Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Chase HQ

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 10:44 Edited at: 14th Apr 2004 10:44
I decided to put a little playable teaser of the game online. Go to my Dark Basic page to download. I still have a couple of things i want to recode like the collision, fix the smoke effect and add an enemy car wich you can bump of the road!!! All media is included. The car wich i made myself i free to use in your projects, just mention my name or something.

http://www.dennuz666.com/index.php?page=darkbasic

The project is far from finished but it's i waste not to show it's progress i think. Let me know!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 11:21
Looks interesting - if you know C, you'll get a much better framerate with IanM's C Interface...

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 00:16
I can't program any C. But i have a sync rate of 30. I'll have to set it to 60 but i didn't want to set most of my variables again. Finally it will be 60 though.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool car physics
Looks really great!

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.cbj.net
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 08:13
very nice feel to the car control! I hope you turn this into a complete game, racing games are always fun, especially when the control feels right- and your's is definately on the right track (pun intended)

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 16:31
Very very nice car physics, although there is one major handling issue I think you should look at. Try going round a corner, then skidding (let go of forward), then hit forward and right and the car drifts off to the right, but the model carries on pointing left. It doesn't really feel right.

Trying is the first step towards faliure.
Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
klonoa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 17:14
Good work.

the car physics is very cool!
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 19:26
Yup. I know there is this bug. But there is more Like going with 240 through the bend without any skidding
Funny thing is the car physics are my own 'what i think is physics'. I posted the code in the codebase and the codesnippets board.

I'm designing the GUI for car selection right now (needed a break from the main-engine) will post some screenies soon. And probably after that i will rewrite the controlls for the car.

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 22:55 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 22:56
First screen of the design. Tried a little designing today. This is the 'car selection' screen. I 'lend' a picture found on a manga site. So the drawing is not definite. I will draw all characters myself as soon as i have a scanner. Click on the pic for a larger example.

I already started programming on this but want to recode. Couple of things didn't work out i.e. locked 3d objects in combination with reflection shading.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 23:06
Looking forward to seeing this one - fond memories of the original and this is looking smashing - well done

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 21:39 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2004 22:12
Time for a little update. I did some concept art for the game charachters (wich i can't show yet) and decided the game will be more in the future and wanted to stay on the 'manga'-style. I made a concept for a car:

Check http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=30293&b=3 for more pics.

Thanx to Wbarret26 it will be transformed to 3D by him. I will start recoding the carphysics next. I want to add jumping/gravity and better skidding.

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 12:36
Still on it! Nothing new to show but i want to keep this post up to date.

Walaber mentioned it before! I have to finish te game to do the car model justice. I'm far from finished but think on the right track. Things done since the last version:

- Car selection screen finished (It an arcade game so not much options will be available, choose car and skin/character and go!
- Completely rewrote the car control code including tilting on x-object
- Completely rewrote the careditor/loader for building and reading the car data (only for development)
- Added rearview mirror
- Added Powerups
- Added ingame music (you can use your own mp3 files), so i don't have 'soundtrack' legal issues

Next is going to be enemy collision and AI and i'm going on with the little 'touches/special fx'.

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 12:20
And again... for the third time i rewrote the car editor for the game. Now i have full control over every object, mouse orientated bla bla. The best thing is i will release it with the game so you all can add you own cars.

But before it's that far, i'll need to put a demo together. I think i'll do a 90 second demo so you can race on the track.

I had a little problem with framerates but after a while i discovered my world object (including some collision objects) was about 150000 polys

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 12:31
The car editor is a very cool idea - looks good!

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 19:52
This is a great start. It plays well, and the arcade style handling is infinately preferable imho to the boring genuine physics of many serious racers. If you can resurect the ChaseHQ brand and still keep the arcde feel, that'll be fantastic.

Funny actually cos I was considering remaking Out-Run. They were similar arcde style classics of the time with similar handling. Maybe I can learn from your handling style

Only negative point is that I notice there should be a relfection on the car? If its there its hardly noticable on my machine, which uses a FX5200 which can usually display such things.

A good early demo though, very cool

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:42
Long time since my last post. But i'm still on the project. I was busey creating a playable version of the program as far as i am now but... i lost everything before and almost did lose it again! My brand new (3 months) harddisk gave up on me I did a little backup of my code to show it at work, and that was my luck. Maybe next week then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 15:08:03
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 15:08:03