Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Some suggestions for newcomers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2002 08:43
Although nobody can tell you not to post I have listed few simple guidelines I recommend you follow:
1) If you are new to the forums it is best not to ask for a tons of media. Wait until you have released something, even if it’s something small.
2) Never get angry when people don’t help you. This makes you look bad.
3) Recognize that an artist spends many hours on his/her creations and they put a lot of themselves into it.
4) ALWAYS say please and thank you.
5) Start Small. Don’t try to make a huge game at first. You will fail
6) Remember that other people are most likely hard at work on there own projects.

If anybody else has any suggestions feel free to post em
Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2002 12:26
7) Read the damn help pages!!!!!!! (and search the forum 1st)
8) Don't ask loads of questions at once. Everyone will ignore you
9) Never request a team to start an epic Quake beating game if you have nothing to back it up. Have some decent design going (not just a ripped off RPG storyline) and some alpha code would be good. Or real money And don't start throwing around official titles (President?) or people will totally ignore you
10) Once you start getting the hang of it then help out newbies. Esp. since people who have been round a while don't like going over the same thing millions of times (although this is where searching the forum is so useful)
11) Right in the beginning ask for Da codes. There will be plently of people online to help you out

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Newbi2basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2002 14:27
12) Dont take drugs. They only make you more stupid.
13) Coffee is now your friend
14) If you get stuck and hitting a brick Wall in your thinking. take a break.
15) Think out algorythim it helps you know what your doing and why
16) If your not sure ask.. sometimes the help files can be a bit confusing
17) Don't get angry if no one replies to your topic. Pm some people and ask if they can surf over to your topic and help them

Thats all from me

"When all is lost and you have nothing to lose. Thats the time to win stuff back..." Newbi2basic 23:33 26th august 2002
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 02:04
Hmmm...

12) Don't know about that... think rock and roll! Damn fine weird ideas when you are off your head. Could even keep up with the French then...
13) No no. Proplus is your friend. Coffee is for getting to sleep in comparison.
14) Or keep at it until you reach a zen like state of sleeplessness where all answers are found... sort of, as long as they are bubble shaped.. gibber...
15) Or create the algorithm/structure diagram after completing the code... after all, worked in University!
16) But at least know you have to press F1 every now and again...
17) Remember, the forums are nowhere as busy as they used to be. Once things get rolling again, it will be quite good again for help and stuff

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2002 02:10
Oh yeah, seriously though I did think of another one...

18) Do the graphics/effects/models etc last. Use rubbish ones/other peoples (even cubes) for the time being till you get the main coding down. No point polishing off weeks of work time on cool models when you realise there is no physical way your game can work without 2001 type AI etc etc. Also it shows you are getting somewhere if you get the code working. Stuff pretty screenshots of nice robots on large plains when nothing actually happens. Looks good to everyone else, but gets you nowhere fast, and kindof builds an addiction to produce more nice screens when you haven't even got a game behind it.

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 02:56
19) Stick with it. If you get bored with things after the initial rush and start taking ages over little things (high scores etc) then do something else, start another project, whatever, just make sure you get back to it. Note that out of all the advise I've spilled out over the years this is the absolute no.1 tip that I seriously do NOT follow myself. I really struggle to finish things off once they lose their initial novelty value. Check out my website if you don't believe me... sigh... I've even got a 500Mb "new" site to transfer my webspace to at some point (only had it - paid for too - for about 6 months... doh..).

Anyhow, point is a project is for life, not just for the neat little bits... hmmmm, not bad... must.... follow.... own.... advise....

Cheers

Arminus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2002 04:27
20) Don't go to code right away, your program will fail, at least work out how you are going to do it first. And Please write Algorithms, this lets you work out the logic first and make more efficiant code!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 22:49
(^_^)
Games and programs are almost completely planning and design, if you don't then expect it to take a L-O-N-G time or even never finish. Also expect alot of bugs
If your working on a game you'd work like this ...

