Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why doesnt all the objects in the scenery appear (hwo come you have to walk towards them to see them!) DBC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a huge problem. In my scenery, I have placed some objects. They are visible up-close. But as I walk away, the backdrop covers it up and the further I walk away, the more it covers. Ive tried setting the camera range to ridiculous numbers and STILL it does it. Do you think its because of the backdrop color command?
HELP ME PLEASE ASAP SO I CAN CONTINUE WORK WITH MY GAME!!!!
Cheers,
Nick.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 18:15
Could it be something to do with fog or lighting?

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
No - because I don't have fog or lighting.
Im really really stuck!
Someone please help!!!!
Cheers,
Nick.

Who dares; wins.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 19:03
Try this

backdrop on
camera range 3000
fog on
fog distance 3000

and make sure your camera doesnt move too fast

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all the same but it STILL doesn't sort my problem. O h what shall I do! I'm really stuck!
Please help me!
Cheers,
Nick.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 19:20
Ok I know you’re talking about the backdrop, but are you using a sky sphere/box?

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
No. Im using the COLOR BACKDROP command. Why? would it be better if I used a skysphere/box and I know I sound a bit n00bish but how would you make a skysphere/box. I tried before but it was too complex (but then again I tried it when I had darkBASIC for only a month! LoL).
If you know how please tell me and if it will solve my problem that would be great!
Cheers,
Nick.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 22:18
The reason I asked was I thought your objects might be disappearing through a sky sphere.
Whether you use skyspheres/boxes or the backdrop depends on what you are doing, and what look you're after. They are easy to make. You could create one in a modelling programme or in db. For db just make your object with negative values (make object sphere 1,-1000 for example) so you can view it from the inside, centralise it around your world, and texture it.

Without Code or a screenshot I’m stuck

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
soz the image is too big to show. I email it to you.
NOTE: Before opening the attachment, I suggest you scan the files just to be safe. You never know who's fiddling what...

Who dares; wins.
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
O yeah. Once you've seen the good image delete it so i can send you the bad image!!!(the problem)

Who dares; wins.
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Custard, your inbox is full so make room.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 23:07
for future reference you should convert your images to png or jpg before you send or upload them.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. NOW DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM?

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 23:39
It’s hard to tell but it looks like a camera range thing to me. Are you sure your ridiculous numbers are ridiculous enough?

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
No. Its set to 3000.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 00:29
3000 is the default range you can go much higher than that.
Just put a larger number in or set up some code to increase the camera range by pressing a key. Then you can see it move and hopefully you walls will appear.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont have a clue what you're on about. Please could you get me a code snippet of what you mean and please be an accurate well explained one!
Cheers,
NIck.

Who dares; wins.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 13:09
camview = 3000
do
if upkey()=1 then inc camview,10
if downkey()=1 then dec camview,10
camera range camview
loop

Or something like that.

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 13:15
camera range is what is shown via the camera frustrums.

A smaller camera range is always better than a larger one.

check out this small snippet.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 13:16
oops vash beat me to it.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 13:52 Edited at: 15th Apr 2004 13:58
Well, you said you already set the camera range but here goes…
3000 is the default range for db’s camera so if you can’t see your objects you need to increase it.
For example: Set camera range 1,10000
The camera range is now 10000

If you want you could put this code in your main loop (if I’ve duplicated any keys then you can easily change them) then use the W and S keys to increase or decrease the camera range. Hopefully you will see you objects appear as the range increases.
If you already have a - Set camera range - command in you loop then REM it out. Even better ensure you have NO - set camera range – commands in your programme.

You only need to set the camera once at the beginning of your programme, so once you’ve determined the desired distance you can erase my code and place one - set camera range - command at the start of your code.

Hopefully this will sort your problem.
*Gets down on knees and prays*

Edit:
Oops you guys have already replied. Sorry, I got waylaid while writing this post and didn’t check before posting it.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks 4 the help guyz...it solved my problem but now i got another one. The text keeps flashing and because of that camera range thing custard told me it has made some harsh reduction on frame rate...what could be wrong now?

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 14:46
Nothing anyone has told you should suddenly cause your text to flash so I don’t understand that. It’s only just started flashing, right?
It doesn’t look like there are many polys in your programme so I don’t understand the slowdown.

Do you have any high poly objects that are now visible?
Have you set the cam range too far? Although I’m not sure this would cause much of a slowdown if any.
Do you have any heavy collision going on?
Have you removed all foreign code?

If you could show some code that would be helpful.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
well i got some object collision, ive got these walls surrounding my matrix, i 've got a high poly jeep and a texture ground with color backdrop.
I think the reason why this is happening is because of that code you gave me. If I can't sort it, I'll get in touch with TGC or fastrakk software.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 16:41
You shouldn’t have any of my code or anyone else’s in your programme. If you have, then remove it. The only thing you should have is the camera range command at the start of your prog.

You’ll have to do some testing dude.
Print the fps to the screen – text 0,50,str$(screen fps()) – then remove the jeep from your prog and test it again. You could also try it with the collision off although I doubt it’s that considering you only have a few walls.

How many polys is the jeep?

Don’t contact TGC or fastTrak with his problem. It’s not a problem with the software so there’s no point. You’ll only be wasting your time and theirs.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope. Your idea still doesn't work and btw all coding is by me except the code for that idea you had except I deleted it because of the flashy text. The text doesn't flash anymore. I think it may of been the code. I think it's probably my matrix is too big. The size is 10000,10000,60,60. Too big? Well I'll try resizing it OR placing objects where the gaps show and arrange the levels in a special way so nothing looks like the gap.
Thanks for everyones help.
Cheers,
Nick.
PS. I will soon get you a little pressie. (A model that I built with anim8or) If you want to get anim8or, goto http://www.anim8or.com . Its really good! It's free and easy to use (I only just downloaded it today and already I began making something kool...?????? ?????)
I send a snapshot of it when I'm done and I'll give it to you if you want.

Who dares; wins.
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 23:19
From your screens it looks as though you’re using a matrix for a flat area. The best thing to do is replace it with a textured plane or box. You can then tile your texture over the plane with the command - Scale object texture – look it up in the help files. Much faster than matrices.

Lord Helmet
Years of Service
User Offline
if your more interested just making stuff to put into it, writing the story and designing the game, you might work with someone else. However if you do want to program than you gotta learn how each command works and why your code does what it does. Experimentation will help you a lot, especialy if you get creative about your experiments. Try to predict what the code someone else shows you will do in your program first than run it.
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I will. thx for the help guyz!
Cheers,
Nick.

Who dares; wins.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 05:32:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 05:32:23