Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MS Released Free .NET C++ Compiler!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 00:28 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 00:29
Are my eyes deceiving me? This is great news. It doesn't have an IDE, but it's the same compiler as .NET 2003!!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Some people recommend reading the EULA carefully, but this is great news for people who want to have a go at using .NET but can't cough up the money.

EDIT: Info taken straight from site:

Overview

The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows and the .NET Common Language Runtime:

* Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

* C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included with Visual Studio.

* Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime. Visual C++ can optionally build applications that target the Common Language
Runtime (CLR).

* Sample code. The toolkit includes four samples designed to showcase the powerful new features of the 2003 version, including new optimization capabilities, features to improve code-security and robustness, enhanced ISO C++ standards support, and the ability to use the .NET Framework library and target the CLR.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 00:30
not to burst your bubble but the compiler has always been free since .net's inception.

have fun

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo and FULL versions now available!!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 10:00
so I bought the standard edition ov VC++ .net, which means it uses the "un-optomizing" compiler... but I got the IDE and debugger, etc.

I wonder if I can download this kit, and then use the optimizing compiler with my IDE, etc? that would be like getting the Pro version for the standard price!!!

I gotta give it a try!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 10:26
No. The free versions come without an optimiser

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 12:53
Quote: "* Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!
"

I downloaded it and tried it out, it appears to have the optimizing features... one of the code samples shows how to compile with different optimizations, and you cann see the results...

I could be wrong, but it seems like the PRO version...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:00 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 13:01
From the web site :

Quote: "Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional"

The only problem I can see with this is either you've got to find an IDE and set it up, or use the command-line...

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:28
that's why I'm all excited. I spent the $200 on the basic edition, so I have the IDE, and the debugger, etc... but I was dissappointed to find out that it didn't come with an optimizing compiler.

I'm pretty sure I can download this, and then just tell my IDE to use this compiler instead of my current one, and I'll be able to activate the optimizing functions!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:39 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 13:50
Quote: "but I was dissappointed to find out that it didn't come with an optimizing compiler.
"

You mean the standard version ? Yes, it is annoying, but I doubt you would actually see a speed difference with the optimisation system fully active...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 15:09
Do you mean to say that I was wrong?

I think that you are right about the speed difference. Unless you actually use a lot of inline code or templated code you are not going to notice much difference at all.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 15:17
Quote: "Do you mean to say that I was wrong?"

Whilst the chances of you being wrong are slim, in this case... you were...

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 15:49
huh. from what I understand the SSE optimizations help programs with lots of floating-point math... so it's at least worth a try I think!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 16:13 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 16:14
Dont know about SSE optimisations, but the ones in Pro are different (unless your thinking about floating point maths where you can improve the accuracy - apparently).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 18:29:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 18:29:04