eggs ruin a perfectly legimate service for everyone.

The legalities of Source Code are identical to that of a novel. So when you look at code being stolen it has to be in context of plagerism.
Once source is compiled it is technically illegal to then disassemble (learn that word as it is IMPOSSIBLE to decompile code!), which means that technically people shouldn't even be able to steal your code once it is built.

That said the smarts required to understand a complex compiled program such as a Windows 32 EXE in it's entirity is not an easy task even for the most seasoned of ASM developers.

as for the title heading, from what i've heard (C) bends to suit every platform; with a rep like that it's gotta go all the way on the first date

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:24:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:24:39