Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello im back! and with more questions! This time on Terrain and Vehicals

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 21:46
Hello Every one! After a long hiatus of taking a break from programing so io can work on a model in my next game, then spring break, then texturing, im finaly back! I finished the fighter game i have been working on, it was mostly a learning project. Now i am going to make a much more serious game, one that utilizes all the tecniques i learned.

My next game will be a tank fighting game, i want it to be alot like the tank fighting in battle feild 1942 (w/o infantry, aircraft are a possiblility though) or battletanks for the N64. I know how to do most stuff but i am missing a key componet, on that was not covered in my all spaceship game, that is terrain following. What i mean by that is having the vehicals roll over hills-bumbs-ditches, etec and have it move appropriatly, not just stay the same altitude. Does anyone have a tecnique/code they use to solve this problem that they would be willing to share with me? I dont want anything too advanced just a realy basic system.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 22:41
1. Use Nuclear Glory's Collision DLL. It's a cheap and easy solution. I used it for a hover car racing game and it worked like a charm.

2. Use Wolf's Tokamak interface to the Tokamak Physics library. It's free, but a lot more complex. The perk to investing the time in learning Tokamak is that it is a very capable solution to many problems you will encounter later.
--
TAZ

muscles
Years of Service
User Offline
there's a simpler solution using a built-in command. since your last game was in space, i'll assume you're not overly familiar with matrices. basically, to follow the terrain on a matrix, use the "get ground height" command. it's simple. syntactically:
y# = get ground height(matrix number, x position, z position)

essentially, you just position your tank at the new y value.
the only problem with this is that it only repositions the center of the tank; that is, it doesn't point uphill or downhill, it just "floats" up and down. to alleviate this, you have to find the slope of two points on the front and rear of your tank and angle the thing accordingly. check out the binary moon tutorials for more detail on this
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 01:19
Over all, it is a clunky solution. Been there, done that. That's why I suggested the two collision libraries.
--
TAZ

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 02:47
Quote: "Over all, it is a clunky solution"

i think Binary moon used it very well in "limit rush" ...but it is more complicated to work out then Nuclear glory...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
DBasic Khan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 21:22
Thanks all,
-muscles ive already got that far!
could u guys post how to get to those examples?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 05:36:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 05:36:56