Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Apollo Public Beta Test is Open

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 17:49
Hi all,

If you would like to test out the new build of Apollo then please feel free. I'm after feedback and usability reports more than anything.

Go to this URL for details: http://www.deepstorage.net

Please note that if you CANNOT get to the site above then it's because I've temporarily disabled access. But, at this moment in time, it works.

I would appreciate people talking to me on MSN while they test the forum, just add me.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 18:38
Hope you've edited the interesting words you originally had

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 20:02
probably a routing problem knowing my cable modem; but i can't access it.
will try again later once i free up bandwidth.

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 20:57
Indeed - its refusing me too...

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 21:15
I can access, and from what I see its some good work . And what the hell is "Blog this message"?

Trying is the first step towards faliure.
Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 21:40
It didn't accept me, 'cos I didn't check the IP address from last time - and they're different.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 23:02 Edited at: 15th Apr 2004 23:03
I checked out the "Blog" Rich. I'm guessing it's not quite there yet, this is what I got in the URL:

http://www.thegamecreators.dev/%%URL%%

A couple more...

I get an edit icon even if the thread has expired. It doesn't let me edit, but maybe the icon shouldn't appear.

The page "jumps" when in edit mode, and you click the attachments tab (yes, the attachments tab! ). It's because the page reduces in size, but it's a bit confusing. Message and source code areas are roughly the same size, maybe a blank box would be better than jumping? Dunno, it's one of those personal preference things again.

You can add source when editing a post, but it doesn't appear after updating. The source code also doesn't get edited if you create it with the new post, then edit it afterwards.

The edit button only appears on the message tab. If you go to source code or attachment tab, there is no edit button, you have to go back to first tab. his threw me at first, and I hit Refresh, just above and to the right.

Filtered on Message Contains: Pants and got nothing
Filtered on Message contains: go, which was in 3 messages, and got everything in the thread.

That should keep you busy (sorry!). All in all, looking impressive.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
<Font size="0">AMD 3000+ Barton, 512K Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.</FONT>
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 00:06
I can't seem to scroll down on the code windows.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 01:42
The code snippets IMHO should be non-visable when you first enter a thread.

Also, for the code snippet box link thing....It should change the + to a - if its open

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm, pretty cool.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 04:41
BatVink - Blog URL fixed. I had to modify the view page so it could handle displaying a single post from a thread (which it now can).

"I get an edit icon even if the thread has expired. It doesn't let me edit, but maybe the icon shouldn't appear."

Good call - fixed.

"The page "jumps" when in edit mode, and you click the attachments tab (yes, the attachments tab! ). It's because the page reduces in "

It will jump in any mode (post, reply, edit, etc) because the height of the attachments tab doesn't match that of the post/source tabs - when it does, it won't jump (as much).

"You can add source when editing a post, but it doesn't appear after updating. The source code also doesn't get edited if you create it with the new post, then edit it afterwards."

Both fixed.

"The edit button only appears on the message tab. If you go to source code or attachment tab, there is no edit button, you have to go back to first tab. his threw me at first, and I hit Refresh, just above and to the right."

Yeah, fixed

"Filtered on Message Contains: Pants and got nothing"

Depending on the thread, probably correct

"Filtered on Message contains: go, which was in 3 messages, and got everything in the thread."

Filter limited to 3 characters or more, so it didn't really apply. Need to indicate this somehow, or possibly drop the character limit - not sure which.

"That should keep you busy (sorry!)"

All fixed - more please

Cheers,

Rich

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 05:17
You took out the post reply form at the bottom of the thread!!!

That was one of the things I liked best about this forum, that you didnt have to push a button to post a message.

Oh well...

It looks great otherwise

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 07:48
they what?!?!?!?!?!?!
Rich, you have to put it back, that's what makes these forums great, original, etc. That, and the way you have us know what we didn't read
but, you need to put it back
but, I'm probbly being harsh, these forums are great

Once I dreamt that I fell into a lake full of the undead and demons. I screamed and hollered as my kitten jumped into it with me. None of my friends helped me.

I don't trust them anymore.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 10:46
Quote: "You took out the post reply form at the bottom of the thread!!! "

It's still there, but only when you sign in. I think this works like it always has.

You probably joined after the dev snapshot was taken, so your profile won't be on there. There's a test sign-in in the debug box at the top, you could use that to see it working.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
AMD 3000+ Barton, 512K Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 12:19
Rich - Can you scoll down on the source code windows now? I can't see cos you're switched off at the mo.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 14:18
Is it just me or has it been taken down? I keep getting a "Request Timed out" message.

