Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Flaming Torch Simulator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 21:13
In case anyone is interested, I just put some code for a flaming torch simulator into the Code Snippets forum. I was thinking about it for games, and decided I should try and write my own 2D particle effects (for pasting to plain billboards in worlds) rather than having to buy a third party proggy.

It's not super realistic, but its not bad for a couple of hours work. Hopefully some of you might find the code useful. Any suggestions on something else to try would be good as well. I'm thinking along the lines of 2D effects, that you can paste to billboards as animaions in a 3D world.

Ideas?

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 13:47 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 14:23
Still looking for ideas for "billboard-able" particle effect ideas. Think about the things you want to paste onto objects as animating textures. Fire is done. I'm going to work on static shimmering water now, if I get some time between work and Bombardier.

Basically, think of animations you want to apply to billboards. I'm not doing particle effects in the sense of the db particle system - these will be 2D animations that will be exported frame by frame, that you can apply to billboards.

This is how the fire one looks:

This is how it looks attached to a 3D torch (wont be used in billboard particle system though)

For those that can't be arsed to compile and run the code in the code snippets forum. Here are two small AVIs:

2D Fire (Non looping)
http://www.kontact-kru.com/game/effects/flame3.avi

3D Torch
http://www.kontact-kru.com/game/effects/torch2.avi
Btw, the fire is behind the torch because of some problem with DB capturing images of sprites. I had to force sprites to be drawn first (before 3D) in order for it to work.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:28:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:28:39