Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / IE is a hunk of crap!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 23:53
I was shocked last night to find my IE had been storing cache from 2-3 years ago (nearly 1 gig worth), mostly old videos and pictures from sites that don't even exist anymore

I don't know why they're still there, I even had my maximum cache setting at 50MB!!

long story short, I had to delete the 11,505 files manually anyone else run into this problem?
http://the-junkyard.net/nazca/upload/pics/avatar.jpg[/img]
''Mmmm.. Tastes like Nazca!''
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 00:31
No, I don't use IE

Ogres have layers.
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 01:08
What do u use empty? I found Mozila really good, but DB forum is not friendly ( like the code snipet button wont work with another browser besides IE ). I've came here with Mozila, Netscape 7.0 and another one I forgot the name :S for Linux...

Well, a pity Netscape is doing so bad. If they keep like this soon we wont be able to see their own homepage. It beat IE years ago... I wonder what happenned between

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
From IE5.5
Tools+InternetOptions dropdown
On the center of the panel ther is a section called
Temporaty Internet Files with a button "DELETE FILES"
If this doesn't work than you have a bad install.

The amount of disk space used setting does not apply to the user cache but to the subdirectory of Local Settings called Temportaty Internet Files. M$IE5.5 acts schizophrenic because each user has his own cache even though there is usually only one user.

And yes it is a pity about Netscape, 4.7 still has the best email client and a pretty good HTML generator (Composer).
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
nazca
How did your remove the files manually?
I didn't know that you could,
I've always used software.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 01:40
Go into Windows folder + Temporary internet files ...... then press Ctrl + A ... then Ctrl + D

You can do the same for the Temp folder if ya like... this will free up loads of space from previous installs and stuff.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 02:22
>What do u use empty? I found Mozila really good, but DB forum is not friendly ( like the code snipet button wont work with another browser besides IE ).

I mainly use Mozilla (or Phoenix) and sometimes Opera.
As for this forum with non MS-browsers, well, that's really the only reason I don't post here more often. Probably it's a bit old-fashioned, but I don't like a website to tell me what browser to use. I mean there's W3 standards and stuff...
Maybe Rich will fix this.

Ogres have layers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 03:24
Nazca?
Odd i thought most people have the automatic maintainance setup - everyone 2weeks it deletes all cached files, internet and temporary. Cleans up all the useless files you don't use. Cleans up Restore points (anyone using WinME+). Runs the Scandisc and such.

I know that the microsoft ones are useless, and most people use others instead - but still its automatically setup unless you turn it off.
Kinda stupid to do so, because a fragmented hard disk full of useless files is good to no one and just sucks away speed.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 04:33
I know about the delete files button, it doesn't delete all the files.. to delete them manually:

1) Open Windows Explorer
2) Open "Windows" Folder
3) scroll down to the folder called "Temporary Internet Files"
4) don't open the folder, instead, click the + sign beside it
5) when you click the + sign, a folder should appear called "Content.IE5" (or something like that)
6) Click on the arrow beside "Content.IE5"
7) now, there should be folders with random like names(eg: "XVCGDBSH"). Open them one by one, if your IE sucks, like mine, there will be files in these folders, then just delete the files

I hope that's what you wanted

Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 04:36
and RV: for some reason, even when I used tools like that, it said my temp files only took up <1MB, that's why I was shocked to find the real amount when I viewed the properties of temp. internet folder.

I need to reformat me thinks.. but all is fixed for now

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 00:21
Certainly sounds odd... though I easily overrun the cache all the time. Unless i'm playing online games i can easily gain almost 2gbyte of temporary files, which if i use the remote access router then it doesn't detect as IE used them.

I have a habit of full system cleanouts every month thou and loading from a backup - keeps the system in tip top shape cause its quicker to defrag and decrypt data on a clean system to optimise it rather than full.
Last time i did a defrag on my fully laden systems it took almost 8hours

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:32:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:32:52