Can I see a demo now? [edit]Disregard, I saw the demo.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 14:37
It's back-up again now but on a NEW IP address - so you have to update your hosts file again (see the deepstorage.net site to get it).

The Post Form appears ONLY IF you are logged in - just like this version of Apollo does. I would never remove it from these pages, I *hate with a vengence* forums that have to open the bloody post box in a new window. It's SO pointless.

Guys - try clicking on the little dotted area on the right hand of a message bar now

Cheers,

Rich

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 15:41
Does the codebox work for anyone else using Mozilla?

@Rich:
I just clicked on "my posts" and:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: apollogetcurrentpage() in user.php on line 7

In another section, one of the scripts exceeded the max. execution time.

great job!

Can I see a demo now? [edit]Disregard, I saw the demo.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 16:21
I got the same thing on "My Posts"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 16:48
Just tried it now. Looking very swish

A few comments:

- Top looks a bit cluttered. Move the filter threads panel to the bottom of the page, adding a button at the top which links to a bookmark at the bottom?

- Add a "mark as read" button to the top along with refresh, previous etc. instead of the link in the filter threads panel?

- JS error when I come back to the forum after going to search - Line 72 object required.

Other than that, looking splendiferous

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 17:41 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 18:11
Hehehehe, it's got all our old sigs and silly old messages.

From looking at the posts where people have just spammed with similies, it looks as though some aren't working. We can also swear like there's no tommorrow.

Other then that though it's like going back in time to some old version of our forum that's had a huge makeover but is now dead except for the bunch of us that have gone back and we're all running around making a mockery of the place and soiling whatever sacred messages and meaning it once had. Crazy!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 18:40
"Does the codebox work for anyone else using Mozilla?"

Works fine with Mozilla Firefox (the browser I develop with).

"Call to undefined function: apollogetcurrentpage() in user.php on line 7"

Fixed.

"In another section, one of the scripts exceeded the max. execution time."

Nah, that's just my PC. Remember I might be running Photoshop, Winamp, Zend Studio and god knows what else at the time you test it - which will cause things like this.

"Top looks a bit cluttered. Move the filter threads panel to the bottom of the page, adding a button at the top which links to a bookmark at the bottom?"

Maybe, except it's the most useful feature on the page. Suggestions on how else to represent it welcome.

"Add a "mark as read" button to the top along with refresh, previous etc"

It gets very long - try this, go into general talk and go back say 20 pages - the length of that area expands to handle the paging boxes, yet another button might make it too wide. But we'll see, there are always ways.

"JS error when I come back to the forum after going to search"

Fixed.

Swear filter currently disabled and yeah some smilies are not showing, will investigate.

Cheers,

Rich

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 23:22
Oh thanks goodness... I tried to log in after having a look but the site stopped working. Its not working now either... will test it properly when it does

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 15:07
Quote: "It will jump in any mode (post, reply, edit, etc) because the height of the attachments tab doesn't match that of the post/source tabs - when it does, it won't jump (as much)."

If you could set a minimum height for all the tabs would that help?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 05:00
Rob - you cannot set a height on a div tag style that works on all browsers. It will work fine once the attachment fields are in there.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 01:30
Hi Rich,

I keep getting an error when I attempt to do most activities (eg: filtering posts, posting a new thread):

Quote: "
Warning: array_search(): Wrong datatype for second argument in D:\usr\home\pairdoor\public_html2\modules\apollo\classincludes\board.php on line 455

Warning: array_search(): Wrong datatype for second argument in D:\usr\home\pairdoor\public_html2\modules\apollo\classincludes\board.php on line 457
Bugger"

Also, I'm being very thick, but I can't see the place to enter the thread title on the "New Thread" box - only the entry box for the message text. I clicked post but got a "You must enter a subject" box, but nowhere to enter the subject.

I like the collapsable threads - but can you set it so that when you collapse a thread, the post author is shown on the blue bar somewhere?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 15:25
All of those array errors are gone - I was implementing a new board wide variable that some buttons/links/etc didn't carry, now fixed.

The collapsable threads was just a test really to see if it worked - and I think it's quite useful (close threads with massive screen shots in, etc) so I'll keep it in and swap the close icon.

That thread subject thing is fixed

Cheers,

Rich

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 17:21
Quote: "That thread subject thing is fixed"

- although it would certainly have prevented people from spamming the forum

Over 140 new commands
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 22:39
Hey, on the new board, will stickies not expire after a certain time. The idea of expiring is that you can't bring up ancient threads from the 20th page. If a post is sticky, it's not going to be on the 20th page.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 18:55
it's also you can't bring up old stupid stuff

You forgot to read your fortune cookie. It says you're sh!t out of luck.
Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:38:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:38:10