Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBP : Dungeon Map...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 18:42
Hi,

I am wanting to create a dungeon style map level and was wondering which is best, performance wise..

1. Making lots of little objects, such as corners, dorrways, wall segments etc.. and peicing them together within DB

or

2. Make the entire base map (except for furniture and stuff) and throw it into DB as ONE object?

Obviously the latter method will have many more polys than the first (per object, i mean)

So which is best? Opinions please....

Thanks

** If GOD would have wanted us to walk around NAKED, he would have made us be born that way **
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 02:53 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 02:54
I suggest a middle ground and try something like what Diablo did: small sections and level models joined together at doors and corridors. While DBP can support a lot of polygons, it does have an object limit. Using pre-fabs is safer and generally eaiser to code, especially if you borrow some dungeon design ideas from Rogue or NetHack.
--
TAZ

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 19:42
Check out the huge dungeon tutorial in developers network.

Current Projects: 'Level Editor 3D' and 'Animation Package v2.0'
aneale5@orange.esinet.org.uk
Intruder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 00:18
couldnt find one m8..

i dont suppose you could post a link please...

thanks

** If GOD would have wanted us to walk around NAKED, he would have made us be born that way **
Nitro Methane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 08:29
[href]http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

Tommy
Intruder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2004 21:46
thanks for the link m8..

:lol: i was in the completely wrong section.. doh!

anywayz, wrong type of dungeon for what i need but a very handy document to have anywayz...

cheerz!

kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 00:40
ya i edited the huge dungeon to use keyboard keys and added music

i used to be kidsa the random one i guess im not as random anymore.

any language used by me will be dbpro(saves me a lot of typing)
Intruder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 01:26
dont get me wrong its a great system.. especially for HUGE complex dungeons, but sadly NOT what i need..

I need small, compat, detailed levels... (for an advanture, tables, chests and stuff)

s'pose i'll have to make most of it by hand but i was just wondering if there was a tool that could build the dungeon shell (as an .x object or other 3d model)

kidsa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 22:10
yellow is working on a level editor. I dont know how that works yet

there is a map thing to make smaller maps in there(the tutoial not yellows thing)

i used to be kidsa the random one i guess im not as random anymore.

any language used by me will be dbpro(saves me a lot of typing)
LordAnki
Years of Service
User Offline
are you talking about like in Baulder's Gate type levels?

You should make the main base of the map as a .x or .3ds file or sumthin. But i'm not an expert or anything just giving you ideas.
Intruder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 14:43
well the level-areas are gonna be quite small and you will pass from one to the other via certain doors. (kinda like res evil) but the levels will hopefully be detailed so my question really was,

is it better to build the whole section, with furniture, details and all, as one .x file

or

build the shell of the section (ie Just walls and floor) and then load and furnish the section at runtime ?

Bear in mind that i'm gonna have lots of furniture and detail...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 06:34:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 06:34:57