Basic Story - 2D Platformer, where your a hedgehog who can run fast and have to save lil bunnies from being trapped in robots
Need a Goal too like, collecting Rings
Planning - A Scrolling World, Gradual Speed Up/Down, Collision, Gravity, Hit, Die, Attack
<-> Now We Code <->
Character Design - Blue Hedgehog, Little Rabbit Robot, Robot/Cyber Worlds, Powerups, Traps, Fat Guy with a Moustash
Character Creation - So all the animations they'll need, you plan and make now ...
Finalise Coding - This is adding special powerups, animations to everything, effects, scoring system

et voila then your ready to release it, after that you try to find all the bugs that say crash the game when you reach 100rings or something... and add extra worlds

Also whenever you're coding until you get good, keep the DarkBASIC HTML Manual handy. It is easier to read than the actual DB Manual, and quicker to find what you need.
Once you have a good understanding of certain parts you'll find that you'll use it less and less. However it'll solve most of you main problems, becuase most "why does this not work?" questions can be answered ... "because you wrote the function wrong!" althought usually in a nicer way, unless someone has about had enough of all the questions like that.
Tutorials also help BIG! So read through them and hard code them, becuase I personally found trying to remake the tutorials within DB part by part actually helped me understand what everything did far easier than a simple explaination.

Once you have planning down, then the rest is just a case of getting the idea that you've planned out into something that DB can understand. You'll find that development times are alot less if you have a planned problem than if you simply code and come to a fork in the road

As you learn to code more and more, planning will probably be able to be done in your head with a simple game plan. But we can't all pickup DB and suddenly *ping* be geniuses

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Neva eva curse inside a forum...it gives ya a bad impression

2. neva eva ask questions that you can answer yourself...
For example: Of you wanted to see if a for-loop can loop until x (or whateva) equals a real number...try it yourself!

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 23:16
2. neva eva ask questions that you can answer yourself...
For example: Of you wanted to see if a for-loop can loop until x (or whateva) equals a real number...try it yourself!

Totally agree with this, if you try stuff for yourself first you will learn faster- this is how a proper programmer works. 'Finding Solutions', YOU WILL ALWAYS ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS, try to make your brain think and work it out, if you cant, feel free to ask! Most people will give you a quick overview of how to do it yourself, so you know for next time.

24) Never fear, their are many advanced programmers here.
25) Dont throw db out the window or leave it on your desk untill it disintigrates just because you cant find a problem. For every problem THERE IS a solution.

...:::ShockForge:::...
www.shockforge.com www.havochost.com www.s8i.com
...:::ShockForge:::...
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 14:51
27) dont fear large amounts of code, you are only focusing on a small part each time until its all apparant

28) dont stop learning new ways to do things

29) write a mini snippet about the problem at hand and work on this until u crack it, then u will have a clear way to insert into your larger project.
this helps to put your game together if these mini scripts all share the same variables

30) always header your code and name it correctly so stuff is easier to find later on

31) remark your code always you will forget older code as you move on that might have some parts u want to identify

32) Backup like a Mad Dog

indi is part of Team Lunarpixel
multimedia logisitics and interactive media
vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 16:49
38)Always eat your vegtables.

WHY WAIT FOR GAMES.......MAKE THEM COME TO YOU
>>>>>>>>>>>www.shark-software.20m.com<<<<<<<<<<<
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 07:10
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 21:41
-(33)-(37) re-open

lol Indi,was that DG's post? ;P

33-Have respect for everyone

34-Read(hopefully soon) the DaCodes thread regularly to learn what NOT to do.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
nercrotosist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 17:33
35- Most important of all....HAVE FUN!!!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 01:58
36) The Dark Basic Users Manual should now be considered one of your favorite books ever written

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 15:56
37) Smack you head quite brutaly against your monitor if you don't seem to get that one thing right on which you have already cracked you brain for so long! We've all been there.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 20:06
38) We have?

noobie game designer
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 22:31
39) When you have problems with a piece of code and ask about it on the forum, include a snippet! This makes it far easier to understand and fix the problem.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 23:32
40) When your frustrated, some say throwing the keyboard at the neighbors cat helps. I say throw it at the neighbor

But seriously- if you get frustrated, take a break, eat some food, take a shower, try to clear your mind then come back and have a go at it

RPGamer

cybersamurai
Years of Service
User Offline
Quoting RPGamer:
"But seriously- if you get frustrated, take a break, eat some food"

no wonder 15% of children are obese

Rusty Gears
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 18:18
41) If you really get stuck you can always politely ask the Forums to 'Gimmeee da codes!!!!'

