Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Game Idea!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 10:07
I am a 36 yr old business owner that has a idea for a video game.

questions

1. Is this software capable of creating games exactly like online socom 1 socom 2 etc .?

2. Or do you recommend some other software?

3. Or do you have to purchase software such as Granny for $70,000?

4. Is there anyone interested in helping me take my idea from drawing board to market?

Thanx for any advice and or wisdom from all ages......

O
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 11:51
I believe you will have to tell us your idea first...
Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 12:44
Yes, that would be nice

Monty
Monty87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 12:45
or is it just a sotcom clone/homage?
Actually, what is sotcom? Seen an mag ad for it, but never seen it running or played it.

Monty
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 12:56
Im pretty sure that if you worked hard enough, you could make a socom-like game, but as far as multiplayer capability and the detail used in SOCOM and SOCOM2, you would probably be better off using some fancy program. DarkBASIC is more of a recreational game making program than anything, but of course no one has truly reached its boundaries yet. If you decide to make a socom game, which I do beleive is possible, you would probably have to invest a lot of money in servers and net stuff like that so that you can make it online for many people.

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 14:24
I would recommend downloading some of the showcase stuff and checking it out for yourself. There's a lot of talented people around here, but like Vash says there's plenty more that could be done, given time and resources.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
<Font size="0">AMD 3000+ Barton, 512K Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.</FONT>
alblilittlest 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 05:17
i would love to help in any project, i can moduel good. i use lightwave to moudel but there is better out there. but in my opion with dark basic you get what you put in. games can go anywhere from pong to halo if you work.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 06:30 Edited at: 17th Apr 2004 06:46
First off, don't even thing about Dark Basic Classic, Dark Basic Pro would be your only choice of the DBs for a project like that. Honestly, I'd look long and hard at Garage Games' Torque engine first. It was used to make Tribes which sounds to be more up your alley. I have my preferences for DBP due to the lack of license fees and royalties.
--
TAZ

Anyway, using either language to make that kind of shooter is a VERY non-trivial task. You need to create a full design document to even have a chance. Ideas are a dime a dozen, design docs are work fixed in a copyrightable format. Of course, a full design doc is your ideas, research, detailed instructions, concept art, and a couple hundred more pages of stuff. (Gee, can you tell that I'm taking a game design class?)

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 11:45
I shall add whatever knowledge I can conjure up to add to zircher's wise words.

As mentioned above, look at the demos, see what people have done. And for something on a professional level don't use Classic, go Pro, it just makes life easier, and prettier. The only reason to use DBC is so that even people with crummy computers could play it.

If you don't have any serious computer experience, you should hire a tech lead. This guy will tell what is possible and what is not, and how long it will take to accomplish certain things, etc. etc.

You will also need many artists, a writer, some audio engineers (including composers), and some others I can't remember right now.

There's also the thought on how to distribute it. Should you find a publisher? You will need to convince them that your game is good. Should you distribute it yourself through a web site? Chances are your game won't be very popular.

I guess the bottom line is:know what you're getting into. And try posting in the Team Requests Board for more success. I'd hate to see such an ambitious mind be flamed away.

Best of luck,
The Bear

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 05:47:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 05:47:30