Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Moving on to Linux

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 19:02
After reading many PC magazines I read about many things microsoft are proposing and the security issues and many other things I decided to move to Linux

But I have many problems. At the moment I have only 1 pc so should I buy a P3 and upgrade a coulpe components and put windows on that one or put linux on (if I buy one) the P3. Or should I install the Linux which can run alongside windows?

Also I would like to know if WINE supports wings 3d and DBPro or are there diffirent ways to run them on Linux? Also does anyone know a good support/information webpage for people new to Linux?

Just looking for some advise from Linux users

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 20:01
you can run linux side by side with windows, in a separate parition. I had 98, win2k, and Mandrake Linux all on one machine. You may wanna get a hold of partition majic - you'll need it.

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 20:54
Actually QTPartED can do most of the functions of Partition Magic perfectly well, and is included on the MEPIS install LiveCD (You can run it as a full distribution before you even install it, ala Knoppix). Though if you want to give MEPIS a try you may want to wait for the latest version to leave beta (next month).
I think a few people have had some vague success running DB under WineX, but I wouldn't really recommend it, much better to develop things natively. Eg. Use the Crystal Space engine in C++, or get PureBasic if you insist on using BASIC.
Wings3D doesn't need to run under WINE since it's available natively for Linux (this is infact the primary development platform for it I believe).

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 02:32
Quote: "I think a few people have had some vague success running DB under WineX"

DBC games ran perfectly in Mandrake 9 with the original Wine. Then I updated wine and mandrake and now I can't get them to work again. I don't remember what is was that I did the first time to get them to work. DBPro games look like they'll run soon. After 5 minutes I got one of the demos to work. Then it crashed after a few frames. I need to spend some more time with it. If you can't get Wings to work, then Anim8or works Flawlessly in wine.

Can I see a demo now? [edit]Disregard, I saw the demo.
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 08:49
Thanks people, now I decided that I should keep my windows on one pc and put linux on another. Now I have to go shopping

Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 15:43
try one of those cd bootable linux distributions... they're nice for a linux first timer

Currently coding: MAG
Recent coding: Video Capture Plug-in
I used to be Proteus 1935

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:18:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:18:28