Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie here!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 16:27
I need help in knowing what kinda a game I should shoot for being a newbie, ive read a little over half the monster hunt tutorial. should I try a pac-man clone?

Make games play games, hey its a living!
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 16:32
Try something like Pong - seems to be a popular "first game" for most people.

dragon tail
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 16:45
before that, you could try: http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index
The binary moon tutorials are very good, and you learn some pretty cool stuff...

--------------------| Current Rig |--------------------
P4 2.4GHz | 512MB DDR333 RAM | 80GB BarracudaIV | Geforce4 Ti4600 128MB | XP pro SP1 and 98SE dual boot
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 03:15
A good way to get started, after learning most of the commands via the manual and help files, is to make a retro game which is not too in depth yet still utilizes what you have learned. About every month or so make another small game using what you have learned, and before you know it you will be a fairly good user at Dark Basic! Also, remember that the first few games are more of a learning experience rather than something you would want to go commercial. When you finish, post it for free and get feedback, take any comments and see if you can get rid of your flaws and strengthen your strengths. Good luck!

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

Battosaibry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 05:22
Thanx for the advice Vash I think ill try that. please reply if you know what the best retro game to copy are.

and thanx alot!

Make games play games, hey its a living!
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 10:13
Try something easy like space invaders or, as has been said before, pong. These kinds of games are not that hard to make and in fact are quite easy to build up into better and better games the more detail you put into them. I did space invaders and got too far ahead of myself so I never finished it, but maybe you wont make the same mistake I did.

-Vash the Stampede

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 08:37 Edited at: 15th Apr 2004 08:38
*sorry to steal the forum*
but
Hey nice new sig vash

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 09:35 Edited at: 15th Apr 2004 09:36
Haha that sig is all thanks to Megaton

And Battosaibry, I forgot to mention that if you need some help with whatever game you decide, I can help you out. Just ask, I can do most everything you need. You can use my MSN to contact me, or my AIM, or even email.

-Vash the Stampede

EDIT: Actually, if anyone needs help just ask, Ill see what I can do

XIVdevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 05:30
I advise that you read the book that comes with dark basic (If you bought it new boxed of course) It may be boring but its the bible of all DBC coders, if you ever get stuck, read it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 05:57:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 05:57:31