It's never as easy as it looks!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 04:37
Whenever I get stuck I try to take a break. Sit on the couch, lay down, relax. Clear the mind and the spirit

Lol

RPGamer

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 18:11
make sure u keep a pen n paper near your bed, It amazes me how I solve things when I start to drift off to sleep.
IT makes me want to power up again and try it, I leave it for the morning but write down as much as possible.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 05:36
42) If you need a simple 3D tool for objects or character models get Milkshape. 30 day trial, easy to use, and cost less than $50.

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
El_Milonga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 13:33
43)
(I think)
In Spanish: Folla mucho y no mires con quién...
In English: Be a good guy and don't stop dreaming...

Milongas al poder y rubias a sus lados!!
maxxl
Years of Service
User Offline
-Not very easy to search inside a forum without a search engine.How can you find something among more than 6 forums and more than 2000 threads ?? maybe something missing here.
-Second time I am asking for something , not very complicated I think, for all the talented people we can find here ... so .... I concur, OK, maybe there's no clue.. and Dark Basic is probably not thee tool I need to create a little maze on the fly.
Thanks

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 11:14
Why add your post onto the end of a thread long gone? Why not create a new topic? And more importantly - DB can easily create a maze on the fly and there are various bits of code around to show how it's done. Have you actually tried doing it (in which cases what steps did you take, etc) or are you just posting to say it's impossible?

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 20:02
A new topic, not a post here. bUT WHILE WE'RE ON THE TOPI

44) One question, one post. NO MUTILPE POSTING OF THE SAME QUESTION!!!

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a suggestion: Buy a mountain!

Why did I say that? I think it is very hard for anyone to stick with their idea, but if you stick to it, you can accomplish it. Don't be afraid to ask any quesions, we all did.

Men are Kings... Kings are Rulers... Rulers are 30 cm... Still think you are a man?!
wenching
Years of Service
User Offline
I am new to darkBasic. What is the difference between darkBasic and darkBasic professional? Is the syntax identical? Can anyone tell about this please?

Thank you.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching

wenching
Years of Service
User Offline
Is darkBasic meant for PC platforms or console platforms like XBOx or PS2?

Thank you.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching

Scorpion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 00:48
>>18) Do the graphics/effects/models etc last. Use rubbish
>>ones/other peoples (even cubes) for the time being till
>>you get the main coding down. No point polishing off
>>weeks of work time on cool models when you realise there
>>is no physical way your game can work without 2001 type
>>AI etc etc. Also it shows you are getting somewhere if
>>you get the code working. Stuff pretty screenshots of
>>nice robots on large plains when nothing actually
>>happens. Looks good to everyone else, but gets you
>>nowhere fast, and kindof builds an addiction to produce
>>more nice screens when you haven't even got a game behind
>>it.

Good point, well made, Dazzag - I get the feeling a lot of 'real' game devco's fall into that trap far too often...

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2003 05:44
>>18) Do the graphics/effects/models etc last.

I don't fully agree with this one. True you should keep up on the code and don't waist all of your time on the graphics. But if you happen to make some really awesome graphics/models but then later abandon the project, you can always scrap these together and use them for a different game or just simply offer them to DB community. Besides, working with the graphics is half of the game. Don't always assume that the graphics you produce in Max, TS, Rhino, or any other modeller (or regular paint program) will look the same in the game. Each model/animation/sprite has to be tweaked just right to produce the effect that you are looking for. And remember, the quality of your objects will affect game speed. So don't expect DarkMATTER's low poly colt (two rectangular prisms) to run at the same FPS (frames per second) as a 7,800 poly 48,200 vertex Luger (which I unfortunately made, so much for quality models). Thus, I think that you should work on the graphics as you need them.

Wenching; DarkBASIC (DB) is for PCs with a Windows OS (and DriectX 7). DarkBASIC Professional (DBP) is also for PCs with Windows but require DirectX 8.1. From what I understand (mind you I don't own DBP) DBP uses mostly the same syntax as DB and has many more feature that are well worth your money. If you are thinking about buying DBP, you should probably visit the DBP discussion. There is usually a thread going about buying DBP or not and the people who reply generally offer the many pros and the few cons of DBP.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
45) Keep your code readable, and lots of comments, but at the same time make it so only you can understand it. It helps when a friend "magically sees your Dark Basic Code"....

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2003 09:00
4.6026817 x 10E27) If you gt confused, don't go staight to the forums. Read the manual. Sit down of a couch and think about it. Logically and illogically. Rationally and irrationally. I can't count the number of times a newbie has posted something that was so stikingly obvious i'm amazed they didn't think of it.

