Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DLink 624 SuperG Wireless Router

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 14:30 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 14:32
Has anyone used this router with the appropriate PCI cards ?

I'm wondering how near the maximum 108Mbps the throughput actually is. The reason being I'm thinking of replacing my router (and wireless router) with one, and if the sustained speed is pretty near the maximum then put in wireless cards for my computers (thus reducing a lot of the cabling).

I have also looked at gigabit routers, but they are a trifle too expensive.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 17:10 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 17:11
I've got one that I'm using with the WG511T PCmCIA* card (if you buy them both now you get an extra WG511T free in the UK) which is SuperG compatible. All I can tell you is that the router is fairly neat and nice to configure. Can't tell how near to 108Mbps it'll give you though, since I'm using my card under Linux and the MadWifi project (open source drivers for the Atheros chipset) currently doesn't have support for the SuperG extensions. When I'm near the router I get around 54mbps fine though (max without SuperG).

*Seriously. I can't say P C M C I A without the stupid CmC word filter coming in to play. Took a while for me to work out what my "bad language" was :/ .

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 17:55 Edited at: 16th Apr 2004 17:56
Thanks for that!

The problem with I have with buying a DLink at the moment is I dont know what revision version is currently being sold in the UK.
According to their site, only Revision B & C have the 108 upgrade (and not A), which means that if Revision A is being sold, then an upgrade could be a long wait.

Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 21:04
Well I purchased from eBuyer (UK) and they're advertising it as being 108mbps, so it's pretty safe to assume it's the correct version.

Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 21:09
Oops, sorry I didn't read you original post correctly, mine is infact a Netgear router. I was confused by the fact that it's an identical model number (624) and both are SuperG (So both are almost certainly based on the Atheros chipset).

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 21:36
Some people have had a bit of trouble with the Netgear one. I used to have a Netgear routine, and it would stop responding every few days.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 17:58:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 17:58:50