Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / interesting fact i learnt this morning. (followed after a few minor ones)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
medieval europe, catholics actually banned bathing as it was a form of pleasure (until now i just thought it was a case of not being bothered to bath). also, the people, even the most noblest ofpeople, only had one set of clothes, hence the big chests they have at the end of the beds, with iron straps and padlocks, cos if the clothes got robbed, they'd have to go around naked.

as we know, the women had no rights at all. but even the king's wives were as unimportant as any other woman, and unmarried queens were goverened by the male members of parliament.

meanwhile, in Arabia, it is mandatory to wash 5 times day, and not just hands and face, but the whole body, (just not as thoroughly i guess) and even the uhygenic people had to have a propper wash on a friday morning if not on any other day of the week. also, the arabs invented perfume, which wasnt discovered by the europeans until the crusades. they also had closets similar to what we have today, with more than one set of clothes.

the women, well put it this way, the prophet Mohammed's wife (this was before he started talking to God and islam was "created/restored" <--- which ever way you look at it) had her own business with men working for her. men and women were treated completely as equals, they would have even been allowed to play football without men laughing at them for it- if football had been invented.

here's the corny bit, the catholics thought themselves to be the purest of people in the world, so El Cid said "if the man is clean, doesn't smell, never lies or cheats his trade in the market, and has a toilet in his own house, he is a muslim and a barbarian, take him outside and crusify him immediately"

lol... barbarian...

next time, think before you say "dirty" or "smelly arab" i guess.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 21:35
Another interesting fact -

If you divide the actual legth of a river by the distance from the start to the finish (in a straight line) you get Pi.

With untouched rivers on flat land (like on safari plains) it is accurate to 5 or 6 decimal places.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 01:24
ugh, imagine banning bathing. If I couldn't get my monthly bath....

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
AMD 3000+ Barton, 512K Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 01:32 Edited at: 18th Apr 2004 01:33
Froogle: You reminded me of one!
"Barbarian" is a Roman term that we now take to means Primative/cruel but it came about from when the Roman Empire was invaded by Goths (IIRC) and the Romans called them "Barbarians". "Barbarian" actually means "bearded man".
The funny thing is the "barbarians" stopped the ruthless gladitory games out of pity and disgust and the perfect modern word for describing the games is "Barbaric".

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
yup, hence "barbe" being french for beard.

i'd love to have been a gladiator in roman times, i dont see gladiator games as barbaric, its a chance for men to show how manly they are. and ur probably thinking the bit about putting slaves in there to be eaten by lions is barbaric, but its only the same as capital punishment we had in to UK at the time.

KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
This post is indeed interesting.....I should go bathe right away......

[url=http://www.lsgaming.com[/url]
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 16:46
Don't forget they where the first ones that performed an eye oparation with succes and lots of other stuff, westerns owe them big time .

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 17:55
Quote: "i'd love to have been a gladiator in roman times, i dont see gladiator games as barbaric, its a chance for men to show how manly they are. and ur probably thinking the bit about putting slaves in there to be eaten by lions is barbaric, but its only the same as capital punishment we had in to UK at the time."

No offence Froogle but I'm the one doing a Classical Civilisations GCSE. They did some real disgusting obscene stuff, for instance they like reanacting "historical events" like the time Pasiphaë (mother of the minataur) made love to a bull. So what they would do is build a fake Cow and put a woman inside and then get a horney bull, who would "Do his thing" to the woman inside and this would tear apart her inards. Not a very nice way to die!

I'm not saying the romans didn't do some good stuff, I mean you only have to watch the Life of Brian to see they did, but you have to recognise that a load of the stuff they got their kicks from was sick.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 17:58 Edited at: 18th Apr 2004 18:03
lol poor woman... eurgh.

i herd about this rhino at westmidlands safari park that thought it was a zebra so went and made love to all the other zebras in the enclosure, the zebras got crushed by the rhino's weight.

edit: im not a woman, so that wouldnt happen to me neway. i reckon that should be the punishment for femenism, any women who think they're to good for mankind should have that torture.

if any women complain bout what i just sed then it prooves ur a femenist. if a woman agrees with what i sed then it means she has a brain. femenists do yourself a favour, stop being so arrogant.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:22:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:22:51