"But we couldn't do that Mr Flibble," questioned Rimmer. "Who'd clean up the mess?"
--Twin P4 Xeon, GeForce Quadro 4 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, Hee Hee Hee--
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
46+1) Make sure you look through the commands before making a complicated equation to centre a sprite when there is just Offset sprite.

Hey wait, I'm a n00b... Stupid advice. You're too late!!

AGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 22:19
48(I think)
Take regular brakes even if youre not stuck

Is there any point in doing anything as our life is meaningless anyway
Murdock743
Years of Service
User Offline
49 Yelling and screming get you nothing.
50 We are here to learn not yell at each other.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 17:26
Rule X) READ THE DANGED COMMANDS LIST!!!

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
aw2050
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 17:00
The annoying thing is when the 'Danged Commands List' doesn't find the thing you're looking for. Eg if I wanted to create a cylinder and I looked up 'Cylinder' it wouldnt find it. Needs a better search tool or... aha! a forum

iac249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 04:29
1. Write structured code, or you'll paint yourself into a corner! Read some books on structured programming techniques if you need to.

2. Map out your project. Use flow charts or psuedo code, so you have an idea how your game is supposed to be structured before you start coding it.

3. Document your code with lots of comments! Otherwise, if you put it down for a few weeks, then come back to it, you'll have a heck of a time trying to figure out what you were doing!

x-d
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 03:28
Ahem, I meant your commands MANUAL. Look it up the old fassioned way- you youngins have plenty of energy to not have to use your high tech fancy pants seaching Heh heh Seriously, I always use the book, never the DB built in list.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2003 23:32
I always use the online help, never the manual, because it's only a keypress away... (F1 for those of you who don't know), rather than having to get up and fetch it from my bookshelf. Plus the online help is context sensitive!

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 11:41
50+X) save your work often. you never know when something stupid (like my cat) will come along and try to update your code.

hey cause stuff happens.

Old coder, returning to DB (DBP)
Tone Eternal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 22:53
Just a newbie reading the guidelines, much makes sense. I wont get ready for a huge project until I know how to make a tiny one.. lol..

but someone mentioned that I should write Algorithms first... What is an Algorithm?
jimbo1913
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 21:59
An algorithm is a collection of bugs (well mine are anyway.......)

Just got DB this weekend!! Watch this space - a version of Pong is on its way.

from future review of next game....
'..while the programmer of this game may not be God-like he certainly represents the next step in human evolution. (10/10).'
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 00:11
An algorithm is a sequence of instructions that does a specific task. If you can think up an algorithm for every little task in your game, you've got a starting point for your coding.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
AlphaOmega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 13:40
Rule nr. 8032

This is a very nice forum, but when i'm seeking a code-snippet, it's usual for DB-Pro..
So.. I've created a forum, just for DB-Classic..
You can post your Code Snippets in there, and if you need help, you can post it there too...
Regestration is free and very fast. It's easy to post, edit, and quote.
As I saw at this forum, some people get sick when they cannot edit their posts, it's possible at my forum...

just goto: http://www.dbc-forum.tk and join now...

Regards, Harold Iedema

blather
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 09:09
Say it alloud with me:
"I am new to this like so many before me. As I progress I will learn to use DarkBasic to the best of my abilities. There will be problems along the way but I know where toget help. In the end it is left up to me to correct the mistakes, edit the code and not to depend on others to do the work for me."
:-s
1) GET THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE! [see home page, upper right quad]
2) READ THE F'n BOOK![trust me, if you know nothing, it helps]
3) DO THE EXAMPLES AFTER YOU READ THE CHAPTER! [do the quiz for fun]
4) POST YOUR CODE WITH THE QUESTION![pleas put it in context to what you are doing]
5) WATCH YOUR' SPELLING AND SYNTAX![my first few post were corrected because of spelling and syntax]
6) DID YOU READ EVERYTHING ON THIS TOPIC OR JUST SKIP TO THE BOTTOM?
7) Search for topics or posts related to your' question first then if nothing is found ask.[remember, many of the people here post on the link sites aswell]
8) If you do it right the first time, save the program, copy and paste to a second screen and play arround with it.
9) remember, I am very new too, and will be posting right along with you.
10) NOW GET OUT THERE AND HAVE SOME FUN!

"N. foolish talk esp. in great quantity"
Webster's

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 19:37:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 19:37:15